Hudson's Bay Still Losing Money

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 4:06 am
Dec 16, 2015
560 posts
198 upvotes
exiledinottawa wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:09 am
If I was CEO I'd bring back the Zellers brand and create an online version of Consumers Distributing. Use the stores as pick up depots and try to get someone like Starbucks or Second Cup in there as well.
What use for bringing the Zellers brand back?? And also Consumers Distributing... lots of recent rich immigrants don't even know it lol

IF they're creating another online presence, name it "The eBay"

LoL
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10454 posts
1330 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:21 pm
What use for bringing the Zellers brand back?? And also Consumers Distributing... lots of recent rich immigrants don't even know it lol

LoL
I think bringing back Zellers would be a very smart move.
Feb 22, 2016
608 posts
293 upvotes
Redsanta wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:21 pm

LoL
I'd say the chances of Zellers coming back in the next 5 years is the same as the chances of Best Buy going bankrupt in that same timeframe....
Dec 26, 2010
756 posts
205 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
They really need to modernize their inventory system. Every store is its own outlet, not everything in store is online and vice versa. You cant see inventory from online, you cant buy online and pickup in store etc.
May 13, 2014
266 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one who thinks that The Bay being the way it is and having the reputation it has is great for savvy shoppers?

I mean, where else could I have gotten sets of high-end Made in England fine china for $28 per table setting? At that price, getting enough sets for 8 people to dine only cost me what I would've had to pay for 1 and a half sets on Amazon or at BB&B.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
286 posts
179 upvotes
I also manage to find some amazing deals at the Bay. Sometimes though you have to be patient and seek out the deals. In my experience, signs and price tags are more often wrong than right. I always price check items at the Bay.
Mar 26, 2005
139 posts
108 upvotes
St Clements, MB
1. I like self service price checkers at Hudson's Bay. In Winnipeg they are located in Polo Park and St Vital full line department stores and in Crossroads and Kenaston Home Stores. The 1926-built Portage & Memorial store and the Polo Park Home Store lack self service price checkers.
2. The website carries a large percentage of Outfitters exclusive SKUs but never offers them at similar sale prices advertised at either Home Outfitters or Hudson’s Bay Home Stores.
3. The 1926-built Portage and Memorial store hasn't had a major to the studs renovation in decades, but the store has had periodic maintenance like painting. Since shrinking the store from 7 levels to 2 , they haven't relocated the washrooms and evicted 3rd party tenants from the 4th floor.
May 13, 2014
266 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 8:17 am
I also manage to find some amazing deals at the Bay. Sometimes though you have to be patient and seek out the deals. In my experience, signs and price tags are more often wrong than right. I always price check items at the Bay.
Indeed! If you just pick up some random item that catches your eye and bring it to the register, you're gonna get sticker shock and then either embarrassedly decline to purchase the item or walk out feeling ripped off. Which is what I suspect happens to the vast majority of people who have tried shopping at The Bay.

...Which, of course, means more amazing deals to be found for people like us Winking Face
Jul 24, 2012
733 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
I just saw a friend's post on FB saying the bay is cutting costs by removing in-store wifi
Jan 11, 2009
90 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
If you're looking for work wear Bay has a nice selection of shirts and pants and if you know when their big sales are you can get some good discounts. Stores like Zara, Banana Republic etc seem to just stock clothes in sizes that are for men with eating disorders so it's good to have a place like Bay where you can get better sizes.
Jul 30, 2015
970 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto, ON
monsoon66 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 1:24 pm
If you're looking for work wear Bay has a nice selection of shirts and pants and if you know when their big sales are you can get some good discounts. Stores like Zara, Banana Republic etc seem to just stock clothes in sizes that are for men with eating disorders so it's good to have a place like Bay where you can get better sizes.
I am skinny as ****, and even I find Zara very tight. Not sure how it works for normal men.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4628 upvotes
murtadi007 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:59 am
I just saw a friend's post on FB saying the bay is cutting costs by removing in-store wifi
How much can this really save?
I mean... all the APs are already there.
I'm assuming they already have internet.

The conspiracy side of me says that they're removing it so users can't use their internet to compare prices.
Feb 22, 2016
608 posts
293 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:03 pm
How much can this really save?
I mean... all the APs are already there.
I'm assuming they already have internet.

The conspiracy side of me says that they're removing it so users can't use their internet to compare prices.
Most people nowadays have some data if not unlimited, so removing the free WiFi won't totally prevent this. That and most shopping malls offer it anyway -- how many standalone Bay stores do you see (that aren't attached to a mall), not counting Home Outfitters?
However, who is least likely to have data on their mobile phones? The cheapskates. So yes, this tactic might have some effect especially if the mall's WiFi doesn't penetrate far into Hudson Bay's part of the building. Too cheap to pay for data, too cheap to shop at The Bay...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4628 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 12:09 am
Most people nowadays have some data if not unlimited,
Hold up. Where are you getting unlimited mobile data and in what direction shall I throw my money?
how many standalone Bay stores do you see (that aren't attached to a mall), not counting Home Outfitters?
this tactic might have some effect especially if the mall's WiFi doesn't penetrate far into Hudson Bay's part of the building.
This would be a problem if you didn't have data.
Still though, we're talking about a very small percentage of the population that will even check for pricing and a percentage of them that don't have data.

Plus since there's no "seating" in the Bay (as in a place to eat/drink/stay in spot for any length of time) I honestly can't imagine that many people are using a large volume of data to where there'll be significant savings.

This is just weird and hilarious.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
286 posts
179 upvotes
The Bay would do much better investing in its technology. The POS systems still run on Windows XP and its Rewards programs is DOS based. If you receive an email discount with a bar code, you have to print it and bring it to the store as the store cannot scan the bar code. Only one or two customer service desks have access to the online web site. If you have the store order online for you, you cannot use a HBC Gift Card as a method of payment - you have to go home and order it online yourself. And, store personnel cannot order an item online without having a SKU - so, find an item you like but not in your size and it is a nightmare trying to get the store to order it for you due to its outdated systems.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel