Scammers and Warnings

HVAC Installer took a $1000 deposit and took off.

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2019 11:45 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes

HVAC Installer took a $1000 deposit and took off.

Nov 14th - Order placed
Hi All, I recently required some work done, to install a garage heater. I emailed some HVAC guys on Kijiji and a guy called and came home to give me a quote. He requested a $1000 deposit to order the hardware which I sent by interac against an Invoice he sent me. This was on Nov 14th and he said he would get the stuff by the 16th and install it on the 16th or 17th. He calls up and sets up install for 19th afternoon.

Nov 19th - first install date.
I stay home on the 19th
On the 19th he calls up and says the Vendor sent him the wrong unit and it would be until Thursday Nov 22nd or so to get the correct one. I waited, stuff happens. correct item received, install set for the 22nd, I take the day to stay home. On the 22nd he doesn't show up, and says something came up ( I dont quite remember what the excuse was ) and we set it for the 23rd.

Nov 23 - Third install date.
Nov 24 - Fourth Install date.
No contact on the 23rd, finally at 6:00 PM he calls up and says his son was in the ICU and he forgot his phone in the car, lots of apologies etc. Appointment setup for the 24th, still at ICU, another day wasted. On 24th evening he calls up and says, he cant make it, hes really sorry and he wants to do it on Monday morning at 10:00

Nov 26 - Fifth Install date.
I call up Monday morning at 10:00 and I can tell he is just getting out of bed. He makes up a story of how hes doing a job in Brampton where there was a gas leak but hes definitely going to come by later to do the job. At 3:00 he says hes just getting done finishing it up and hes leaving, will be here in about an hour. I check google maps and with the traffic it is about 45 mins from the farthest end of Brampton to Mississauga. I wait until 4:30 or so and call again, still stuck in traffic, will be anther hour or so. call at 5:30, still stuck in traffic, but he promises he will start the work at my home. No Show that day.

Dec 3rd - Lost count of install dates/ reasons for not being able to come.
No show all day and at 6:30 I call him and he says hes just getting into Mississauga and that hes tired, how about we do it tomorrow. I say, lets start it up and do whatever you can do today and you can finish up the next day. He says he will have to shut off the heat etc, I say I will deal with it, he can do whatever he wants, but he needs to start. Finally he says hes too tired and says he will come Tuesday morning at 10:00

Dec 4th - Lost count of install dates/ reasons for not being able to come + 1.
He calls up around 10 and says he just discovered the heater does not come with the vent. He is on his way to Concord, ON to get the vent and that is the only place that has it. its backordered everywhere else. 12:30 still on the way to Concord, ON. 2:30, supplier in Concord says no vent ( according to him). He says hes coming back and will be here by 5:00 and start the install or drop off the heater unit. calls at 6:30 and hes still trying to get to drop it off. call at 08:30 and still trying to come down. No show as expected for the day.

Dec 5th - Lost count of install dates/ reasons for not being able to come + 2.
text message at 8:00 AM requesting me to call him. I call him and hes got bad news. someone died in London and he is really distraught. He wants to go to London so wont be able to do it, but is going to drop the heater off at my place before he leaves as he is going to Toronto anyway ( opposite direction to London ). I call around 10:00 and hes already on his way to London and will send my money back when he pulls over.
Call at 12:00 - Still on his way, just reached Woodstock ? Cant pull over, will send funds when he reaches.
Call at 2:00 - Reaches his house but doesnt have a computer to send funds. I ask him to send from his phone, but he can't as the phone has a different account.
Call at 5:00 - He claims he has sent cash by interac about an hour ago. this is a lie as I have auto deposit and it comes to my account immediately, which I let him know. Then he makes up a story about maybe he got the password wrong, and that he is going to check his account. i again remind him that I do not need a password as I have auto deposit. he said he will check and call back.

I googled his phone # and he has a history of doing this, which unfortunately I did not know earlier. He is still actively advertising on Kijiji.
At this point, I don't think I'll ever see that heater or him or the money again. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do about this. File an online fraud complaint ? RCMP ? Small claims court ? Ontario HVAC Licensing ? OPP ?
I have all the conversations recorded with all his lies and deceit. He basically lies through his teeth and has no problem making up stories on the fly. According to BBB, hes been doing this for a while now and cheated lots of folks already.
8 replies
Dec 10, 2005
350 posts
68 upvotes
Take his number and history of call to the Police Station. I'm pretty sure they will help you. This is a slam and shut case.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18660 posts
17686 upvotes
Toronto
vortex240 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 1:08 am
Take his number and history of call to the Police Station. I'm pretty sure they will help you. This is a slam and shut case.
Nope -they'll say it's a 'civil' matter and advise you to go through the small claims court process. Many people don't have time and patience for this step so scammers continue on with this ruse over and over.

Take it as a $1000 life lesson
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2464 posts
1211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd say..Name and shame! Bring him out in public. Go to all Media outlets and give your story. Or maybe even post on here his number and we would love to give him some prank calls or maybe someone can trace his address from his carrier?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Sep 9, 2015
95 posts
62 upvotes
North York, ON
lamboman wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 2:51 pm
I'd say..Name and shame! Bring him out in public. Go to all Media outlets and give your story. Or maybe even post on here his number and we would love to give him some prank calls or maybe someone can trace his address from his carrier?
+1
Nov 14, 2018
6 posts
The main thing here is to NEVER GIVE DEPOSITS!!! I don't know how people get lured into giving deposits. Get with the times, there's something called a "contract".
Contract is made, work is done, contractor is paid.
If they insist on deposits, then move on to another company. Some times you have to decide between cost and headache.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2028 posts
40 upvotes
vortex240 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 1:08 am
The police will never deal with these cases. They only deal with speeding tickets.

But on a serious note, they almost always tell you to go through small claims court. Nothing they can really do TBH.
May 14, 2019
6 posts
2 upvotes
The invoice you got does from him does it have incorporation number or his company name or his license number with TSSA.
TSSA might help you if you have his license number somewhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1168 posts
680 upvotes
Etobicoke
It was Kijiji....you rally think he has a TSSA number. Lesson 1 Be very wary about hiring someone from Kijiji.