Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London

Hurt deer -- who to call?

There's a hurt deer outside my backyard.

Where I live (in London), we don't have a fully enclosed backyard. And it's pretty much woods over there. Occasionally we see deer grazing.

Today coming home from school I saw a lone deer lying down, and trying to get up. I approached (bad idea in retrospect), thinking it was stuck or something. It scrambled off a bit. The neighbors (who have a better vantage point than me, told me to not approach. We conversed for a while about what to do, as it's fast approaching nighttime and we have freezing rain over here. I wanted to call someone and she was against it, saying it might be a worse death.

I think I might go out tonight to see if it's still there. If it is, I might want to talk to the lady again. If we were to call someone, who should we call? And is it really going to be euthanised if we were to call someone?
Share:
49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5138 posts
6 upvotes
Midland
60 Carl Hall Rd., Unit 4
Toronto, ON M3K 2C1
Wildlife Hotline: (416) 631- 0662

http://www.torontowildlifecentre.com/

What to do if you find an animal in distress?

Note: your health and safety should always be your first concern - never do anything you are not comfortable with.

If it is safe to do so, confine the animal to a cardboard box in a warm, dark quiet place. If you have to handle the animal, wear thick gloves to protect yourself. There are, however, some species that may still injure you even with gloves on, and Toronto Wildlife Centre does not recommend attempting to handle any of the following animals: adult rodents, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and herons. In the case of a Cottontail rabbit, it is best not to pick it up at all as it can kick out and break its back this way. For the above mammals, it is better to use a board to gently push the animal into a large cage or kennel cab. In the case of a heron, it is best that the bird be contained in a large cardboard box.

If it is not safe to confine the animal, try to block off the area where the animal is so that it cannot escape while you are waiting for help. Call the hotline ASAP and leave a clear, detailed message. Highly trained hotline staff will call you back as quickly as possible during open hours.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3540 posts
2 upvotes
felixdd wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 3:33 pm
There's a hurt deer outside my backyard.

Where I live, we don't have a fully enclosed backyard. And it's pretty much woods over there. Occasionally we see deer grazing.

Today coming home from school I saw a lone deer lying down, and trying to get up. I approached (bad idea in retrospect), thinking it was stuck or something. It scrambled off a bit. The neighbors (who have a better vantage point than me, told me to not approach. We conversed for a while about what to do, as it's fast approaching nighttime and we have freezing rain over here. I wanted to call someone and she was against it, saying it might be a worse death.

I think I might go out tonight to see if it's still there. If it is, I might want to talk to the lady again. If we were to call someone, who should we call? And is it really going to be euthanised if we were to call someone?
how is euthanization a worse death than dieing by hypothermia?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34253 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
ministry of wildlife?
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London
Sorry guys didn't specify. I'm in London. But the links are still helpful because I can find London branches to the aforementioned organizations.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London
TapemanPL wrote:
Feb 6th, 2008 3:39 pm
how is euthanization a worse death than dieing by hypothermia?
It does sound callous. On the one hand I don't think it will be euthanized. On the other hand I think it's also best to let nature take its course. It's a whole different set of ethics, and I'm quite torn about what to do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7737 posts
3647 upvotes
Are you in oakridge by any chance?

I know there are a whole bunch (once i counted almost 20) in hydepark/hazelden lane area ...
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
2 upvotes
I would kill it. Its gonna die in the cold.

You don't really need any special tools either :twisted:
ItemFinder wrote:
Apr 13th, 2008 11:45 pm
Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
Apr 3, 2007
262 posts
Toronto
Venison
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
7 upvotes
If you don't own a gun a shovel will work.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4417 posts
65 upvotes
London
Just called London Animal Care Center to tell them the situation. They say they'll go and assess the animal and if it's bad enough, they'll call the cops to put it down. Otherwise they're just going to leave it.

I'm not happy with that at all. Yes the weather's nasty right now (freezing rain), but these are still wildlife...they have to live on whether it's rain or shine. In this case either it stands through the rain, or sits through the rain with an injured leg. I'm not convinced that the animal wants to be put down rather than tough it out. And to kill an animal in this case would be murder (you're killing something that doesn't want to die), if only to ease our human sense of guilt and conscience. I just think it deserves its fighting chance (I guess I can see where the neighbor's coming from now).

Still kind of torn about it though.
× < >