Art and Photography

Locked: The Huawei Mate 20 Pro Takes Better Pictures Than a DSLR, Prove Me Wrong

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 7:58 pm
Nov 4, 2016
726 posts
418 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 1:51 pm
If you are pointing at the compression of the foreground and background with increasing focal lengths and still having bokeh, then get a smartphone wide angle and zoom lens off Amazon that straps onto the back of the Pixel 2 or 3. The Pixels do everything through a single camera and this easily would let them take those shots with differing focal lengths and bokeh.
Then take that shot with your cellphone. Duplicate that 200mm shot. Don't just keep claiming that it can. Show us.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1909 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 3:06 am
Then take that shot with your cellphone. Duplicate that 200mm shot. Don't just keep claiming that it can. Show us.
Oh, you mean like with the wide angle and telephoto lens from Moment for the Pixel? It has already been done for less than $90. Bokeh in whatever focal length you want. Bet you can't even do that with a $5000 Sony A7r iii. DSLR/mirrorless has even lost the advantage of interchange lenses to the more nimble makers of smartphone lenses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google ... phone/amp/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1909 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
And see here for examples using the Moment lens on smartphones. It produces "real" optical bokeh on smartphones in a package that easily slides into your pocket and for a tiny fraction of a DSLR/mirrorless setup. How can DSLR/mirrorless possibly compete with smartphones when they have the same choice in lenses and optical effects? And this is not the only lens system I the market, there is a whole ton of them. Does anyone want to buy my Canon?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadg ... portraits/
Nov 4, 2016
726 posts
418 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 6:57 pm
Oh, you mean like with the wide angle and telephoto lens from Moment for the Pixel? It has already been done for less than $90. Bokeh in whatever focal length you want. Bet you can't even do that with a $5000 Sony A7r iii. DSLR/mirrorless has even lost the advantage of interchange lenses to the more nimble makers of smartphone lenses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google ... phone/amp/
That's only 58mm. How will it complete against 200mm or even 300mm lens? Maybe 58mm sounds crazy in your cellphone world. But 58mm is nothing in the camera world.

So you plan to pay an extra $130 on top of the cost of the cellphone ,for a telephoto lens just for the phone? These lens might or might not work with your next cellphone (probably not). And since this only work with Galaxy, iPhone and Pixel, you effectively limit your cellphone choices to just 3.

What then when you switch you phone is 2 years (like most people do)? You are going to fork out another $130 for another lens for your next cellphone?

And at the end of the day, the sensor is still small. 58mm lens on a small sensor will still produce disappointing pictures for professionals, in any dark area.
Last edited by CCHIPSS on Dec 27th, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1909 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:57 pm
That's only 58mm. How will it complete against 200mm or even 1000mm lens? Maybe 58mm sounds crazy in your cellphone world. But 58mm is nothing in the camera world.

So you plan to pay an extra $130 on top of the cost of the cellphone ,for a telephoto lens just for the phone? These lens might or might not work with your next cellphone (probably not). And since this only work with Galaxy, iPhone and Pixel, you effectively limit your cellphone choices to just 3.

What then when you switch you phone is 2 years (like most people do)? You are going to fork out another $130 for another lens for your next cellphone?

And at the end of the day, the sensor is still small. 58mm lens on a small sensor will still produce disappointing pictures for professionals, in any dark area.
It's 58mm focal length for that lens, not every lens is 58 mm. Just like not every Canon is a 50 mm prime. Other manufacturers make tons of zoom lenses in differing sizes and zooms. And remember, you need to apply a crop factor for the smaller sensor size of smartphones to the lens focal length to get the equivalent just like we have to do for Apsc sensors. A 58 mm lens focal length is somewhere around 200 mm or more converted. Any other objections you need me to refute?

And no, the images are not dark or noisy. They are perfect, just look at all the images. Get it through your head the small cameras are just as good as big cameras.
Nov 4, 2016
726 posts
418 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:03 pm
It's 58mm focal length for that lens, not every lens is 58 mm. Just like not every Canon is a 50 mm prime. Other manufacturers make tons of zoom lenses in differing sizes and zooms. And remember, you need to apply a crop factor for the smaller sensor size of smartphones to the lens focal length to get the equivalent just like we have to do for Apsc sensors. A 58 mm lens focal length is somewhere around 200 mm or more converted. Any other objections you need me to refute?

And no, the images are not dark or noisy. They are perfect, just look at all the images. Get it through your head the small cameras are just as good as big cameras.
LOL! You don't seem to understand what chopped sensor mean. It is NOT some magic formula to suddenly transform your 58mm lens into 200mm. If that is the case, then the smaller the sensor the better the camera. Sorry but this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. I literally busted out laughing.

Ok guys, let's all make our cellphone sensors even smaller so everyone has 4000mm zoom on their cellphone. Face With Tears Of Joy :facepalm:

Chop sensor means the sides literally got chopped off (in a way, without getting into all the details). So let's say you take a picture and then you grab a scissor and cut off 3/4th of the outside. So your picture is much smaller but "appeared" more zoomed in. That is the 58mm becomes 200mm thing that you are talking about. Then you blow up that small tiny picture back into full frame. What you get is a blurry mess with all the details missing.

How do you know the pictures are not noisy? Have you used that cellphone yourself? You are going by the examples from these websites, which are obviously paid by them to advertise positively. And you have no idea if they use things like artificial lightning or even Photoshop.

Now if you own one such cellphone and lens, and post your own pictures here, I would respect you more. But you are going off nothing, no personal experience, but just repeating the agendas of these websites. While the rest of us are going off our personal experiences.

But OK let's go to magic land and say your 58mm is just as good as the DSLR 200mm (it isn't). Still, you are spending another $130 for each lens at each length. You spent $130 there and then $130 here. Suddenly you spent like a thousand on so-called camera lens for your cellphone.

Then in 2 years you want to change your cellphone. So you need to buy all those lens again. How are you saving any money in the long term?

With DSLRs, you just need to upgrade your body. All your lens stays with you (for the most part). And even for the body, people can easily use the same body for a decade. My body is from 2012 and it is working just fine for me.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1044 posts
341 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:03 pm

For someone who likes smartphone so much, maybe use it to google and use the calculator? 58mm is already the equivalence. If not, on a sensor as small as iPhone X, the crop factor is above 6 times. Which means if 58mm is not equivalent to FF yet, it'll be at least 348mm. That's not a useful focal length for the general crowd.
Aug 15, 2018
37 posts
22 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 9:13 pm
For someone who likes smartphone so much, maybe use it to google and use the calculator? 58mm is already the equivalence. If not, on a sensor as small as iPhone X, the crop factor is above 6 times. Which means if 58mm is not equivalent to FF yet, it'll be at least 348mm. That's not a useful focal length for the general crowd.
Sorry but I laughed so hard at this. I can imagine Joe walking around with a 300mm as a go-to lensGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I mean there were several articles/reviews done by professionals and everyone agrees that the P20 is a huge step forward in the smartphone camera world and it's absolutely impressive. I was honestly surprised when I checked a few pics on Flickr.

But (most) people also agree that it's definitely not going to replace a full frame DSLR anytime soon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1909 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
300mm does give you really good bokeh....

Ok, I wrong about the 55mm being the non - converted focal length of that Moment lens. Looks like it ends up just looking like a portrait lens length, not a telephoto length. But my point still stands, there are tons of wide angle and telephoto zoom lenses available for smartphones and it nullifies the interchange lens advantages of DSLR/mirrorless.

And for Chipp that complains about smartphone lenses being easy too expensive at $90-$120, what are you smoking bro? Have you ever looked at how much a DSLR/mirrorless lens costs? Smartphone lens prices are pennies compared to what you have to spend on DSLR/mirrorless lenses.
Nov 15, 2017
529 posts
347 upvotes
Off-topic: I can't justify owning a Huawei phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1909 posts
842 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
mattnew wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 11:46 am
Sorry but I laughed so hard at this. I can imagine Joe walking around with a 300mm as a go-to lensGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I mean there were several articles/reviews done by professionals and everyone agrees that the P20 is a huge step forward in the smartphone camera world and it's absolutely impressive. I was honestly surprised when I checked a few pics on Flickr.

But (most) people also agree that it's definitely not going to replace a full frame DSLR anytime soon.
Who is this "most" people you are taking about? Most people I see don't even want a DSLR any more.
Aug 15, 2018
37 posts
22 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 12:03 pm
Who is this "most" people you are taking about? Most people I see don't even want a DSLR any more.
Online reviews done by professionals, do a quick search. They all agree the P20 has an awesome camera, for a smartphone.

My friend you're mistaking what people want for what people need. I don't want to carry a dslr and 2.5 kgs of lenses when I travel. But if I want to achieve the best quality, that's what I need.

I understand there is a trend in being "against" what most people think. No offense but I'll take opinions of pro photographers over someone who doesn't understand focal lengths well anytime.
Aug 1, 2010
954 posts
536 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Most people I see don't even want a DSLR any more.
Most people don't need one. Does not change the fact the DSLR is superior.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3996 posts
1295 upvotes
Calgary
JoeStale wrote:
Huawei should have used the Huawei Mate 20 Pro to do this video, too bad this clumsy photographer did not know that phones, especially the Mate 20 Pro are superior to dSLR, and should have consulted JoeStale

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/20/huawei ... slr-again/
Nov 4, 2016
726 posts
418 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 12:00 pm
300mm does give you really good bokeh....

Ok, I wrong about the 55mm being the non - converted focal length of that Moment lens. Looks like it ends up just looking like a portrait lens length, not a telephoto length. But my point still stands, there are tons of wide angle and telephoto zoom lenses available for smartphones and it nullifies the interchange lens advantages of DSLR/mirrorless.

And for Chipp that complains about smartphone lenses being easy too expensive at $90-$120, what are you smoking bro? Have you ever looked at how much a DSLR/mirrorless lens costs? Smartphone lens prices are pennies compared to what you have to spend on DSLR/mirrorless lenses.
$130 for each lens that you can only use for 2-3 years, and become obsolete as soon as when you change to your next cellphone? Oh yes that's expensive.

Not all DSLR lens are expensive. Nifty Fitty for example is worth $30-$100. Much better investment than cellphone lens.

Old lens can still maintain maybe 50% of their value. Your cellphone lens wouldn't because there wouldn't be enough 2nd hand market demand.

Understand: The cost to you is actually Purchase price minus Resale price.

Anyways it is time for you to focus on becoming a better photographer instead of arguing which gear is better. This topic has been beaten to death. Believe whatever you like.