• Sep 22nd, 2017 12:19 am
Feb 16, 2005
746 posts
262 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 2:58 am
Waiting for gen 2 wireless headsets!
They are not coming anytime soon.
Hey you! Stop! This is the TIV POLICE get down on your hands and knees and let go of that stack of Fallout New Vegas NOW!
Oct 19, 2011
385 posts
89 upvotes
alexkidd wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:26 am
They are not coming anytime soon.
well thats ok. im patient since gen1 sucks dick. in 10 years people will look at these like we look at the virtual boy.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1203 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Just showing some of my footages of VR in the Oculus Rift.

CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3008 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
mcfart wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:35 am
well thats ok. im patient since gen1 sucks dick. in 10 years people will look at these like we look at the virtual boy.
I'm the same, I rather wait a couple years and buy gen 2 or whoever comes out with the next best thing. It's suprising how shitty the graphics look in the vive headset, you actually see the pixels even with the mod.
Oct 19, 2011
385 posts
89 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 7:27 am
I'm the same, I rather wait a couple years and buy gen 2 or whoever comes out with the next best thing. It's suprising how shitty the graphics look in the vive headset, you actually see the pixels even with the mod.
Lol, gen4-5 for me MAYBE. If VR hits it off big like the iPhone did. I'm not gonna be an early adopter when hardware will be rapidly accelerating every 1-2 years/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8233 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
thats why you goto internet cafes to play them.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
1769 posts
177 upvotes
People maybe thinking about old experiences with VR.

The Oculus Rift with Touch controllers is amazing. Moving your fingers around and it detects it is awesome. It's like a full body scan on the screen.

There seems to be a quite a bit of content as well. I have only been playing the free shooters (robo recall and dead and buried) + Superhot VR since I got it and they are so much fun.

They only delivered me the headset at first and that alone isn't very fun, when you add the sensors and their touch controllers, its another level. PSVR can't compete with these controllers, they make a huge difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1203 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
killuminati wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 8:42 am
People maybe thinking about old experiences with VR.

The Oculus Rift with Touch controllers is amazing. Moving your fingers around and it detects it is awesome. It's like a full body scan on the screen.

There seems to be a quite a bit of content as well. I have only been playing the free shooters (robo recall and dead and buried) + Superhot VR since I got it and they are so much fun.

They only delivered me the headset at first and that alone isn't very fun, when you add the sensors and their touch controllers, its another level. PSVR can't compete with these controllers, they make a huge difference.
Calling it a full body scan is an exaggeration cuz it obviously doesn't detect anything other than the head and the hands, but I did find the Oculus touch controllers quite impressive. The top shooter games like Arizona Sunshine, Robo Recall, and Superhot VR are fun. I have yet to try Raw Data.

Arizona Sunshine has very good gun play. The feel and sound of the guns are quite food. Landing headshots, hearing and seeing the heads explode are quite satisfying. Doing something like a Mexican stand off with Zombies coming in a few directions is quite interesting. Normally in fps you always see what you shoot. Here, you can shoot one thing and look elsewhere.

The downside for me is I get nauseated a little too easily. Something like project cars and other flying demos made me dizzy.
Last edited by LKane1 on Aug 22nd, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
May 21, 2014
672 posts
841 upvotes
Alberta, AB
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 6:48 pm
There's a reason why they are reducing their prices. It is because VR is obviously a fad that is already winding down a lot. It's like 3D TVs.

I don't see why anyone would invest money in something like this.

When consumers want to play, they want to relax. They don't want to get "immersed" in something that blocks away reality. They don't want to wear a huge, ugly helmet and stare at goggles that make them queasy if they move their head around.

It's only a matter of time before Vive, Oculus and all the others are abandoned, like 3D TVs or the Microsoft Kinect. It is called, a solution in search of a problem. But nobody had problems playing with a 2D screens, and nobody will then these devices are all discontinued.
Wow.. you are so incredibly wrong about this.
Mahawka :)
Mar 15, 2008
246 posts
47 upvotes
mcfart wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:35 am
Why bother with any video games then? In 10 years anything right now will look dated/obsolete.
Apr 19, 2017
40 posts
28 upvotes
User381589 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 11:07 am
How would an rx580 8gb handle it?
I'd say it would run well. I was running a 970 for a long time and had no issues with any games.

If you notice any framerate issues, you can always just lower the SuperSampling
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1568 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I've been a Vive since last fall, I ended up having to build a new HTPC to run the thing.

I've shown it to a variety of people, young and old and everyone was really impressed with how well it works considering it's essentially a 1st gen product.

I was really concerned about getting nauseous while playing but the majority of games handle locomotion well. The head tracking and screen refresh is so quick that even people who were really concerned about motion sickness had no issues.
The body movement without actually moving is the only thing that trips me up. Luckily room scale games exist with teleportation and that solves a lot of problems.

I will agree that a lot of the games are more "tech demo" than full fledged 50+ hour Action/RPG type game, but there have been a few really good 8-10 experiences in the horror genre. Chair in a Room was one of them.

If this headset comes with the standard design velcro head bands, I'd recommend picking up the deluxe audio headband, it really helps balance the headset and makes it easy to switch between players.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4808 posts
598 upvotes
GVR
IMO, the price drop is only to reflect its 18 months of age in technology. So really, it's not really a price drop in a sense.