Students

Humber college or lakehead university?

Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote

Humber college or lakehead university?

Hi I'm an international student starting in January 2019.
I have an offer from humber college for the bachelor's of supply chain management and lakehead university's bachelor of commerce program. Which to you think is better and why? They're both bachelor degrees

Thank you :)
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1834 posts
279 upvotes
The campuses of Humber College are located in Greater Toronto Area and those of Lakehead University in Orillia and Thunder Bay, Ontario.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote
cybercavalier wrote: The campuses of Humber College are located in Greater Toronto Area and those of Lakehead University in Orillia and Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Yes. I have an offer from lakehead thunder Bay and humber lakeshore
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK
wallflower31 wrote: Hi I'm an international student starting in January 2019.
I have an offer from humber college for the bachelor's of supply chain management and lakehead university's bachelor of commerce program. Which to you think is better and why? They're both bachelor degrees

If you already live in the GTA, Humber would be a good choice. Humber's degree is also a bachelor of commerce degree in supply chain management, according to their website. Their paid work placement in semester 6 and 7 could lead to a full time job with their industry partner. If not, at least you could get a part time job ( I think international students can work a set number of hours while studying (???))
Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote
NoWynne2018 wrote: If you already live in the GTA, Humber would be a good choice. Humber's degree is also a bachelor of commerce degree in supply chain management, according to their website. Their paid work placement in semester 6 and 7 could lead to a full time job with their industry partner. If not, at least you could get a part time job ( I think international students can work a set number of hours while studying (???))
I'll be coming from India so I'm not sure where to go exactly.
Humber has one co op term but lakehead has 4/5 co ops however lakehead feels like its in another part of the world but on the other hand I'm not sure of the job opportunities in humber and if employers prefer a bachelor's degree from a college.
I was thinking of transferring to ryerson or york in my second year but I don't know if they'll accept me if I go to humber or even lakehead for that matter. I'm really confused.
If you do have any experience or tips do let me know
Thank you! :)
Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote
Hi does anyone know what the student life in lakehead is like? And how is it like to live in thunder bay?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18153 posts
14116 upvotes
Toronto
I did undergrad there (1998 grad), had a great time, met a lot of people who are my best friends today.

Small town and isolated but i enjoyed my time there a lot.
Apr 2, 2018
25 posts
5 upvotes
If you do not want to live in a small and isolated city and you do not like very cold weather, do not go to Lakehead. I am sure that it is a good university, but it would not have been a good pick for a person like myself w/ seasonal affect in the Winter. Google the city and see for yourself if you would like to live there.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes

How well do your gonads adjust to icicles and 8.5 month long winters?
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
93 upvotes

Do not pay international student fees for a Bachelor's degree from a Canadian college. There is a difference between obtaining a degree from college as opposed to a university. It will not be viewed through the same lens by employers or your peers in the industry.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
Brown Thug wrote: Do not pay international student fees for a Bachelor's degree from a Canadian college. There is a difference between obtaining a degree from college as opposed to a university. It will not be viewed through the same lens by employers or your peers in the industry.
Isn't the Bachelor's at Humber through the University of Guelph?
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
93 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Isn't the Bachelor's at Humber through the University of Guelph?
I'm not sure. If your degree just says University of Guelph, then I would absolutely choose that over Lakehead.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
Brown Thug wrote: I'm not sure. If your degree just says University of Guelph, then I would absolutely choose that over Lakehead.
https://www.guelphhumber.ca/business

It seems that you are initially enrolled in a 3-year diploma program and (depending on your GPA) would be allowed to complete the fourth year with a UoG degree and its own diploma. The program curriculum is closely related to UoG while going through the initial 3 year program. Of course I am not 100% certain, but this seems to be the logical step in a such a program.
Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote
eldiablo wrote: https://www.guelphhumber.ca/business

It seems that you are initially enrolled in a 3-year diploma program and (depending on your GPA) would be allowed to complete the fourth year with a UoG degree and its own diploma. The program curriculum is closely related to UoG while going through the initial 3 year program. Of course I am not 100% certain, but this seems to be the logical step in a such a program.
Hi, no the program offered by humber is the bachelor of commerce supply chain management which is not related to UoG :(
Aug 19, 2018
13 posts
1 upvote
I don't want to go to either of the places. I'm trying for Brock and Trent now ( if anyone knows anything about them please let me know)

Thank you to everyone who replied, you've been extremely helpful :)
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1834 posts
279 upvotes
To OP, please also share your some experience on application to lakehead, humber college, brock and trent. I think people may like to know.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)