Art and Photography

Locked: The Huawei Mate 20 Pro Takes Better Pictures Than a DSLR, Prove Me Wrong

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 7:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3728 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
oh my god this thread is still alive? give it up OP. you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into a bullshit hole.

have you actually used a moment lens? probably not. i have. i also have olloclip lenses.
along with olloclip, moment are pretty much the ONLY decent set of lens attachments for mobile phones out there. even then, you are super limited to what they can do. going on about how "there are a ton" of different lens options for smartphones is wrong. this means you're trying to include all the myriads of cheap ass garbage phone attachment lenses out there, furthering the idea that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Dec 30, 2006
78 posts
89 upvotes
I don't think a smartphone would be able to get a similar shot. Attempting to do so may be hazardous to your health. Taken handheld at ISO 10,000 due to being overcast and foggy in the Great Bear Rain forest, Northern BC.

ImageDSC_9498 by Willy Chan, on Flickr
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1882 posts
827 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
bigwilly03 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 4:04 pm
I don't think a smartphone would be able to get a similar shot. Attempting to do so may be hazardous to your health. Taken handheld at ISO 10,000 due to being overcast and foggy in the Great Bear Rain forest, Northern BC.
For the price of that 600mm lens alone that you used, I could have bought an army of flying drones to take the same picture from multiple angles and got photos that are actually decently exposed and without the heavy vingetting in your photo. And I would also not need to carry 25+ pounds of camera gear on me because of that 600mm lens. That has got to be tiring carrying so much weight. And you are at a major disadvantage if you have to move fast. You are a sitting duck compared to someone using drones or smartphones.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1486 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:53 pm
For the price of that 600mm lens alone that you used, I could have bought an army of flying drones to take the same picture from multiple angles and got photos that are actually decently exposed and without the heavy vingetting in your photo. And I would also not need to carry 25+ pounds of camera gear on me because of that 600mm lens. That has got to be tiring carrying so much weight. And you are at a major disadvantage if you have to move fast. You are a sitting duck compared to someone using drones or smartphones.
You sound like that guy arguing that you don't need a truck to haul a 25,000 lb trailer. Meanwhile, your four-banger is smoking and puttering along but it is okay, it is supposed to make that noise.

Your arguments...my man, this thread should be enough to fill you in. Having been to weddings shot on camera phones and by professionals using DSLR's, I'll trust the DSLR any day.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11144 posts
5299 upvotes
Southern Ontario
C'mon, it’s not like you can fly drones near wildlife without disturbing them vs being whisper quiet at a distance, especially all those bird shots, well done Willy.

Or go ahead, fly an army of drones and get all different closeup angles of flying planes too while you're at it lol

Also, photography done with large sensor conventional gear sells paying for it several times over. I don’t make any image money with a phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1882 posts
827 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 8:37 pm
Also, photography done with large sensor conventional gear sells paying for it several times over. I don’t make any image money with a phone.
Go on about the money part. Is it actually possible to earn decent photography money as a hobby with so many people having smartphone cameras?
Dec 9, 2014
112 posts
49 upvotes
GTA
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 4:33 pm
That's easy, just add more megapixels to the cameras like the new 48 megapixel Huawei Nova 4:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... -announced

For US$490, the Huawei Nova 4 gives you 128 GB, a responsive high quality touch screen, and a premium metal and glass build in addition to the cameras. Why can't Canon or Sony give you anything comparable? You don't even get any storage in a $5000 DSLR and here are smartphones costing a fraction of that having 128 GB SSDs built in.

And who even prints photos any more nowadays? Not only do photos look better on a screen, printing photos is environmentally unfriendly.
He's clearly a troll. Not sure why ppl are taking him seriously.
Aug 15, 2018
36 posts
22 upvotes
fahc-i-will-argue-with-anyone-about-anything-no-you-12252187.png
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11144 posts
5299 upvotes
Southern Ontario
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 8:57 pm
Go on about the money part. Is it actually possible to earn decent photography money as a hobby with so many people having smartphone cameras?
Yes, if you love your hobby and take it to the level of a professional, it far surpasses what an everyday Joe can do with a smartphone. It does not need to be a large scale business. People have home studios, do weddings, portraits, newborn photography etc, and it's not their primary job. They become great at Photoshop, make large prints and canvases, know how to flatter people with posing, invoke natural expressions, there's just so much more to photography than big sensor ILC vs phone advances. And these people are not selling images from their phones. There's so many genres out there where many started out as a hobby.
Aug 1, 2010
950 posts
526 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 8:57 pm
Yup
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1882 posts
827 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 11:25 pm
Yes, if you love your hobby and take it to the level of a professional, it far surpasses what an everyday Joe can do with a smartphone. It does not need to be a large scale business. People have home studios, do weddings, portraits, newborn photography etc, and it's not their primary job. They become great at Photoshop, make large prints and canvases, know how to flatter people with posing, invoke natural expressions, there's just so much more to photography than big sensor ILC vs phone advances. And these people are not selling images from their phones. There's so many genres out there where many started out as a hobby.
So you recommend trying to sell photos on Shutterstock or 500px?
Nov 4, 2016
724 posts
416 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:53 pm
Your drone flies for only 15 minutes. Even if you are allowed to fly it right into the bear's face without disturbing it, and there is no wind that would cause camera shake, or tree branches that your drone might hit, 15 minutes is often not enough time to capture the shot you want.

And like another poster said, how are you going to fly your drone right up to a flying plane's face to capture it close up?
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11144 posts
5299 upvotes
Southern Ontario
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:03 am
So you recommend trying to sell photos on Shutterstock or 500px?
That’s up to you. Photogs not only generate income by selling images, they sell services, products, and teach.

You ask who uses dedicated cameras anymore? Millions of artists do. Go to fstoppers and scroll down to the featured images. You’d be hard pressed to sell them the P20 to replace the camera in their workflow, and likely blasted for your ignorance of all the advanced techniques they apply beyond gear.

Mobile phones are great for disposable mobile photography, that’s the context you win.
Jan 4, 2017
315 posts
154 upvotes
Being a hobbyist that uses DSLRs, I'll definitely agree that smartphones:

- have come a long, long way in quality and performance for taking photos
- have rendered cheap point & shoot cameras pretty much irrelevant
- have far out-paced even professional DSLRs for certain features and some in-camera processing techniques
- win on the convenience factor

But I still hope this is a troll thread, lol. Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of photography understands that smartphones and DSLRs are both awesome, and both have their own time and place for different purposes. Some photographers actually make extensive use of both, they really don't even compete with each other. It makes for good headlines and clickbait, but beyond that there's no sense in comparing them. Different sensor sizes come with different advantages/disadvantages. There's no perfect camera, no one-size fits all, and no right or wrong camera! There are just different tools for different use cases. You can shoot an entire movie with smartphones if you want (and it has been done), but that doesn't negate the usefulness or benefits of proper cinematography equipment whatsoever.

Good topic to get people riled up and arguing but otherwise pretty pointless. The thing to do is to figure out what equipment best suits your needs, and get that. If a smartphone fully satisfies your needs, more power to you!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 3:25 am
Your drone flies for only 15 minutes. Even if you are allowed to fly it right into the bear's face without disturbing it, and there is no wind that would cause camera shake, or tree branches that your drone might hit, 15 minutes is often not enough time to capture the shot you want.

And like another poster said, how are you going to fly your drone right up to a flying plane's face to capture it close up?
mid-range quadcopters have had 30 min flight times for few years now
Gatwick (kidding, please don't replicate this)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.