Hot Deals

HTC Vive Price Cut, Now $799 CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 2:51 am
Jul 17, 2017
9 posts
I'm running an i5 6600K and GTX 1070 (no overclocking on either) and haven't had any issues with pCARS, but I also don't have anything to compare it to. I haven't tried AC yet, but will try it over the weekend and compare.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1510 posts
157 upvotes
So i got lucky and found a Vive on amazon warehouse deals for 520$. Good deal?

Is there anything extra i need to get for this other than the included accessories?
Resident Tranceaddict
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
thendless wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:20 am
So i got lucky and found a Vive on amazon warehouse deals for 520$. Good deal?

Is there anything extra i need to get for this other than the included accessories?
Good deal!

Likewise, I grabbed an open-box one a couple of weeks ago for $509, received it last week.

Everything is included in the box (or should be, if the previous owner packed it properly and returned everything).

The only concern would be how you plan to mount the lighthouses, as they need to be spaced diagonally, mounted higher than head-height and angled at roughly 45 degrees to the floor.
These must be mounted above head height and angled slightly downwards towards the floor, as having them any lower will cause tracking issues with your body blocking the sensors.

If you don't wish to use the included wall mounts, then a pair of tripods with angle mounts may be your best bet.
https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-centimeter ... ive+stands

Might as well grab the 3-pack though, since they're the same price ($59).
https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-centimeter ... ive+stands
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1510 posts
157 upvotes
Awesome thanks for the info!
Resident Tranceaddict
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1510 posts
157 upvotes
Guess you disabled PM but just had a question about the warehouse deal description:
Downloadable content (DLC) or codes for online play may require additional purchase. Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Medium mark on disk.

Any cause for concern?
Resident Tranceaddict
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
thendless wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:34 pm
Guess you disabled PM but just had a question about the warehouse deal description:
Downloadable content (DLC) or codes for online play may require additional purchase. Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Medium mark on disk.

Any cause for concern?
Nah, you should be fine.

50/50 chance that the Vive free games codes have been redeemed by the previous owner.

Aside from Tilt Brush, the games are crap anyways, so no real loss.
https://store.vive.com/code/us/code-instruction

If the Vive arrives in unsatisfactory condition, Amazon will most likely offer you a free return/refund, or to keep it and knock a few bucks off.

Mine arrived with some nasty earwax in the included earbuds, and they refunded me $50 back to my CC, so I've decided to keep it.

I'd either use a pair of my own headphones anyways (I hate earbuds), but I'll use that $50 towards picking up the Deluxe Audio Strap soon.

Just wipe the unit down with a damp cloth, clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth, and remove the face-foam and hand wash it with a bit of soapy water, rinse and let it air dry....that should eliminate any Cooties concerns.

I've switched over to these facial foams, and absolutely love them!
Very easy to swap out and great for when you want to share the Vive with guests, or do higher cardio-type stuff where sweat can be an issue with the original sponge-like foam.
3-pack for $30.
https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Headset-C ... =vive+foam
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1510 posts
157 upvotes
Woah! wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:40 pm
Nah, you should be fine.

50/50 chance that the Vive free games codes have been redeemed by the previous owner.

Aside from Tilt Brush, the games are crap anyways, so no real loss.
https://store.vive.com/code/us/code-instruction

If the Vive arrives in unsatisfactory condition, Amazon will most likely offer you a free return/refund, or to keep it and knock a few bucks off.

Mine arrived with some nasty earwax in the included earbuds, and they refunded me $50 back to my CC, so I've decided to keep it.

I'd either use a pair of my own headphones anyways (I hate earbuds), but I'll use that $50 towards picking up the Deluxe Audio Strap soon.

Just wipe the unit down with a damp cloth, clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth, and remove the face-foam and hand wash it with a bit of soapy water, rinse and let it air dry....that should eliminate any Cooties concerns.

I've switched over to these facial foams, and absolutely love them!
Very easy to swap out and great for when you want to share the Vive with guests, or do higher cardio-type stuff where sweat can be an issue with the original sponge-like foam.
3-pack for $30.
https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Headset-C ... =vive+foam
Sweet thanks for the tips. Ya i ordered it without hesitation cause I have prime and returns are a breeze with Amazon, can't wait
Resident Tranceaddict
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
thendless wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:07 pm
Sweet thanks for the tips. Ya i ordered it without hesitation cause I have prime and returns are a breeze with Amazon, can't wait
I recall seeing that Vive listing a few days ago, it was there, then disappeared, then came back.

Makes meI wonder if someone bot it, then cancelled it a few hours later?

Either way, it'll be yours soon enough.

Enjoy your new toy, it's a blast!

There's a ton of free content on Steam, so I'd suggest you start loading stuff up now so that it's ready to play once you've set up the Vive.

Here's the stuffs, organized from free to the highest price:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... upport=402

Watch for the Monday weekly sales (10am PST/1pm EST), and especially the Seasonal Sales.

The Lab, Portal Stories (free if you own Portal 2). War Thunder, Accounting, Google Earth, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Project CARS:Pagani Edition, the Redout demo etc., are all free and great places to start.
Jul 19, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Really tempted to buy this. Does the warehouse kind of deal come up on a regular basis?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
8305 posts
2646 upvotes
Yes picked one up also warehouse deals for 529$ but arrived with scratches/dirt so i did a exchanged and they ended up sending me a new one.Well codes not redeemed looked like it never came out of box and not a single mark along with plastic still on it.
ING Direct since the beginning!
BuyBuyBuy O Why
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2002
1510 posts
157 upvotes
abubakr wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 3:11 pm
Really tempted to buy this. Does the warehouse kind of deal come up on a regular basis?
Its random, i just stumbled upon it by accident
Resident Tranceaddict
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5118 posts
1797 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
abubakr wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 3:11 pm
I've seen about half a dozen or more show up during the month of August.

On Wed I saw two listings @ $559, both sold within an hour.

I have a feeling that there have been an abnormal amount of open-box Vives available due to people doing returns/exchanges during their one month return period window after they saw that HTC did a recent price drop.

Since Amazon doesn't officially offer price protection, people most likely simply returned theirs and re-purchased at the lower price.

Prior to that, there were usually one or two per month.

Is $799 a permanent price drop, or just a sale similar to what Oculus did?