• Jun 8th, 2017 8:09 pm
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:20 pm
HBC is in the US with Lord and Taylor and Saks. It also recently bought online retailer Gilt and German retailer Galeria Kaufhof. HBC has been selling some of its iconic buildings and using the cash to buy different retailers. Lower sales is lower sales, regardless of how many stores and locations you own.
Their sales were higher...The quarterly loss was result of writedowns on value of some of their acquisitions
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I went to the Bay downtown to look at something I saw on their website. It turned out the thing I wanted to check out wasn't there, though every other thing was. So, I ask if I can get the thing sent to the store, and they said I can just get it through the website and sent to my place. But, it doesn't meet the minimum free shipping. Am I supposed to just order 2 so that I meet minimum for free shipping and then return the extra item? Seems like an RFD scuzzy way to do things. But, why didn't the Bay have what I wanted instore in the first place? It's regular price, after all.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2809 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
I'd hate to see the Bay close. They got better brands and sometimes they got some nice deals. Much better than Sears.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
602 posts
403 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:58 am
I went to the Bay downtown to look at something I saw on their website. It turned out the thing I wanted to check out wasn't there, though every other thing was. So, I ask if I can get the thing sent to the store, and they said I can just get it through the website and sent to my place. But, it doesn't meet the minimum free shipping. Am I supposed to just order 2 so that I meet minimum for free shipping and then return the extra item? Seems like an RFD scuzzy way to do things. But, why didn't the Bay have what I wanted instore in the first place? It's regular price, after all.
Different sized stores in different markets carry different stock. And, the online store is a separate entity from the b&m stores. Yes, some people order multiple items to receive free shipping and then return what they don't want to the stores. Stores hate it as returns are counted against sales and if the item isn't normally stocked in that particular store then it has to be shipped to another store. Yes - inefficiency at its finest.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1752 posts
562 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:07 pm
Different sized stores in different markets carry different stock. And, the online store is a separate entity from the b&m stores. Yes, some people order multiple items to receive free shipping and then return what they don't want to the stores. Stores hate it as returns are counted against sales and if the item isn't normally stocked in that particular store then it has to be shipped to another store. Yes - inefficiency at its finest.
I don't understand why they don't do free shipping to store. As much as I hate Sears, at least they have that option.
May 28, 2012
9434 posts
1778 upvotes
Saskatoon
The problem with the Bay for me, same with Sears and Canadian Tire...you can't trust their prices, almost everything is marked 50-75% more and then they randomly have 50-75% off certain departments. Gap is also in the same boat, when isn't there 40-50% off their product?
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
BURNABY
I like the bay, I picked up a new pair of shoes on Boxing Day in DT Vancouver.

However alot of Bays I see are kind of dumps
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:58 am
I finally found a dress online to buy in addition to the item I was originally interested in. Hopefully, I do not need to do a return because it is actually an ordeal for me to get my azz to The Bay Downtown. It sucks up so much of my time, as well as trying to find a clerk (or dressing room) in the store. What's annoying is that in-store prices are often different from website prices.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1520 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
I think The Bay wants to be an upscale store, but the public doesn't see it that way.
As some of you mentioned, the physical condition of the stores are not appealing. The online stores and B&M don't carry the same items. The only good thing about B&M these days is to touch and feel the product, see it on display, and ease of return.

My last few trips to the Bay was rather disappointing. I ordered a set of furnitures to be shipped 3 months later, and a few days before shipment one of the key parts was out of stock and nobody bothered to call me until I called them to confirm delivery times.
If I have a question or need to pay, I would walk the whole floor and not be able to find anyone available, and it wasn't even a busy day, the store was rather empty.

The only good thing is they carry certain brands that is hard to find elsewhere.

It is still far from being my first choice though.
Nov 25, 2010
63 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if this will affect their attempt to take over Macy's? They need to close some of the under performing stores and bring back Zellers or something new to compete with the dying Sears brand.
2017 Wins: Going in Style movie passes, Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales Flag, Decanter Fine Wine Encounter, Free 2L of Canada Dry, Dog Food from Cesar
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13626 posts
1196 upvotes
Toronto
STC Hudson's Bay has gone through some renovations. The entire 3rd floor is actually impressive now, as is other departments, like Cosmetics.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Feb 22, 2016
778 posts
395 upvotes
luisduo69 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 7:10 pm
I wonder if this will affect their attempt to take over Macy's? They need to close some of the under performing stores and bring back Zellers or something new to compete with the dying Sears brand.
Zellers is never coming back in the form you remember. HBC killed it off because the writing was on the wall that they can't beat Walmart in that arena (and neither could Target as we saw). Bringing back Zellers would be as stupid as Target taking another shot.

HBC is instead doubling down on the mystique of the Saks name -- going to see more Saks and Off 5th stores up here. Part of the former Zellers then Target store in Pickering is now an Off 5th. Wouldn't surprise me if the ultimate goal is to kill off the "Hudson Bay" banner and consolidate all their department stores as Saks. Much like what Macy's did in the U.S. with all the banners it owns.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11201 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 7:07 pm
I think Bay has too many store like the one in centre point mall. There are not their target customers area
They have a good opportunity to go HBC clearance or bring back Zellers, since there is no Target to compete with now and no Walmart close by.
Perhaps they're just leaving things alone knowing there's also no Sears close by...
(The nearest Sears is a sears clearance centre, is it not??)
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4454 posts
750 upvotes
The Queen St location is alright. Best selection.

Online is where it is at during Bay Days (going on now)
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Dec 16, 2015
711 posts
300 upvotes
Canada
I've been getting brand name dress shirts for $20 like tommy's, calvin's, etc...so their sales are actually pretty good!