Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
hydraSense

Hydrasense Nasal Care - $5 off

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2009 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2003
845 posts
47 upvotes

[hydraSense] Hydrasense Nasal Care - $5 off

More offers from hydraSense
Coupon is available here and you should be able to use it at any store:

http://hydrasensetv.com/en/

Personally I like the product (just picked it up myself) because it's a lot more effective than those little spray bottles and is strictly saline. If you look at most of the other bottles in the store that say saline, they have "moisturizers" like benzalkonium chloride, which has actually been shown to cause Rhinitis medicamentosa (aka rebound congestion) with prolonged use.

Might not be much of a deal for most of you but for people like me with chronic sinusitis this stuff brings considerable relief!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1589 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto
emjay wrote: Coupon is available here and you should be able to use it at any store:

http://hydrasensetv.com/en/

Personally I like the product (just picked it up myself) because it's a lot more effective than those little spray bottles and is strictly saline. If you look at most of the other bottles in the store that say saline, they have "moisturizers" like benzalkonium hydrochloride, which has actually been shown to cause Rhinitis medicamentosa (aka rebound congestion) with prolonged use.

Might not be much of a deal for most of you but for people like me with chronic sinusitis this stuff brings considerable relief!
Great find. This product isn't cheap but it works well for me. Thanks!
Jun 14, 2006
689 posts
152 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks a lot OP...hubby just started using this and finds it quite effective!
Jul 15, 2006
26 posts
1 upvote
Not sure what the ingredients are, but if you make your own solution out of salt and water and then snort that through your sinuses, you can get the same relief for free. I know it sounds ridiculous but it works and costs nothing. ;)
Nov 8, 2006
127 posts
7 upvotes
wheelndeal is right. That is exactly what the allergist told me to do
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
The hydrasense was all 30% off lastweek at Shoppers.

I don't need it too much right now- but the baby ones come in small pocket doses you use once and you get 20 to a box.

They are great for travelling or just taking with you compared to the 100?ml bottle.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
1268 posts
456 upvotes
Calgary
I have not tried the Hydrasense, but I have tried a number of other saline mixtures.

Currently I use a home solution where I can tailor the salt content - I like a solution that is less salty. I use sea salt and distilled water

Easy to make and pennies per liter.

Here is a typical recipe - http://www.fpnotebook.com/ENT/Pharm/NslSln.htm

The saline solution along with the purchase of a Sharp air purifier has worked wonders for the entire family. I am in Calgary where the air is extremely dry and nasal congestion was pretty much the status quo in our family.
Calgary, AB
Jan 6, 2003
845 posts
47 upvotes
Yes, making a home solution is good too, but home delivery systems aren't really as effective. Clinical trials have shown that more pressurized solutions such as this (much better than a spray bottle) are a lot more effective at breaking up the so-called "biofilm." And as for using a less salty solution, it's actually been shown that it's most effective when it's actually saltier than isotonic (and therefore saltier than even the Hydrasense!)

Hydrasense is also sourced from seawater (although it's desalinated to make it isotonic) so it has a lot of different minerals in it as well. I really don't know if this makes any difference though, but I can definitely speak to the effectiveness of its pressure system.

Also, like I mentioned before, most nasal sprays that say saline have other ingredients, and I think this is largely because it's very easy for the traditional spray bottle to become contaminated. The Hydrasense bottle seems to be able to keep the contents sterile and I believe this is why they don't need to put in different ingredients that will just end up aggravating congestion.

But hey, if anybody's got any good ideas for rigging up something that's got a decent pressurized stream I'd definitely like to hear it. This stuff is admittedly a bit pricey.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1589 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto
emjay wrote: Yes, making a home solution is good too, but home delivery systems aren't really as effective. Clinical trials have shown that more pressurized solutions such as this (much better than a spray bottle) are a lot more effective at breaking up the so-called "biofilm." And as for using a less salty solution, it's actually been shown that it's most effective when it's actually saltier than isotonic (and therefore saltier than even the Hydrasense!)

Hydrasense is also sourced from seawater (although it's desalinated to make it isotonic) so it has a lot of different minerals in it as well. I really don't know if this makes any difference though, but I can definitely speak to the effectiveness of its pressure system.

Also, like I mentioned before, most nasal sprays that say saline have other ingredients, and I think this is largely because it's very easy for the traditional spray bottle to become contaminated. The Hydrasense bottle seems to be able to keep the contents sterile and I believe this is why they don't need to put in different ingredients that will just end up aggravating congestion.

But hey, if anybody's got any good ideas for rigging up something that's got a decent pressurized stream I'd definitely like to hear it. This stuff is admittedly a bit pricey.
WM (at least in Toronto for sure) has this on sale for $10.98. I believe the regular price there is $11.98 as opposed to the $14.98 or so at SD.
Jan 30, 2008
98 posts
38 upvotes
I'm relatively new to this but have seen really good results using a homemade solution recommended by my ENT doctor. I use a nasal syringe that I bought from London Drugs and have had no problem with it I think in terms of pressure. The saline solution I make is a hypertonic mix around 18% by weight (using coarse salt - stay away from table/iodized salt), a pinch of sodium bicarbonate, and distilled water.

I might give this OTC solution a shot, but the problem is I go through lots of saline each day lol so I'm not sure if it would be that economical to use these regularly. I like the idea of the 1-way valve to keep the solution sterile though, so it could be good for travelling etc when you don't want to make your own solutions on the road
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
emjay wrote: Yes, making a home solution is good too, but home delivery systems aren't really as effective. Clinical trials have shown that more pressurized solutions such as this (much better than a spray bottle) are a lot more effective at breaking up the so-called "biofilm." And as for using a less salty solution, it's actually been shown that it's most effective when it's actually saltier than isotonic (and therefore saltier than even the Hydrasense!)

Would jamming a Waterpik up your nose be dangerous?

Anyway...back on topic...you just sluice this stuff around each nostril and let it drain into the sink from the same nostril right?
Nov 1, 2007
351 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
emjay, clearly you invested some time to research the subj.

I am not familiar with the contraption. I merely use squirt bottle.
[IMG]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zAL ... 907217.jpg[/IMG]
2 cups Warm water and 1tsp salt (I use iodized). sometimes I add pinch of
baking soda.
I hear neti pots (those kettle like thingies) work well too
Feb 14, 2005
872 posts
168 upvotes
what sprays or devices do u use to get home made saline solution into ur nasal passage?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
leonkaz wrote: I hear neti pots (those kettle like thingies) work well too
I was going to suggest that people try a neti pot. It really clears out your nasal passages like nothing I ever tried before.
Nov 30, 2007
821 posts
169 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a deviated septum when I was younger and used to use a thick "syringe", just like what you'd expect to see, but about 3x as thick. I'd make a mixture and then do a rinse that way. not fun, but it worked.

I'd been gone from doing it for eons, searching for an honest to goodess neti pot, and finally found one - of course in the packaging they say "This is good, but not as good as our squeeze-bottle system" (still haven't gotten over that)

ANYWAY. The neti pot works, the solution they sell is actually quite nice, far better than what I make on my own (haven't gotten it down pat, too much baking soda methinks - and it doesn't clean as well)

This works, but it's only good for one-off situations. It's too expensive for regular use. If you have allergies and have to go somewhere dry, however, this stuff is amazing.

If anyone wants to really clean their nose, I'd seriously suggest looking at a waterpik type device, that's the Mercedes of nasal irrigation!
Jan 19, 2006
581 posts
463 upvotes
BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

I just mix fresh solution for every use (as opposed to mixing a batch of the stuff).

I use 750ml luke warmed filtered water, 1 tsp non-iodized sea salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate), all mixed in a clean 750ml plastic bottled water bottle with a sports snap top. That snap top will just seal off when inserted into the nostril. Tip your head forward and gently squeeze half the bottle through one nostril, then finish it off through the other. Don't squeeze too hard!

Let the saline gently drain out and gently blow it out as well. The main thing is to keep your head tilted forward so you don't have that stuff settling way back in your sinus.

You can play with increasing the amount of salt you use to head for hypertonic. The recipe I gave is a good balance for my use.

I imagine this is a good and convenient product to use, but I really think that this may be a much more cost effective with a similar result.
Feb 14, 2005
872 posts
168 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: I was going to suggest that people try a neti pot. It really clears out your nasal passages like nothing I ever tried before.
where do u buy that?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2003
1023 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HotDealsRock wrote: where do u buy that?
You can find it in most pharmacies, right beside the Hydrasense. I've seen them at SDM and Pharma Plus.
To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world, the most difficult and the most intellectual.
--Oscar Wilde
Jul 16, 2003
301 posts
17 upvotes
I tried HydraSense for the last 7 days, and it's just amazing. What an improvement!

I know I could make my own solution, but I like the fact that this solution is always salty perfect, the jet system is very effective and it's easy to use.

I started with the MEDIUM strenght jet, and I will try the FULL jet with the coupon now.

Thanks OP!