[OP]
Sep 16, 2008
100 posts
68 upvotes

Hubitat elevation home automation hub $69.95 USD

Deal Link:
Price:
$69.95 USD
Looks like Hubitat is running a Valentines Day sale right now, it is regular $99.95 USD.

Hubitat.com
$69.95 USD
$13.00 USD shipping with USPS
---------------------------------------------
$82.95 USD or $109.91 CAD, but you may get charged tax and handling fee by Canada Customs unless you get lucky.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/canada- ... ty/9777/55

Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1 ... XWLR&psc=1
$74.95 USD ,
$7.32 USD Shipping and Handling ,
$9.98 USD Import Fees Deposit
---------------------------------------------
$91.95 USD or $124.89 CAD if ordered through Amazon USA (This includes tax and import fees)
Last edited by hardcorn on Feb 15th, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
2492 posts
1714 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please!
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 28GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Sep 26, 2019
81 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Point of clarification: although they indicate $99.95 as being the regular price, they haven't been selling it at that price for quite awhile. Since at least September it was ~$89.95 and then on Black Friday it dropped to $74.95 and stayed there for at least a week or so before inching up to $79.95 and remaining there.

What makes this latest offer interesting is that shipping is included.

Anyone interested in importing one to Canada should review this thread.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/canada- ... -duty/9777
There's a chance you may also have to also pay taxes, duties, brokerage fees, etc. It seems that those who chose to use USPS (US Postal Service) stood a better chance of receiving the item without extra charges.

You should also review the threads reporting inexplicable slowdowns occurring after a few days of operation. Not everyone is affected and the cause remains elusive. All sorts of reasons have been offered but nothing singled out yet (it's remains a process of elimination).

https://community.hubitat.com/search?q=slowdown
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1571 posts
548 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Why would someone want to buy this? I see the most significant reviews on Amazon are from 2018, and even at the time much of the information was a historical interest only comparing to the SmartThings v1 hub.

Reviews from the days when they were trying to take the crown from v1, and stringify was still a thing are not useful.
What I would love to see is if this could do the equivalent to we core logic without the web... Then it might be useful.
But probably not. Ever since Alexa started supporting more complex routines vendors have been jumping the itfff ship.

If you have to bridge your devices by having Alexa activating a virtual switch, webcore will not be your bottleneck.
Sep 26, 2019
81 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal, QC
facebook259 wrote: Why would someone want to buy this?
As I see it, the person who chooses to buy this is either:
  • An existing SmartThings Hub owner who now wishes to have automations executed locally (on the hub) and not in the SmartThings cloud (subject to service interruptions).
  • New to home automation but aware of the advantages of having automations executed locally.
In both cases the individual wants a commercially supported "appliance" (integrated hardware/software solution) and isn't ready (or not aware of) making the leap to buying their own hardware and installing either a paid commercial or free open-source product.

SmartThings recently announced that they intend to move to the same model and make their Hub execute automations locally.

I started automating my home in 2006, when cloud-based home automation didn't exist. The whole topic of "moving to local execution" is "Back to the Future" because that's the way it's always been done in Home Automation, at least until "appliances" and "services" changed the model and made it cloud-based.

The most recent reviews of Hubitat can be found on their community forum (featuring both positive and negative reviews).

FWIW, for interested purchasers, Hubitat doesn't have an Amazon storefront; third-parties resell Hubitat Hubs, at whatever price they feel the market can bear (like the CDN$165 they're currently asking).
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2124 posts
2042 upvotes
Vancouver
facebook259 wrote: Why would someone want to buy this? I see the most significant reviews on Amazon are from 2018, and even at the time much of the information was a historical interest only comparing to the SmartThings v1 hub.

Reviews from the days when they were trying to take the crown from v1, and stringify was still a thing are not useful.
It's too bad the Stringify forums went offline when Comcast shut down Stringify last year, because in the months prior to the shutdown there was an extensive discussion of all the alternatives that was very informative.

Hubitat was suggested as one of the primary alternatives, and it got a lot of positive support at the time from people who tried it and liked it.
Jan 21, 2017
105 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Love my Hubitat, no slowdown issues here. Only time I have to reboot with it is when updates roll out and they are optional at my schedule to apply. No waking up in middle of the week and some auto update overnight broke something.

Started with Hubitat and love having options to mix and max so many various brands of gear with solid support. Have our heating, lights some motions sensors and assorted other sensors. Quite a list of stuff, have not had to mess around with anything after install and setup of new items complete.
Jul 7, 2007
228 posts
Markham
Just ordered mine, and will move on from SmartThings once I have it setup. Really went to this option as I would like to automate locally. I have experienced cloud outages with smartthings and that was not fun.
Another benefit is automation happen pretty much instantly vs delays going to the cloud with smartthings.
Sep 26, 2019
81 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FYI

If you don't experience slowdowns consider yourself fortunate. The founder himself has confirmed the issue does exist and is due to an elusive software bug that they are working hard to correct.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/will-hu ... n/34178/41

Depending on one's tolerance for bugs, this one is not necessarily a deal-breaker because it doesn't affect all owners. However, for those who are affected, there's no fix currently available other than rebooting the device when it becomes unacceptably slow.