Humidity while on Vacation

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 10:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8637 posts
7278 upvotes
Oakville
Post a photo of your HVAC. I can't imagine one that couldn't fit a humidifier. I believe by code there has to plenty of space around the HVAC, though maybe different for a hybrid water system.
Even my crappy old unit with stupidly narrow return ducting was able to fit one.

That said, there must be some standalone drum type humidifiers that could b piped to a water source no? My parent used to have one that they manually filled with a bucket. All you need is a hose fitting with a level shutoff like whole house units have.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3083 posts
1356 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:10 pm
Post a photo of your HVAC. I can't imagine one that couldn't fit a humidifier. I believe by code there has to plenty of space around the HVAC, though maybe different for a hybrid water system.
Even my crappy old unit with stupidly narrow return ducting was able to fit one.

That said, there must be some standalone drum type humidifiers that could b piped to a water source no? My parent used to have one that they manually filled with a bucket. All you need is a hose fitting with a level shutoff like whole house units have.
NG furnaces are typically 1" min. clearance on three sides (manufacturer specs) and 24" on the front for servicing (code).
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2098 posts
484 upvotes
Windsor
Owbist wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:42 pm
Not sure I understand the dire need of a humidifier, I have not had one since 1986 and none of my homes or the family seem the worse for wear.

Shut the water off, drain the pipes and have a great holiday Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Different homes have different requirements due to general design, and materials used (namely wood). Also, different people care differently about the condition of their home.

The home I just bought was so dry, there are gaps in the hardwood where you could see into the basement; installed a humidification system and the gaps have begun closing, and tenants aren't getting nosebleeds anymore.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3910 posts
657 upvotes
Aurora
ChubChub wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:07 am
The home I just bought was so dry, there are gaps in the hardwood where you could see into the basement; installed a humidification system and the gaps have begun closing, and tenants aren't getting nosebleeds anymore.
You have no subfloor?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2098 posts
484 upvotes
Windsor
Toukolou wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:48 am
You have no subfloor?
Nope! House was built in 1870, so apparently it wasn't common back then (I have another rental built in 1890 which also has no subfloor, but this house was "cheaply built", so I figured that was why).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Mar 19, 2013
677 posts
201 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
If I was going to be away for a month. Someone would be checking daily. Piece of mind is priceless
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1270 posts
897 upvotes
Insurance usually requires every 4 days during heating season or you have no coverage.
Ignorance breeds fear.