• Dec 4th, 2019 8:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2046 posts
2042 upvotes
Living the dream

Hungry Man frozen dinner trays

I just had the unfortunate experience of being served one of these "Hungry Man" meals for my lunch today. I have spent a number of years in the slammer and I can't recall a single meal tasting as bad or being of lesser quality than this "hungry man" meal. Is it called a hungry man mea because you will still be hungry after the meal? The only edible item was the brownie, the mashed potatoes and the green beans tasted exactly the same, tasted just like water, and the salisbury steak dish tasted like a bowl of gravy while the consistency of the meat itself was reminiscent of those stale bazooka joe gum pieces. These tv dinners are at the bottom of the scale, well below airplane or hospital food, and miles below the food served in homeless shelters and the clink.

Does anyone actually buy/eat/enjoy these hungry man dinners?? Maybe the one I ate was just freezer burned? I assume some of these meals have been sitting in the freezer longer than some criminals have been sitting in cells serving our their sentences. If the government wants to see a reduction in criminal offenses in this country they should just sign a contract with the hungry man producers to supply the prisons with their meals.

Edit: I'm not too sure if the brownie was independently edible. It sort of merged with the mashed potatoes and may have derived some of its flavor from the the butter aka "yellow topping" of the mashed potato drink.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Share:
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14803 posts
2803 upvotes
Toronto
ElHoardo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 1:12 pm
I just had the unfortunate experience of being served one of these "Hungry Man" meals for my lunch today. I have spent a number of years in the slammer and I can't recall a single meal tasting as bad or being of lesser quality than this "hungry man" meal. Is it called a hungry man mea because you will still be hungry after the meal? The only edible item was the brownie, the mashed potatoes and the green beans tasted exactly the same, tasted just like water, and the salisbury steak dish tasted like a bowl of gravy while the consistency of the meat itself was reminiscent of those stale bazooka joe gum pieces. These tv dinners are at the bottom of the scale, well below airplane or hospital food, and miles below the food served in homeless shelters and the clink.

Does anyone actually buy/eat/enjoy these hungry man dinners?? Maybe the one I ate was just freezer burned? I assume some of these meals have been sitting in the freezer longer than some criminals have been sitting in cells serving our their sentences. If the government wants to see a reduction in criminal offenses in this country they should just sign a contract with the hungry man producers to supply the prisons with their meals.

Edit: I'm not too sure if the brownie was independently edible. It sort of merged with the mashed potatoes and may have derived some of its flavor from the the butter aka "yellow topping" of the mashed potato drink.
Did you remember to take the brownie out and set it aside after the first round of heating? Did you stir the mashed potatoes before the second round of heating? Most importantly, did you read the heating directions on the box properly before microwaving?
I try my best to avoid buying the Hungry man ones with mashed potato because it always tastes awful.
It's hard to find one that replaced the mashed potato with something else though. (in Canada)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25173 posts
10604 upvotes
I actually like the brownie. At least from what I can remember from 20 years ago.
The fried chicken was surprisingly decent considering it was microwaved. It obviously wasn't crispy, but the flavor was okay.
Everything else was a dumpster fire though.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14803 posts
2803 upvotes
Toronto
Where's the Hungryman burger? I want to see if it will taste like Burger King's burgers! :twisted:
Dec 29, 2012
872 posts
265 upvotes
Scarborough
I eat Hungryman and Swanson frozen dinners to save money (they can be found for $2-3 when on sale) and to save time when I'm in a hurry and not going out. Makes a change from Dr Oetker pizza and banhmi and a little better than canned food!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3070 posts
1043 upvotes
ElHoardo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 1:12 pm

You’re pretty picky with your food for being in jail and going to shelters
What do you usually eat?
I find hungry man dinners to taste fine, I’d eat it anytime if I was hungry. But I grew up poor
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1581 posts
727 upvotes
Toronto
With all the wood the stuff in these, sorry cellouse powder, it's not surprising they leave you hungry.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1226 posts
391 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
We buy these when they're on sale for about $3. I plate everything, cook some add'l veggies and they're just fine. But we're not picky eaters.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5463 posts
2276 upvotes
I would dump the dessert as it has the highest amount of trans-fat on the tray. The steak one is somewhat ok, a bit of a tough mincemeat steak with decent sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5895 posts
2457 upvotes
Hungry Man boneless pork rib shaped patties dinner, 2 kaisers, diced onion and sliced sweet dills = McRibs for 2.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1238 posts
81 upvotes
I actually don’t like the brownies that much and would rather have the good old apple cranberry dessert... They used to have that on many of their dinners in the past but have replaced most of them with the brownies (which I’m sure is more popular). I believe only the Turkey one has it nowadays?

As for the dinner itself I find the Fried chicken one ok and once in a blue moon the bbq rib one when I’m kinda craving for mcrib lol... but of course, I only eat them when there is absolutely no other food around/bad weather conditions and only stock up on a few of them when they are on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
Eat a Campbell's condensed soup and a sandwich! Hungry Man dinners - blech!!
Last edited by DiceMan on Dec 3rd, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 16, 2018
571 posts
526 upvotes
WTF at taking the time and energy to create a thread pretending you have never had one of these before when it's clear you have. Do people have that much time on their hands these days?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)