• Mar 25th, 2015 12:54 pm
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
yes backup in TWRP.
and it backs up to where you specify.
it is best to keep a copy on your external sd card and a copy on your pc or on cloud.
also the proper procedure to flash a rom clean, is to wipe in TWRP first then flash your rom... then wipe dalvik ... then reboot.
aasoror wrote: I can do update the OP but RFD will then charge you for advertisement :twisted:
With that said, what difference does it make to have all the other codes when you just need the nck code to get the foreign SIM working on the phone (assuming you can do it from first attempt and wont hard lock the phone).
jeax wrote: Thanks, infamouskid. The unlock code works great! Now both phones can use 7-11 speakout program now.

Since I don't make a lot of calls, that is the reason I like the prepaid phone. Question: will the apps in Huawei phone eat my 7-11 prepaid minutes? If the answer is YES, what is my options? Should I just set "WIFI only" in the phone system setting area, and switch back to phone network when I need to make a phone call. But I won't be able to know there is a incoming call while using the "WIFI only" mode, right? I hope someone can shed a light on it.
Nettles wrote: I've installed TWRP and installed Superuser as well. Now I'm wondering how I make a backup....do I just boot into TWRP again and create the backup from there? Where will it store the file and do I just need to copy/paste this to my PC?

Also befor I flash a rom, should/when should the data or cache or dalvik cache be cleared? Before or after installing the rom or is it unnecessary?

And finally, I'm gonna go with FusionX or AOKP as you guys recommended but what are the main differences between them? Any features which don't work and any difference in terms of battery life?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
use the dcunlocker method to read the bootloader code. the info is posted in the OP.
OllBY wrote: Ha! I keep sending them requests five times a day for the last five days. And they keep telling me the IMEI and SN are wrong :D . I guess it is automatic replay system. I unlocked bootloader in the very first day but I am just curious if they send me code.
Jul 31, 2004
173 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
I am waiting for my unlock code and meanwhile I played the phone a little bit.

For people want language other than English and French, you can install Locale Setting:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .setlocale
I use it to change the phone interface (Nova Launcher) to Chinese and it works.
[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img41/4541/7y93.png[/IMG]

For Chinese input I installed Sougou搜狗:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... thod.sogou
and I set it as the system default keyboard.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
infamouskid wrote: the difference is you have all level unlock codes.
I know, that was the actual question "what difference does having all codes make" :)
if your phone has more then 1 lock and this common on bell and telus devices.
But one can assume its per-phone thing and not just random (I mean if one Y300 has a single lock on Bell then all those Y300s that come from Bell would have just that one lock, right ?)
you will need the NCK and SP codes. on top of that as some members are experiencing already if you have a custom rom and you try to unlock this could bring up the SPCK request screen.
on top of that if for some reason your phone relocks and this has occurred with some rogers sim cards after reboot and accepting the code already. too many code inputs or too many code input failed attempts will trigger the SIM BLOCKED/RESET LOCK/DEFREEZE security of the phone and thus locking it down completely. the only way to get out of this mode is to enter the 4th code i provide.

i had quite a few rfd members pm me asking for reset keys only because the NCK only service they got off ebay were giving incorrect codes and they tried to enter this wrong code too many times locking the device and sim blocking it.
That makes perfect sense thanks for the reply.
sure you can compare the prices but you definitely cannot compare the product. they are not the same.
This is RFD man, most here are not into comparing but rather cheap and goal oriented :p
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
Thanks to this thread, I was able to get fusionX running after the unlock code from infamouskid.

Anyways, it doesn't look like the fastest ROM and Cyanogen Mod is probably faster but I think I'm gonna stick to fusionx because it's so clean and seems stable which is nice. Think I'd like to replace the default dialer on the phone as well if I can find a low memory usage one.

One thing that's annoying me though is that there's only 1 GB of free memory on the phone. I know I can install everything on an SD card but still a bit weird to me....where is the other memory? Is it being used up on recovery partitions like in some PCs and is there any way to free some more up?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
LEXX911 wrote: Here are more custom ROMs for the Y300.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/365268-all- ... -y300g510/

Anyone who wants their phone to be iOS like should try MIUI V5 custom ROM.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/365182-rom- ... ilanguage/
http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=677951
added to OP
Dec 25, 2010
40 posts
15 upvotes
London,ON-BayArea,CA…
[QUOTE]

-now hold down the - volume(minus volume) and power buttons for 10 secs until you see that the Huawei Ascend Logo is stuck that's mean your'e in fastboot mode(if it reboot back into your phone. turn it off and try again and make sure you hold down the right buttons)
-now reconnect the USB to the phone
-now open up Command Prompt and run as an ADMIN

-type >G: (or wherever you unzip your Huawei Y300 folder to)
-type >cd G:\HUAWEI Y300\FASTBOOT enter
-now you're in the G:\HUAWEI Y300\FASTBOOT folder
-type >fastboot devices enter
-you will see your device is now detected to something like this:
G:\>HUAWEI Y300\FASTBOOT \fastboot devices

[/QUOTE]

Thanks the infamouskid for the SIM unlock code. That went without a hitch.

I also managed to get halfway through the above but encountered a problem.

I have the 16-digit code (from DC Unlocker) to unlock the bootloader but my laptop doesn't see the phone when it's frozen in fastboot mode.
Command prompt screen shows the following.......

This program will show you the state of your bootloader and
whether it is locked.
The bootloader can have two states:

locked state --- LOCKED
unlocked state --- UNLOCKED

=================================================================

Found the following devices:

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

=================================================================

If your device is shown above, press a key to get the bootloader
status now

I also noticed that if when the phone is turned off and attached to PC via usb, I get 3 extra drives showing. Is that normal?

Thanks!!!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
^ I had that same message, it's fine, just press the button and proceed. If you installed the drivers properly then just press a key and proceed as normal.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Bootloader unlock (for rooting and custom firmware flashing)
Direct from huawei: http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/s ... pplyUnlock
This method DOES NOT WORK. I've tried 5 different devices and each of them comes back with an error.
You have to email Huawei directly at mobile(shift-2)huawei.com with the same info. They'll email you back with the code.
They're pretty fast at it too.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
Any way to change the type/intensity of haptic feedback on fusionx?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22157 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
Nettles wrote: Thanks to this thread, I was able to get fusionX running after the unlock code from infamouskid.

Anyways, it doesn't look like the fastest ROM and Cyanogen Mod is probably faster but I think I'm gonna stick to fusionx because it's so clean and seems stable which is nice. Think I'd like to replace the default dialer on the phone as well if I can find a low memory usage one.

One thing that's annoying me though is that there's only 1 GB of free memory on the phone. I know I can install everything on an SD card but still a bit weird to me....where is the other memory? Is it being used up on recovery partitions like in some PCs and is there any way to free some more up?
Try installing CeXstel's latesr kernel, install PurePerformance, and turn off animations. These 3 things will improve battery life and speed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to say I unlocked both of my Y300s earlier today using SIM unlock codes bought from infamouskid, everything went perfect. Entered the first time on each phone and worked, so highly recommended. Can confirm Y300s work on rogers / chatr without any issues as far as I can tell.

Any recommendations on cases? Not sure if one is really needed, I see a soft plastic one being sold all over ebay for under $2. Is it any good?

Also what about a clear screen protector? Does anyone use one, or do they hurt performance of the touch screen?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
What's a recommended ROM? The stock seems slow and laggy compared to what I'm usually with, AOKP. But not sure which ROM to choose. Stable with battery life is important, since it's for my mom.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
Sepharite wrote: What's a recommended ROM? The stock seems slow and laggy compared to what I'm usually with, AOKP. But not sure which ROM to choose. Stable with battery life is important, since it's for my mom.
Since it's for your mother, just leave it stock. SHE can't tell if it's slow and laggy.
Oct 2, 2009
162 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
After removed useless apps (Huawei & Bell), changed to Nova launcher, it's fast enough for me ;)

Just wondering if anyone has a fix/workaround for the caller display problem (ie, no caller info is display). Does a customer ROM fix it? Or it's a phone/carrier problem?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
zentro wrote: Can confirm Y300s work on rogers / chatr without any issues as far as I can tell.
It's not NO call display, it is erratic call display. I put one on Rogers and the phone misses a lot of call display messages. All too often the call is from 'unknown' when I know that if the SIM is in any of my other phones it shows the data with each and every call.

Anyone know of a work-around or settings change that will improve the rate of display success?
Feb 1, 2009
12 posts
Saskatoon
I installed AOKP and I'm having some GPS issues. "Access to my location" and "GPS satellites" are enabled under Location access settings, but my apps are insisting that GPS is disabled and keep telling me to turn it on. When I try navigation in Google Maps it gives me a "No GPS hardware" error.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is this a bug? I didn't use the stock ROM long enough to see if GPS worked on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Sepharite wrote: What's a recommended ROM? The stock seems slow and laggy compared to what I'm usually with, AOKP. But not sure which ROM to choose. Stable with battery life is important, since it's for my mom.
Stock isn't bad once you use a decent launcher. Stock launcher is BAD.
But if you really want a custom rom, FusionX is about as AOSP as you can get without being AOSP.
I'm tempted to try compiling AOSP but I'm not sure if the the other Y300 kernels work for the Y300-0150.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
fredsmith wrote: It's not NO call display, it is erratic call display.
It always shows the number for me, but yeah I don't see the caller info unless I attach a name to the number. Is that what you mean? Or are you getting no number as well? I haven't seen any unknown numbers yet after maybe 5-6 different calls earlier.
Jul 31, 2004
173 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: This method DOES NOT WORK. I've tried 5 different devices and each of them comes back with an error.
You have to email Huawei directly at mobile(shift-2)huawei.com with the same info. They'll email you back with the code.
They're pretty fast at it too.
The email works! I got the code in ONE hour!