• Apr 3rd, 2018 7:58 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
168 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton

Hybrid Seeds availability

Hi all

This spring, I was planning to grow some fruits and vegetables in my backyard. Trying for the first time. Can anyone suggest me where I can get hybrid seeds. I checked Canadian Tire, Walmart and Superstore but are not available.

Is there any specific location to buy . please advise

thank you all

Wishing you a happy spring ahead( in advance)
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1361 posts
207 upvotes
Grimsby
Click Canadian Garden Exchange.

This is part of a huge gardening site with many forums for various plants, regions etc. The link is to the Canadian garden exchange forum and if you ask for Hybrids be sure to state you are new to gardening, they can be very generous if they feel you are not just a scrounger :).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8153 upvotes
Ottawa
Almost all seeds are hybrid today, plant seeds from cross pollination or genetic engineering. What is it you are looking for? What crop?

[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 3rd, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: your link contained a non-RFD affiliate tag, you can edit your post with a clean link
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 28, 2012
10483 posts
2603 upvotes
Saskatoon
Seeds that are marked heirloom can be saved year after year and will produce the same plant as the parent. You cannot do this with hybrid seeds because the end result will vary a lot. There are plenty of hybrid seeds available at the big box stores, as an example, a tomato variety called Big Beef is a hybrid. There are advantages and disadvantages to both heirloom and hybrid so don't write off one or the other.

Are you thinking of non-gmo or certified organic seeds? Those are usually labeled as such. If you are just starting out, check out which vegetables and fruits will grow in your zone and garden conditions. Some vegetables attract more than their share of pests and disease and can be frustrating for a new gardener. Don't try growing fruit from seeds, it would take a long time to produce fruit and most likely will not result in the same variety. List what you want to grow and you'll get feedback here.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8153 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: Almost all seeds are hybrid today, plant seeds from cross pollination or genetic engineering. What is it you are looking for? What crop?

[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 3rd, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: your link contained a non-RFD affiliate tag, you can edit your post with a clean link
What are "affiliated links? I inked to a hybrid seed source which happens to be Amazon. Cannot do that? Are links like the ones to Home Depot, Rona, Lowes or any other store that people post all going to be deleted now?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 28, 2012
10483 posts
2603 upvotes
Saskatoon
Pete_Coach wrote: What are "affiliated links? I inked to a hybrid seed source which happens to be Amazon. Cannot do that? Are links like the ones to Home Depot, Rona, Lowes or any other store that people post all going to be deleted now?
You might have been browsing on another site and copied their Amazon link...it happens all the time. RFD inserts its own affiliate link when posting Amazon deals.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8153 upvotes
Ottawa
Mars2012 wrote: You might have been browsing on another site and copied their Amazon link...it happens all the time. RFD inserts its own affiliate link when posting Amazon deals.
No, I googled hybrid seeds and up cam Amazon
Oct 17, 2013
157 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
Try William Dam Seeds It's a wonderful seed company from Hamilton. They sell hybrid and heritage seeds, vegetables, flowers, herbs, you name it!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3392 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
And don't worry about GMO seeds -- none are available to home gardeners. But seed companies are asked that so much, some actually state that on their seed packages and websites.