56 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11332 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 9:39 am
I guess this means that we can expect even less service in the stores, if that is even possible.
Naww, we'll probably just see more store closures. Watch them open more Sack's and some more HBC clearance centres.
I was kinda hoping they'd bring back Zellers though. That would be nice.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
184 upvotes
Gatineau
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:02 am
Naww, we'll probably just see more store closures. Watch them open more Sack's and some more HBC clearance centres.
I was kinda hoping they'd bring back Zellers though. That would be nice.
If I was CEO I'd bring back the Zellers brand and create an online version of Consumers Distributing. Use the stores as pick up depots and try to get someone like Starbucks or Second Cup in there as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11332 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
exiledinottawa wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:09 am
If I was CEO I'd bring back the Zellers brand and create an online version of Consumers Distributing. Use the stores as pick up depots and try to get someone like Starbucks or Second Cup in there as well.
That's smart, but the store still has to be a store too. Starbucks was with Target. They're gone, so maybe Starbucks will gladly move into a Zellers store. If not, I'm sure Second cup would love to. Don't rule out Timmothy's as a third choice...
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9231 posts
3314 upvotes
Ottawa
exiledinottawa wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:09 am
You mean exactly what Sears should have done 10 years ago with a massive head start since they already had everything to remain a top 5 Canadian retailer?
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3274 posts
400 upvotes
Wat
I bought a Dyson vacuum from them last month only because they had triple e-bates (7.5%). Otherwise, I haven't stepped foot in their store for 15+ years. Does anyone here shop there regularly?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Wiseman wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:26 pm
...Does anyone here shop there regularly?
There are only a few places I shop at, and the Bay is one of them. They carry certain stuff that isn't sold anywhere else or is only sold at one other retailer (eg. Nordstrom).

The Bay should pay focus groups to find out what people's opinions are on the company. I would say that some locations really suck (in terms of merchandise and store condition) and should be closed or turned into Zellers.
Nov 15, 2009
188 posts
12 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 9:39 am
HBC has posted another quarterly loss of $152 million and is making some tough decisions. (http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... -decisions). I guess this means that we can expect even less service in the stores, if that is even possible.
Strange, I thought HBC was going to expand into US. Taking over main us store can't remember which one ( something like Macy's) or is it JC Penny
Last edited by MasterMK on Apr 5th, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14279 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto
Wiseman wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:26 pm
I bought a Dyson vacuum from them last month only because they had triple e-bates (7.5%). Otherwise, I haven't stepped foot in their store for 15+ years. Does anyone here shop there regularly?
I do. They have crazy sales sometimes on clothes. I've bought pants for literally $6 there recently, and these are name brand clothes that fit well. Get an HBC Mastercard, use Ebates, and watch for sales if you really want to get the best shopping experience.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3700 posts
491 upvotes
Richmond
if they dumped trump and supported Canadian values like multiculturalism maybe they could get some buying binges from the left. Too Bad for them they insist on selling crap by someone who thinks nothing of stiffing people including the Canadian tax payer as there will probably be Americans who come up here for expensive surgeries and skip out on the bill.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
Good pickings at sale times...it is going to be a great place to shop between now and their bankruptcy filing. Like Target, but upscale, before the death throes.

Online they are hugely aggressive with email, which is an annoyance, but they do have a lot of exclusive clothing brands.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
In other news... water is wet.
Full story at 11.
Cas77 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:19 pm
You mean exactly what Sears should have done 10 years ago with a massive head start since they already had everything to remain a top 5 Canadian retailer?
Yeah really...
Sears easily could have been what Amazon is today.
Literally everything was in place already.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15550 posts
983 upvotes
Another vote for a Zellers return. At least in my area I'd imagine it'd flip to a Zellers if they did do so.

My local Bay is kind of a dump considering it's an "upscale" store.

Dated fixtures and tiles etc. Even the foam ceiling is full of water stains and, the last time I was in one, there was a section of the store blocked off because of the leaking ceiling.

Looked pretty dead as well for customers.

I think the fragrance section does well but they could easily spin that off into a "Sak's Perfume" smaller store in the same mall.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4229 posts
373 upvotes
Markham
I think Bay has too many store like the one in centre point mall. There are not their target customers area
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
701 posts
466 upvotes
MasterMK wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 2:02 pm
Strange, I thought HBC was going to expand into US. Taking over main us store can't remember which one ( something like Macy's) or is it JC Penny
HBC is in the US with Lord and Taylor and Saks. It also recently bought online retailer Gilt and German retailer Galeria Kaufhof. HBC has been selling some of its iconic buildings and using the cash to buy different retailers. Lower sales is lower sales, regardless of how many stores and locations you own.