• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes

Humidity while on Vacation

We will be heading out on vacation for 1 month and worried about humidity in the home. It's been a bit DRY as I set out humidifier on lower setting this year. I am pumping it back up for the next while but when we are away, what can we do to avoid DRYNESS?

We cannot have a house humidifier attached to our furnace, we tried but we have the new efficient crap. So we have a portable "whole house" humidifier but we have to fil u with water and don't want to keep it plugged in for a month.

I guess leave buckets of water everywhere or?????
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
Use your "call a friend" life line?
Let them come in on the weekends turn on the humidifiers, have a drink and some snacks, until the water tank is empty.
Sep 29, 2015
251 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:29 am
We cannot have a house humidifier attached to our furnace, we tried but we have the new efficient crap.
You didnt try the right one & installed properly then.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:33 am
Use your "call a friend" life line?
Let them come in on the weekends turn on the humidifiers, have a drink and some snacks, until the water tank is empty.
At the rate, the humidifier will empty in 2 days and the auto switch off doesn't work, don't want it running for 4+ days empty.

:)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes
davidmr wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:17 pm
You didnt try the right one & installed properly then.
We tried to look them up, there is lacking in space as well given the location of the furnace.

Do they have proper ones that work with efficient furnace that is heated by the water tank etc?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:36 am
As has been said before, fill up all the tubs and sinks with water.

Remember to shut off the main valve AND to drain all the pipes.
Is there a reason why one would drain the pipes?

I would assume filling up the sinks and tubs I would put a stopper and allow it to evaporate naturally...
Sep 29, 2015
251 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
This is obvious, If no one is there to refill the jugs then you wont be able to humidifier your house while you are away.
Sep 29, 2015
251 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:18 pm

Do they have proper ones that work with efficient furnace that is heated by the water tank etc?
Yes.

now if there isn't any space to install it thats differrent. But that has nothing to do with whether the furnace is efficent or not..
Feb 9, 2006
156 posts
39 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:17 pm
At the rate, the humidifier will empty in 2 days and the auto switch off doesn't work, don't want it running for 4+ days empty.

:)
Check with your home insurance, most require someone to check in on your home every 24 hours while you're away. In which case they could keep it running for you without any missed days.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes
Hexavalent wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:27 pm
Check with your home insurance, most require someone to check in on your home every 24 hours while you're away. In which case they could keep it running for you without any missed days.
I guess I can check but 24hr seems super excessive. Right now we only have our trustworthy brother who can get our mail once a week.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1730 posts
738 upvotes
GTA
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:18 pm
We tried to look them up, there is lacking in space as well given the location of the furnace.

What he said, you can install a flow through humidifier on a forced air furnace no problem. Dont know who said you cant, if they said that they dont know how or are lazy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9591 posts
1268 upvotes
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. It's probably a bit too late to get someone to come in again to check on furnace humidifier but I will take into the suggestions for the rest.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1332 posts
190 upvotes
Grimsby
Not sure I understand the dire need of a humidifier, I have not had one since 1986 and none of my homes or the family seem the worse for wear.

Shut the water off, drain the pipes and have a great holiday Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
Post a photo of your HVAC. I can't imagine one that couldn't fit a humidifier. I believe by code there has to plenty of space around the HVAC, though maybe different for a hybrid water system.
Even my crappy old unit with stupidly narrow return ducting was able to fit one.

That said, there must be some standalone drum type humidifiers that could b piped to a water source no? My parent used to have one that they manually filled with a bucket. All you need is a hose fitting with a level shutoff like whole house units have.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:10 pm
Post a photo of your HVAC. I can't imagine one that couldn't fit a humidifier. I believe by code there has to plenty of space around the HVAC, though maybe different for a hybrid water system.
Even my crappy old unit with stupidly narrow return ducting was able to fit one.

That said, there must be some standalone drum type humidifiers that could b piped to a water source no? My parent used to have one that they manually filled with a bucket. All you need is a hose fitting with a level shutoff like whole house units have.
NG furnaces are typically 1" min. clearance on three sides (manufacturer specs) and 24" on the front for servicing (code).