HTC Vive Price Cut, Now $799 CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 2:51 am
Mar 15, 2008
231 posts
40 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 1:02 pm
IMO, the price drop is only to reflect its 18 months of age in technology. So really, it's not really a price drop in a sense.
I can see where you are coming from, but Id have to disagree. The first polished non-tech demo type games are only really starting to trickle out at this point. Id argue that the games/developers are still catching up to the headset tech.
Oct 19, 2005
769 posts
74 upvotes
Brampton
There are some sort of contents once you try in VR you will be amazed. You know what I'm talking about lol!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Aug 22nd, 2017 10:32 pm
There are some sort of contents once you try in VR you will be amazed. You know what I'm talking about lol!!
I've seen too many episodes of CSI.

......think twice before you ask to try out someone's VR headset. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1186 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
So did anybody actually take advantage of this deal? The Oculus Rift deal thread was loaded with people asking about shipping arrivals times, etc, presumably because so many people ordered them.

Is it safe to say this HTC Vive price drop is not getting the same kind of enthusiasm?
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
8305 posts
2646 upvotes
To be honest i was waiting for vive price drop or a good sale and past on the oculus deal But then i was in the states last month and they had oculus old bundle in store so i bought it.

I would of bought this instead but now having the oculus thats good enough.
ING Direct since the beginning!
BuyBuyBuy O Why
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7532 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:33 am
So did anybody actually take advantage of this deal? The Oculus Rift deal thread was loaded with people asking about shipping arrivals times, etc, presumably because so many people ordered them.

Is it safe to say this HTC Vive price drop is not getting the same kind of enthusiasm?
Probably because they are functional equivalent, and the Rift is currently cheaper $250 cheaper.
Apr 19, 2017
36 posts
25 upvotes
If anyone has any questions for a Vive owner, let me know!
I've had one for 6 months now and I'd be happy to share my experiences with it.
Nov 9, 2005
699 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 6:48 pm
There's a reason why they are reducing their prices. It is because VR is obviously a fad that is already winding down a lot. It's like 3D TVs.

I don't see why anyone would invest money in something like this.

When consumers want to play, they want to relax. They don't want to get "immersed" in something that blocks away reality. They don't want to wear a huge, ugly helmet and stare at goggles that make them queasy if they move their head around.

It's only a matter of time before Vive, Oculus and all the others are abandoned, like 3D TVs or the Microsoft Kinect. It is called, a solution in search of a problem. But nobody had problems playing with a 2D screens, and nobody will then these devices are all discontinued.
Have you used one of the new VR headsets yet? They're amazing! Expensive, but amazing!

VR gaming and video is absolutely the future. There will eventually be a breakout VR product that is affordable and high quality, when that happens the market for VR content will explode and we'll see a bigger adoption.
Jul 17, 2017
9 posts
Like someone else said, VR for driving games is a game-changer! I can never go back to non-VR racing again. The SDE is certainly there, but almost forgotten when you're in the middle of a good race.

And for what it's worth, I have a 5x5 play area and running room-scale VR with just 2 oculus sensors. I find the tracking to be better than when I had the HTC VIVE, but I have the oculus sensors mounted on 8ft high mounts pointed down 45 degrees, exactly how I had the HTC lighthouses mounted. I think the better tracking is due to the rift having sensors on the back of the HMD where the VIVE does not.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2002
4803 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
Newpunk wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:05 am
Have you used one of the new VR headsets yet? They're amazing! Expensive, but amazing!

VR gaming and video is absolutely the future. There will eventually be a breakout VR product that is affordable and high quality, when that happens the market for VR content will explode and we'll see a bigger adoption.
The rumoured $200US Oculus standalone sounds promising, with the Gear VR and Daydream bundled with phones it's helping mainstream adoption. Wireless Rift / Vive and inside-out tracking will be game changers, although years away. Less cords the better.

Current tech definitely impresses though, and makes me exited for the future.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1186 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.pcgamer.com/htc-could-be-get ... _pcgamerfb
HTC could be getting out of the VR business

The company is struggling and may sell off the Vive.
Ouch.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
8305 posts
2646 upvotes
nishg88 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 1:39 pm
Like someone else said, VR for driving games is a game-changer! I can never go back to non-VR racing again. The SDE is certainly there, but almost forgotten when you're in the middle of a good race.

And for what it's worth, I have a 5x5 play area and running room-scale VR with just 2 oculus sensors. I find the tracking to be better than when I had the HTC VIVE, but I have the oculus sensors mounted on 8ft high mounts pointed down 45 degrees, exactly how I had the HTC lighthouses mounted. I think the better tracking is due to the rift having sensors on the back of the HMD where the VIVE does not.
I just tried project cars and wow.
BuyBuyBuy O Why
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
blazed16 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:29 pm
I just tried project cars and wow.

That's great, nice to hear more people impressed and getting into it.

I'm curious though, what are your system specs, simply the CPU/GPU/RAM?

I ask because pCARS isn't very well optimized, and doesn't even run perfectly on a beefy system.

Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, RaceRoom, iRacing, etc. all seem to be able to have higher frame-rates and graphical settings than pCARS.

I'm really hoping that pCARS 2 runs better in VR, and from what I've seen so far it does because it was built from the ground up with VR in mind.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
8305 posts
2646 upvotes
Woah! wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 2:40 pm
That's great, nice to hear more people impressed and getting into it.

I'm curious though, what are your system specs, simply the CPU/GPU/RAM?

I ask because pCARS isn't very well optimized, and doesn't even run perfectly on a beefy system.

Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, RaceRoom, iRacing, etc. all seem to be able to have higher frame-rates and graphical settings than pCARS.

I'm really hoping that pCARS 2 runs better in VR, and from what I've seen so far it does because it was built from the ground up with VR in mind.
I have vr set up to a 6700k, 1060 6gb and 32gb 3000 ram.
I dont know what the frame rates were ill check tonight. But i had no blurring or hickups that some reported.
Only issues i be having is usb ports the sensors tell me poor tracking or drivers didnt load and its not a cheap motherboard but im buying a usb pci card to solve that hopefully.

I have assetto corsa i wasn't aware it was vr.
How would i load it up to play?
BuyBuyBuy O Why
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
blazed16 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 3:20 pm
I have vr set up to a 6700k, 1060 6gb and 32gb 3000 ram.
I dont know what the frame rates were ill check tonight. But i had no blurring or hickups that some reported.
Only issues i be having is usb ports the sensors tell me poor tracking or drivers didnt load and its not a cheap motherboard but im buying a usb pci card to solve that hopefully.

Yes, a PCI-e add-on card is pretty much essential in order to get the Sensors working perfectly with the Rift.
Any of the Inateck cards which Amazon sells for around $40 will work fine.

I have assetto corsa i wasn't aware it was vr.
How would i load it up to play?
Yeah, your specs should run pCARS acceptably.
Mine is similar, I've made the jump from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1080, and even with that I need to keep the details to a minimum....but the upside is that it's now a lot smoother & more fluid.
Supposedly pCARS 2 hwill be far more optimized, and early reviews seem to back that claim up.
I'm gonna pre-order it on Steam before Sept 22 to take advantage of the small price reduction & bonus items.

For Assetto Corsa, just follow this guide, and remember that it's only the actual races which you will see in VR, all menus and setting up your game will have to be done on your monitor first....then click "Start Race" and you're off!!!

https://www.riftracer.co.uk/guides/asse ... ift-setup/