HTC Vive Price Cut, Now $799 CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 12:19 am
Jan 10, 2016
49 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Hey
Can you elaborate the racing game you played and the specs of the pc used, mainly the video card.
Thanks
Jan 10, 2016
49 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
bosanac12 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 8:20 pm
Until you try VR don't call it a fad.

After trying VR with proper racing games its such incredible experience I was speechless,

the difference is so big (immersion factor) I just can't play racing games on monitor anymore.
Hey
Can you elaborate the racing game you played and the specs of the pc used, mainly the video card.
Thanks
Nov 20, 2016
98 posts
84 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 6:48 pm
There's a reason why they are reducing their prices. It is because VR is obviously a fad that is already winding down a lot. It's like 3D TVs.

I don't see why anyone would invest money in something like this.

When consumers want to play, they want to relax. They don't want to get "immersed" in something that blocks away reality. They don't want to wear a huge, ugly helmet and stare at goggles that make them queasy if they move their head around.

It's only a matter of time before Vive, Oculus and all the others are abandoned, like 3D TVs or the Microsoft Kinect. It is called, a solution in search of a problem. But nobody had problems playing with a 2D screens, and nobody will then these devices are all discontinued.
Given that you can use as many virtual screens as you want in VR, of any size, and that the only current limiting factors are wires, miniaturization, and resolution - completely solvable problems I am sure you will agree - why would anyone in the future buy a screen at all? VR is not the fad... Screens will be judged by history as the fad...
Oct 29, 2016
63 posts
23 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 7:36 pm
I don't think so actually, it is abnormal to the body when you appear to be moving around, without the gravitational forces that would typically accompany it.

Most people play after a long day of work, or just to relax on the couch. Worrying about whether your device will make you sick is too much of a cost of entry for anyone but the extremely dedicated, and I really doubt these are numerous enough to have a market all for themselves.
You're not everyone. Chill dude, VR isn't for everyone but it is for some.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3889 posts
990 upvotes
whoa-albert wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 8:12 pm
There's always that one person talking out of their ass in these kinds of topics. :facepalm:
Well the market thinks the same as me. Take all the best-selling games on the market, and only a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of them are played in VR. If this was such a hit, HTC wouldn't be forced to make a price cut to sell it at a loss, when their financial results have dreadful for quite a few years now. You don't see Apple cutting the prices of their iPhone, a device that is always in considerable demand, before another unit has been released to replace it.

I'm not surprised that many people who spent more than a grand in one of these systems are so keen to justify it.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Jan 12, 2017
18 posts
35 upvotes
kauljppp wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 9:02 pm
Hey
Thanks
I don't own HTC or Oculus but friend has HTC Vive.

So I tried the following games with HTC Vive.

Live for Speed
Project Cars 2 (game is not out yet its internal beta phase so maybe there is more fps coming before release)
Assetto Corsa
iRacing

Friends pc specs i7 6700k ,nvidia 1080, 16 gigs ram.

Graphically it looked incredible with Project Cars 2 but fps performance felt weak it was mid 40 ish

Had no issues with AC only when 15+ cars appeared on screen it would drop below 60fps.

Live for speed ran the best.

iRacing I ran only solo free practice there was no other cars around so fps was no issue. I would assume iRacing would be good fps too since its old game engine.

Only thing I noticed in all the games is if you look far into horizon it looks blurry but otherwise the sense of awareness and immersion, just feeling the speed and looking at every apex when cornering was crazy impressive.

In Assetto Corsa just getting out of car walking around it was insane.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5280 posts
1893 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Nice to see so many fellow VR enthusiasts here!!!

I've already made a thread about this earlier, but since a few people are interested in some good VR racing and may have missed it, Assetto Corsa is 60% off ($13.19) for a one day sale on Steam.
steam-assetto-corsa-13-19-all-dlc-60-st ... l-2120955/

It looks like it ends tomorrow, Aug 22nd at midnight.

All of the DLC is also 60% off, and the Porsche Season Pass is an even better deal at 71% off ($6.72).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/Assetto_Corsa/

I find that Assetto Corsa is better optimized than pCARS is for VR, at least frame-rate wise on my system (GTX 1080 & i7-3770).

Considering pCARS 2 is being built with VR in mind since early development, my fingers crossed that it will be much improved.
Feb 15, 2011
230 posts
74 upvotes
I've been with VR since they announced the Rift...Been a big DK2 user for a long time, and a Vive DK user as well, but haven't been able to get my hands on a retail Rift.

Until the sale.

Playing the Oculus developed games with Touch is literally mind blowing. It's seriously next level, and I'd recommend that anyone who loves video games, and calls VR a fad to actually try VR.

It's a game changer and I can't see how it's going to evolve.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2625 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
tazz131 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 10:53 pm
I've been with VR since they announced the Rift...Been a big DK2 user for a long time, and a Vive DK user as well, but haven't been able to get my hands on a retail Rift.

Until the sale.

Playing the Oculus developed games with Touch is literally mind blowing. It's seriously next level, and I'd recommend that anyone who loves video games, and calls VR a fad to actually try VR.

It's a game changer and I can't see how it's going to evolve.
Go to Yorkdale and the Microsoft store has the vive that you can try. I played it for 20 minutes and was sold. I didn't want to drop $1300 on it after tax. But at $905 all in, I may have to pull the trigger. It's a hard choice between vive and oculus though at $622 after tax.

I almost bought the DK2, but decided to wait to see what Sony and Microsoft were going to announce that E3. Sure enough in waiting that 2 weeks for E3, facebook announced they bought oculus and I refused to buy it.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2002
4853 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
Super_Chicken wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 11:38 pm
Go to Yorkdale and the Microsoft store has the vive that you can try. I played it for 20 minutes and was sold. I didn't want to drop $1300 on it after tax. But at $905 all in, I may have to pull the trigger. It's a hard choice between vive and oculus though at $622 after tax.

I almost bought the DK2, but decided to wait to see what Sony and Microsoft were going to announce that E3. Sure enough in waiting that 2 weeks for E3, facebook announced they bought oculus and I refused to buy it.
You have to add another $80 for the 3rd Rift sensor for proper roomscale, with more cables and setup. Controllers, weight and integrated headphones are superior on the Rift though, so you have to consider all aspects. I'm still happy with my Rift purchase, but I can see how Vive has more robust roomscale with the lighthouse sensors - the VR arcades I've seen so far use Vive exclusively.

On a side note, Lucky's Tale really surprised me. Fairly simple platformer, but the graphics and immersion really suck you in.
Last edited by Angultra on Aug 21st, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5280 posts
1893 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Super_Chicken wrote:

Perhaps I can possibly help you with your decision with a lower co$t. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

If you order an Oculus Rift directly from their online store it's only $549 all-in (no shipping, taxes or duties are charged).
https://www.oculus.com/rift/

A 3rd Sensor with a free 16' USB 2.0 cable included is just an additional $79.
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/

That gets you 99% of the Vive's room-scale abilities, for $628 all-in, but with a much nicer HMD.

Facebook or not, I still prefer the Rift hardware over the Vive (I own both).....and this is coming from someone who loathes Facebook & loves Valve/Steam.

Geez, it kinda sounds like I'm poopin' on my own thread, but I do like the Rift somewhat better.....just thought this new $799 Vive pricing was enticing for those who were on the fence at the old $1149 price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7599 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
Super_Chicken wrote:

Rift's main advantage over the Oculus was the inclusion of hand controllers from the very start. Now that Oculus has touch support, I would say they are pretty much on even ground.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3008 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
Bought the vive on release, used it for a month and returned it for a refund. Reading the reviews it seems the game selection is still extremely weak. As in mostly wave shooters. No point getting this, I have a pc for vr and I still don't want to buy vr because the games are just so boring.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3755 posts
531 upvotes
Kitchener
Waiting for gen 2 wireless headsets!
This space is intentionally left blank.