• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 6:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
392 posts
52 upvotes

Huawei Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro

I've seen some reviews stating that this is a solid phone, but was wondering what others thought about it.
38 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17134 posts
1456 upvotes
Woodbridge
Like the P20 Pro I love what Huawei is doing but again asking too much.

I finally got the P20 Pro just a few weeks ago because the Twilight is finally available and because of price drop and Rogers offer.

The Mate is pretty much like the Note so it will always be better and an improvement, just like the S series in this case P20 Pro.

I doubt I will pick it up anytime soon. I'd rather get the OnePlus 6t, it's cheaper.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1965 posts
202 upvotes
York
It’s a very nice phone stacked with all the features. Only downfall against the Note is lack of a stylus. But Canadian pricing hasn’t been released yet, I know it will be very expensive.

I got the P20 Pro on a steep discount last month so I doubt I will make the move to the Mate. But I’m very tempted by it especially if they throw in the Watch GT and wireless charger with it here.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
392 posts
52 upvotes
Yea from the reports ive read, it either beats or is the same as the Note, minus the pen. That’s a pretty solid comp.

Do you really think they would offer the new watxh with it here?

Do you think it’ll be as expensive as the newest iPhones?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4170 posts
717 upvotes
Kingston
I think it will be the same price as the iPhone, maybe slightly lower. It's going to be an expensive phone but it out performs every phone available right now in every category.

I really want one. Can't decide between mate 20 pro, or mate 20x. Would have to see the x in person tho. Thinking 7.2" might be way too big
Oct 23, 2017
78 posts
25 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:18 am
I think it will be the same price as the iPhone, maybe slightly lower. It's going to be an expensive phone but it out performs every phone available right now in every category.

I really want one. Can't decide between mate 20 pro, or mate 20x. Would have to see the x in person tho. Thinking 7.2" might be way too big
I would go for the mate 20 x myself. The pro has more features but how often would you even use the reverse charging?
The curved glass screen is a deal killer for me, and the big ugly notch up top. Why do we need all those facial recognition sensors if we have a fingerprint scanner underneath the screen?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17134 posts
1456 upvotes
Woodbridge
Now that I have the iPhone XS (Gold 64GB) and finally experience FaceID I can admit I was too critical.

FPS seems like a PITA now more especially if your hands are wet or mounted in your car. Face unlock as reported is no where near FaceID in fact it was reported competition is years behind.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4170 posts
717 upvotes
Kingston
Hard to say if these are going to be Canadian prices. But I found this site preordering the phone. (starts at $1,299.00 CAD)
Doesnt apply to people getting it with contract through carrier tho. Other countries also had bonuses (wireless charge pad / watch) so it would be nice if we got that promo here too. I think preorder day is supposed to be oct 25th here.
Nov 7, 2013
469 posts
115 upvotes
the 604
Mate 20 Pro is sexy AF, and Huawei is basically out-Samsung-ing Samsung with this bad boy

- that camera setup tho!!
- Amoled
- in-screen biometrics probably won't be perfected for another generation or two, but still
- guaranteed no lags for 18 months — HUGE, if they can pull it off
- textured glass back = genius
- 3D Face Unlock promises to be >>> Sammy's Iris + Facial recognition

everything else is meh for me:
- wireless charging other devices? whatever. i'll probably never use it.
- EMUI, not a big fan
- no analogue audio jack, HATE THIS

it's going to be stupidly priced at launch though. phones that cost over $1000: how did we get to this point?!? lol
Nov 1, 2004
594 posts
1 upvote
Niagara Region
I ordred a mate 20 pro Twilight from the UK because I'm impatient, I'll give some impressions once I get it which I hope is next week.

Really looking forward to trying it out, previously had a iPhone X and Note 9, and currently have a iPhone 8 as I sold the X while it was still hot.

I'm hoping the Mate 20 Pro will give me the iPhone X experience but with Android customizability
Heatware Sphinx
Mar 11, 2012
12 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
Where did you order it from? I'm also interested in getting it.
Nov 1, 2004
594 posts
1 upvote
Niagara Region
Just means that you can't ship normally like they do in the UK, they charge import fees etc on checkout.
Heatware Sphinx