Home & Garden

HVAC Contractor (Thermostat installation)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2014 11:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes

HVAC Contractor (Thermostat installation)

I'm looking for a trusted recommendation for a certified, licensed and insured Contractor who is experienced in thermostat installations in condos. My condo is over 30 years old and uses fan coil heaters.

Any suggestions is appreciated.
My Feedbacks: My Heatware Ebay
7 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Assuming you already have a thermostat you just buy one that is compatible with the heating system and move a couple of wires around do you really need to hire somebody?

Also neither your post or profile mention anything about location. I know a good guy on the moon.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
Building management tells me that I am required to get a certified electrician to install this. Coupled by the fact that I am just learning the basics of handy man skills, I don't want to mess up anything even though it maybe a simple job.

I live in the Scarborough area.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1338 posts
134 upvotes
Calgary
Do you want a hvac contractor or an electrician?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
I'm looking for a HVAC contractor. I already have an electrical contractor on my contact list.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
murdoc2k wrote: I'm looking for a HVAC contractor. I already have an electrical contractor on my contact list.
You already have an electrical contractor, why not give him a call and ask him. Replacing a thermostat is no big deal any half descent electrical contractor should be able to do it.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
78 upvotes
tsatsa wrote: You already have an electrical contractor, why not give him a call and ask him. Replacing a thermostat is no big deal any half descent electrical contractor should be able to do it.
Did that already. He says that the type of HVAC system I have is a "fan coil unit" and that I can't just grab any thermostat from Home Depot and plug it in for there maybe a chance that it isn't running 120v which would lead to blowing up my motor. He suggested me to contact an actual HVAC contractor who can suggest fan coil compatible thermostats and have them do the installation instead.

My building has recommended a contractor to which I paid for but did a very shoddy job. He looked confused and when I asked him about the thermostat not being in full operation, he told me that it was my motor, to which I know 100% my motor has been working fine for as long as I've lived in this condo (10 years+).

Regardless of the thermostat not being in an operational state, he had left, leaving me with a dud thermostat and no heat as this thermostat would turn on and off the motor every few minutes. This is why I came here to ask for a trusted contractor.

I don't want him doing any service on my unit in the future so I would like to have some recommendation such that I have a trusted source for someone certified, professional and reliable to perform future maintenance, repairs or replacements on my unit.
Aug 11, 2008
637 posts
222 upvotes
My parents (Toronto) use Design Air for HVAC and hot water services for their own home and rental properties. My extended family (Toronto, Mississauga) also uses Design Air. http://www.designair.ca/

However, we have never used them in a condo building, so I would ask if they have experience with a 'fan coil unit' in a condo building before booking a service appointment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)