• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 8:29 am
Tags:
Mar 18, 2018
24 posts
17 upvotes
In spite of all the noise, it's performance has not been worse than the broader Canadian utilities index (e.g. XUT) - owning it at $20.50 since the IPO, I'd fully expect it might go lower if Doug Ford gets a majority (?) but the dividend looks bullet-proof. Buying the sector today would probably go XUT, but no panic.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3850 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
I'm down 16% on H

Worst performing stock in my portfolio
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1303 posts
480 upvotes
Mississauga
Same here, one of my worst performers and simply dead money. Dumped it a few months back. It's anemic dividend growth is a sign it going nowhere fast.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4316 posts
616 upvotes
Montreal
CEO's severance package is a joke so I would stick to the likes of FTS, EMA or AQN instead.

As a high yield play, BIP.UN is my top holding in registered accounts because how Flatt and his team have perfected the buy low sell high principle.
Aug 20, 2016
153 posts
114 upvotes
looks interesting at 19.73
lots of noise the company has not changed materially.
relatively same market cap Emera CEO makes 5 million a year.
worst case scenario gets a pop after the election whatever the outcome.
if ford win he will meet with mayo schmidt and announce he is doing a good job.
ford gets lots of bay street dollars so the rest of the company will be sold off.
Wynne wins nothing happens. Horvath says she wants to buy it back so good for investors.
hydro one is not the reason for high electricity bills.
Feb 4, 2017
434 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
I would never buy any company that is partly owned by the government. The government acts on behalf of the public's interest and not the shareholders of hydro one. If you want to own a utility, consider AQN or FTS.
Aug 16, 2015
275 posts
38 upvotes
Im in ZUT. Monthly pay is so much better.

whatever exposure I get to this turd through ZUT is plenty.
Aug 16, 2015
275 posts
38 upvotes
It also looks like they overpaid for avista and bought at the top..
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2318 posts
776 upvotes
kilburn305 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 10:03 pm
Im in ZUT. Monthly pay is so much better.

whatever exposure I get to this turd through ZUT is plenty.
Pretty high management fee, considering it holds "16" companies - and of which TA & RNW are related, as are ATCO and CU. Two Brookfield companies, too.
Aug 16, 2015
275 posts
38 upvotes
daverobev wrote:
May 13th, 2018 2:48 pm
Pretty high management fee, considering it holds "16" companies - and of which TA & RNW are related, as are ATCO and CU. Two Brookfield companies, too.
Im googling management fees. I didn't even look at it.
So it costs me about 5 dollar per year in management fees for every 1000 I invest? I think I will live....

Im more worried that I am a little exposed to POS companies like hydro one and just energy.
Oct 25, 2009
109 posts
27 upvotes
It's interesting when there was an IPO it was over subscribed and everyone loved it... Now everyone hates it but nothing changed other than policital football match... I still think it's a great pick up at these levels for this type of quality stock
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5085 posts
1691 upvotes
Kingston, ON
dpwr wrote:
May 14th, 2018 6:04 pm
It's interesting when there was an IPO it was over subscribed and everyone loved it... Now everyone hates it but nothing changed other than policital football match... I still think it's a great pick up at these levels for this type of quality stock
In addition to it being a political football right now, to some degree all dividend/utility stocks have gotten whammied in the last year and a bit since interest rates started to rise. 3-4% yield was one thing in a low rate environment, but less attractive as rates rose. So now the share price has pared back to where H yield is 4.5%, which is what the market thinks the risk premium should be.

Income units like BPF.UN, AW.UN, REI.UN, PZA have similarly been hammered as rates have risen in order to keep yield in the ~6-7% range.
Sep 23, 2010
234 posts
38 upvotes
TORONTO
Any idea how a buyback would work? As a long-term hold, I'd buy now or soon except that I'd hate for the government to buy 5 or 10%, crush the profitability with regulation or whatever other means at their disposal, and then buy the rest back at a 10% premium to $11 or $12.
Oct 21, 2014
901 posts
697 upvotes
Burlington, ON
RCGA wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 5:23 pm
I'm down 16% on H

Worst performing stock in my portfolio
Buy Cardinal Health then, Hydro one won't be the worst performer in your port for long :P

I would stay out of this one, there are other names in the space with no political risk which are beaten down and represent good value.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1799 posts
349 upvotes
Markham
Very happy with my stake in H. They're growing the rate base as promised. Growing the earnings and dividends in line, and making acquisitions to drive future earnings. 5% annual dividend growth is pretty good for a regulated utility.

RFD has gone from euphoria to despair on this stock so maybe its even bottomed here. Election is just around the corner, and i could see a classic reversal once its done, regardless of the outcome. In the mean time this is definitely on my short list of what to buy.