• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2010 4:14 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York

Hubcentric VS Multi Fit Steel Rims

I'm wondering if the hubcentric is generally recommended over steel rims?

Does installing tire on multi fit is harder and require more precision / skill as opposed to installing it on a hubcentric rim?

Thanks,
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
For my own car I would do hubcentric or nothing.

I don't want any kinds of rings or spacers or that sort of stuff on my wheels when the car was not designed for it. The SimplyTire guy (Allen) told me personally when I was at his shop that he hates doing non-hubcentric because of the problems that it can lead to.

The only time I would do non-hubcentric is when the OEM rims are of the same fitment.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
If you think only hubcentric steel rims are good enough then you have some perfectionistic tendencies.

For non-hubcentric wheels all you need is tapered nuts or bolts and tighten in a star pattern gradually. The star pattern and gradual tightening you should do even with hubcentric wheels. Gradual tightening will center the wheel for you. Advantage of non-hubcentric wheels is they will not seize onto your hub which if you are running steels in winter without wheel covers (even with) it can be a major issue. Anti-seize would just wash off. So anyhow that's my 2 cents.

Otherwise in general if the steel wheels are not badly manufactured you wouldn't know the differences. People telling you otherwise are just trying to get you to pay more for something you most likely don't need. Go read up on it yourself there's a boat load of discussion on the internet.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Ethan15 wrote: I'm wondering if the hubcentric is generally recommended over steel rims?

Does installing tire on multi fit is harder and require more precision / skill as opposed to installing it on a hubcentric rim?

Thanks,

Hubcentric is the best practice.

Multi-fit is a compromise so it is not as strong as the hubcentric design, given the same gauge of metal.

When a tire is being balanced, it is mounted on the balancer's hub. There are not wheel bolts on the balancer. So when you install the wheel back to the car and you rely merely on the centering of the hub bolts, YMMV.

Shops stock "one-size-fits-all" multi-fit rims to reduce cost and broaden availability. A consumer should always look for hubcentric if possible, but sometimes it is not easy because everyone wants the cheapest rims that fits.

Having said all above, I used non-hubcentric once and it did not cause me any problem. (I drive 115 max) Again, YMMV.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
gotak is right on the money.
People will try and espouse the horrors of multi use or non hubcetric wheels but in fact, if manufacturers had to make perfect fit hubs for all the different models of cars, the wheels would be cost prohibitive. There are no safety concerns with non hubcentric wheels at all. Not a one. There is no comprimise at all.
There is no evidence that steel multi use wheels are dangerous or even a hazard or even a problem in any way. Go ahead and use them for winter (or even summmer) tires without worrying at all.
If you have any concerns about corrosion or the wheels corroding onto the hubs, spray the mating surface with a corrosion inhibitor. I have done that for years and never had an issue of the wheel sticking to the hub.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
48 upvotes
There are bolt advantages and disadvantages:

advantage -
hub centric rims will reduce the possibilty of having vibrating issues when bolted onto the vehicle.

disadvantage -
when it comes time to resell those rims, the market isn't as broad. You are limited to only those people who have your vehicle (or vehicles with smaller hubs).

Ofcourse, sometimes price is a factor. If hubcentric is only $20 more (or even the same price), you might as well get it. But for example in the case of Subaru hub-centric steel rims, they are close to $100 more than the multi-fit. I'd say it's not worth the cost in that case. But something like a Civic or Mazda 3, go for hubcentric.

Generally, if you have a 5-lug (or more) vehicle, hub-centric isn't really necessary, as the lugs will center the wheel (if installed properly). not the same story on a 4-lug vehicle though...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
CRXGSR wrote: ..Ofcourse, sometimes price is a factor.....
+1, IMO

Hub centric rims tend to be OEM and are built to a higher quality standard so you pay more, but have less of a chance for problems

Multi fit are designed for a lower cost market = lower price = lower quality standards = more runout and cheaper metal = more chance for problems
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Just go to a junkyard and get OE steelies, shouldn't be at all hard to find if your car is relatively common.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
googoo wrote: Just go to a junkyard and get OE steelies, shouldn't be at all hard to find if your car is relatively common.

Brent

Interesting suggestion. Just how many vehicles nowadays come with OE steelies? I can't think f many.
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Multi fit are designed for a lower cost market = lower price = lower quality standards = more runout and cheaper metal = more chance for problems

That's why they are good for winter time.
Mar 21, 2009
255 posts
95 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
googoo wrote: Just go to a junkyard and get OE steelies, shouldn't be at all hard to find if your car is relatively common.

Brent
I went there several junk yard want me $150/tire+wheel...... :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario

Brent

I've done this a couple of times looking for used rim's be they steel or alloy. Either they are sold out because their are popular, or they are expensive -- almost as much as new.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Interesting suggestion. Just how many vehicles nowadays come with OE steelies? I can't think f many.
I couldn't either until I saw a brand new Legacy with them, lol. Also Volvo, LOL Volvo. Pretty much the most expensive non-exotic brand out there and at least last year the S40 was still coming with steel wheels on the base model. :rolleyes:

But apart from those cars where you really would not expect to find them, a good lot of economy cars do still come with them in base trim. Coslowla, Accent, Versa, Fit, and many other economy cars are still fitted with steel wheels as standard equipment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of cars offer a lower level with hub caps, they will fit most of the upper trim level(that come with alloys), and may be a -1 or -2 in fitment, so it saves you some money getting winter tires too.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Feb 26, 2005
249 posts
Oakville
I'm not knowledgeable about cars. Can someone help me with the following: I'm looking for winter tires/rims for a 2011 Volvo S40. What do I need to be aware of with respect to the rims? I'm looking to get steel rims?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
nchopra wrote: I'm not knowledgeable about cars. Can someone help me with the following: I'm looking for winter tires/rims for a 2011 Volvo S40. What do I need to be aware of with respect to the rims? I'm looking to get steel rims?

Thanks.

Go to a reputable tire reseller and you will get what your car needs. Do not get caught up on this hub centric stuff.
In case you do not know what hub centric is, it is the center hole of the wheel being the same diameter as the hub and fits tightly over it. A none hub centric will have a larger hole that will fit over many vehicles hubs as there are slight differences in hub (bearing) sizes.
Anyway, don't worry, the conical nuts will center the wheel on the studs (and by default the wheel) just perfectly. You ain't going racing, you ain't going 200 kmh per hr and you ain't doing 3 G turns on those winter tires. The wheels will stay on, will retain balance and, will save you money over OEM specific wheels. Don't even let anyone try and sell you on hub rings to "snug" up the fit, that is a up sell too. :)