• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 3:08 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2019
32 posts
6 upvotes

Huge air returns into basement

Hello,

I have 2 large air returns on my main floor that lead directly into the basement. I also have air return vents on my main floor that run through ducting into the furnace, but these vents are literally just holes in the floor that lead to the basement and are covered by a vent.

It’s and older house and I am going to be replacing the flooring. Is there any issue with getting rid of these vents?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1976 posts
141 upvotes
Kitchener
Your HVAC system needs return air to work properly. I wouldn't cover anything over without having an HVAC person in the home to give you advice.
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2019
32 posts
6 upvotes
That's why I'm confused - there are already multiple return vents that run through ductwork directly to the furnace.

These are just 2 "vents" that don't tie into the hvac system at all. They are just square cutouts in the main floor, and if you remove the vent, you could fit inside the opening and you'd be in the basement.

I don't understand why they were added or why they might be needed. I will try to add a pic tomorrow.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3500 posts
1485 upvotes
dani6634 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 11:02 pm
That's why I'm confused - there are already multiple return vents that run through ductwork directly to the furnace.

These are just 2 "vents" that don't tie into the hvac system at all. They are just square cutouts in the main floor, and if you remove the vent, you could fit inside the opening and you'd be in the basement.

I don't understand why they were added or why they might be needed. I will try to add a pic tomorrow.
Do you have any actual return air vents in the basement? If not than they would be relief vents in order to get the air out of the basement that the furnace blew in, assuming you have any supply air vents in the basement.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2019
32 posts
6 upvotes
There are supply vents in the basement, but no returns that lead through ducts into the furnace.

Is there any way to eliminate the ones I have and have returns that pull the air back from the basement?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2786 posts
975 upvotes
Those are not air return vents at all.

They are heating vents from what is commonly known as a gravity furnace heating system. Essentially a big burner located in a central area of the basement, and large vents in the floor above, and even the floor above that, which allowed the hot air to rise.

You can close them up, and donate the old grates to the guy who answered your question.

Cheers
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2245 posts
971 upvotes
ontario
Fieldhousehandyman likely has it.. these are also common in homes where wood (ie wood stove) is/was used as a source of heat in the basement allowing the warm air to rise to the other levels easier. If you still have wood heat leave em.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11470 posts
2877 upvotes
GTA
You could install a firemans pole to create a quick way of getting to the basement. Wheeeeeeeeeee !!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2283 posts
598 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 5:18 pm
You could install a firemans pole to create a quick way of getting to the basement. Wheeeeeeeeeee !!
And here I was going to say laundry chute, but that’s a much better idea.