Home & Garden

Humidifier pads - can you buy ones from home depot etc as long as same size or better to get brand specific ones?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 4:46 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
344 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Humidifier pads - can you buy ones from home depot etc as long as same size or better to get brand specific ones?

I have a general aire humidifier. The pad needs replacing - the general aire website recommends the ga10 pad for the particular humidifier we have but i have heard and read about people buying the generic ones from home depot etc.

Should 1 stick to the exact brand/pad recommended by the manufacturer or are the ones from home depot etc fine as long as they are the same size/dimensions? Difference is in terms of price although not huge and somewhat in terms of accessibility as home depot is a lot more convenient in terms of picking up items rather than track down the particular recommended pad for our humidifier.

However is it detrimental in any way to not use the specific brand type of pad recommended by the manufacturer?
4 replies
Oct 3, 2011
515 posts
300 upvotes
OTTAWA
try amre supply in the gta.. they list pads on amazon. If your general aire is like mine it has a metal frame around it. I tried looking for a home depot pad and none fit right. Before I found amre I ended up just disassembling the metal frame to install a hacked up filter from home depot. Not really an option if the frame as all sorts of nasty gunk on it.

https://www.amresupply.com/search?q=GA10
Aug 4, 2006
500 posts
178 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
RigorMortis wrote:
May 15th, 2019 5:10 pm
I have a general aire humidifier. The pad needs replacing - the general aire website recommends the ga10 pad for the particular humidifier we have but i have heard and read about people buying the generic ones from home depot etc.

Should 1 stick to the exact brand/pad recommended by the manufacturer or are the ones from home depot etc fine as long as they are the same size/dimensions? Difference is in terms of price although not huge and somewhat in terms of accessibility as home depot is a lot more convenient in terms of picking up items rather than track down the particular recommended pad for our humidifier.

However is it detrimental in any way to not use the specific brand type of pad recommended by the manufacturer?

Try Home Hsrdware. At times, their prices are very good.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30685 posts
5119 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RigorMortis wrote:
May 15th, 2019 5:10 pm
You can use any generic pad as long as it fits. It’s not rocket science and there is no special technology in the pad