Shopping Discussion

Hudson's Bay Still Losing Money

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2017 8:09 pm
Aug 28, 2016
70 posts
57 upvotes
Love the Bay, place is very old, but no one bothers you, so you can just try on clothes before you buy anything. It's what I don't like about Moores, them people are always trying to tell you every shirt looks nice on you so that you will buy. Drives me crazy. Can't try any clothes I like.
Aug 28, 2016
70 posts
57 upvotes
Does anyone know what the quality of dress shirts are like from Moores to the Bay? I know the Kenneth Cole shirts are higher quality at Moores but other dress shirts I don't know.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4548 posts
349 upvotes
Scarborough
as usual, canadian system stuck in archaic zones forever, not willing to change, lol
just like ole white boys clubs eh
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4548 posts
349 upvotes
Scarborough
Mike2258 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 7:43 pm
Does anyone know what the quality of dress shirts are like from Moores to the Bay? I know the Kenneth Cole shirts are higher quality at Moores but other dress shirts I don't know.
I've bought several shirts from them, but only the ones on sale/clearance (the good brands). They're ok for quality.

I've liked the black pants i buy from them (haggar brand) cotton ones. Those were good. Although Mark's also carries nice pants (denver hayes brand) which i find good too.
Black pants go with everything so those are decent at Bay as well as at Marks.

T-shirts are a hit and miss. Same old crap most of the time, really sucks we got not much variety in Canada
Aug 30, 2015
880 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I thought The Bay is going to take over Macy and expand to the USA......
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7735 posts
1137 upvotes
Mike2258 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 7:40 pm
Love the Bay, place is very old, but no one bothers you, so you can just try on clothes before you buy anything. It's what I don't like about Moores, them people are always trying to tell you every shirt looks nice on you so that you will buy. Drives me crazy. Can't try any clothes I like.
Same. When they have a good sale I will pile in with $400 of clothes for $200-250. No one bothers me and they have most of my favorite brands.

Best place to shop for clothes IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7735 posts
1137 upvotes
Smartchen wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 11:08 pm
It was a rumor
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10534 posts
1383 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The Bay sent me the wrong item. The wrong item I received has the same number as the item I ordered. Can't get the item I want because the discrepancy needs to be sorted out first. Unsatisfied customer here!! Gotta send the item back to the warehouse, but that means I gotta wait for a refund. Probably just gonna make a store return.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4636 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 9:15 am
The Bay would do much better investing in its technology. The POS systems still run on Windows XP and its Rewards programs is DOS based.
I don't see this as a problem.
There's no point in spending a million bucks buying new versions of Windows when XP still works, especially if the terminals aren't connected to the internet.
Feb 22, 2016
630 posts
306 upvotes
Smartchen wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 11:08 pm
They're already in the USA - they own Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord and Taylor....
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13066 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 9:15 am
The Bay would do much better investing in its technology. The POS systems still run on Windows XP and its Rewards programs is DOS based. If you receive an email discount with a bar code, you have to print it and bring it to the store as the store cannot scan the bar code. Only one or two customer service desks have access to the online web site. If you have the store order online for you, you cannot use a HBC Gift Card as a method of payment - you have to go home and order it online yourself. And, store personnel cannot order an item online without having a SKU - so, find an item you like but not in your size and it is a nightmare trying to get the store to order it for you due to its outdated systems.
Last I read, the Bay WAS actually working on their systems but the back end of things, in terms of website purchasing and moving product to customers. Some outlook to the future and how we will shop.

Well, hoping anyways ...
"Deal of the Day" addict