Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Hydro Ottawa - Wifi Thermostat Rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2015 4:37 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 21, 2003
980 posts
184 upvotes

Hydro Ottawa - Wifi Thermostat Rebate

Deal Link:
Expiry:
April 30, 2015
Hydro Ottawa is running a new promotion for a rebate of $100 or $150 on two wifi enabled thermostats.

RTH9580WF / TH9320WF (Pro Install) - $150 Rebate
RTH8580WF / TH8320WF (Pro Install) - $100 Rebate

My letter has a promo code which I assume is generic but I am not certain. My promo code ends in the #4, if anyone wants to PM me to confirm feel free.

These are two new thermostats for the program where they adjust your air conditioner during periods of high demand.

Edit: Code is generic as confirmed by eugene_2005, it is: HODM1114
43 replies
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
I am pretty sure the code is generic. Mine is HODXXX14
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
Any comments on these? Easy to install?

Too bad there is no rebate on the nest.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
IIRC, Hydro Ottawa was offering these thermostats for free plus installation not too long ago!
I don't see how this is a hot deal, considering it benefits Hydro Ottawa to be able to "control" your temp settings?
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
I am thinking about pulling a trigger on this one. So what would be the best option to buy?
PM Homedepot with FutureShop?
229 - 10% = 206 + 13% = 232.90 - 150 = 82.9 CAD
Any comments?
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
WTF! Hydro can control the thermostat at your house!!

When you register your thermostat in Smart Thermostat Rebates, you will help manage electricity use during critical peak times.

A few times a summer, during times of peak electricity demand, your thermostat may be signaled to pause and release your central air conditioner in intervals of 18 minutes off and 12 minutes on, for not more than four hours.Your furnace fan will continue to run so you likely won’t notice a difference in temperature.
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: IIRC, Hydro Ottawa was offering these thermostats for free plus installation not too long ago!
I don't see how this is a hot deal, considering it benefits Hydro Ottawa to be able to "control" your temp settings?
As far as I remember they were offering a lower end model without color display + once you get rebate you can unregister from the program and the thermostat is yours.
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
>gophia

No one really controls your thermostat. These so called "peak times" happen 2-3 times per season and last 1-2 hours max when you need to raise your temp 2-3 degrees. Taking into account that peak times happen usually during the day when most of us at work anyways with thermostat temps set high anyways most likely you won't notice anything.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2797 posts
1133 upvotes
gophia wrote: WTF! Hydro can control the thermostat at your house!!

When you register your thermostat in Smart Thermostat Rebates, you will help manage electricity use during critical peak times.

A few times a summer, during times of peak electricity demand, your thermostat may be signaled to pause and release your central air conditioner in intervals of 18 minutes off and 12 minutes on, for not more than four hours.Your furnace fan will continue to run so you likely won’t notice a difference in temperature.
You will not notice the difference. I have it installed. I always set the fan on circulation mode so that the house temperature are "almost" the same for the entire house.
IM, I like this thermostat that have the "air circulation" function.
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
I've never used these wifi theromstats, but who will tell you thermostat "...your thermostat may be signaled to pause and release your central air conditioner ..." if it's not the home owner?
eugene_2005 wrote: >gophia
No one really controls your thermostat. These so called "peak times" happen 2-3 times per season and last 1-2 hours max when you need to raise your temp 2-3 degrees. Taking into account that peak times happen usually during the day when most of us at work anyways with thermostat temps set high anyways most likely you won't notice anything.
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: ...considering it benefits Hydro Ottawa to be able to "control" your temp settings?
As funny as it may sound it actually benefits all of us. If they won't be able to "survive" those "peak times" they would need to build new power generation systems. Try to guess where they will reach for money.
Sep 21, 2014
48 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
gophia wrote: I've never used these wifi theromstats, but who will tell you thermostat "...your thermostat may be signaled to pause and release your central air conditioner ..." if it's not the home owner?
Are you trolling? Hydro Ottawa will.
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
We'll send you more from Quebec in exchange for your cheaper price wine ;)
eugene_2005 wrote: As funny as it may sound it actually benefits all of us. If they won't be able to "survive" those "peak times" they would need to build new power generation systems. Try to guess where they will reach for money.
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
I'm not trolling just surprise people are willing to let Hydro control their home environment. Imagine you like you house at 20 degrees and Hydro says no you have to set it at 25 degrees or during the winter you want it at 23 and they set it at 18!
DirkDiggler69 wrote: Are you trolling? Hydro Ottawa will.
btw how did you join RFD in 1970????
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
eugene_2005 wrote: As funny as it may sound it actually benefits all of us. If they won't be able to "survive" those "peak times" they would need to build new power generation systems. Try to guess where they will reach for money.
Keep drinking the cool-aid.
Prices have gone up pretty much every year and the only thing offsetting the cost (keeping people content); is the rebate from the gov!
Jan 29, 2013
86 posts
11 upvotes
I received the same promotion in the mail.

This seems to be a sneaky way in getting people enrolled in the PeakSaver Plus program. What are peoples thoughts on that?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Briightside wrote: I received the same promotion in the mail.

This seems to be a sneaky way in getting people enrolled in the PeakSaver Plus program. What are peoples thoughts on that?
Enough to not want to sign up!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Keep drinking the cool-aid.
Prices have gone up pretty much every year and the only thing offsetting the cost (keeping people content); is the rebate from the gov!
Nevermind the fact that our nuke plants aren't even running at full capacity. So no, they wouldn't have to build new systems, just start up ones that aren't operational right now.
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Prices have gone up pretty much every year and the only thing offsetting the cost (keeping people content); is the rebate from the gov!
They will go up even more... there is such thing as reality. If they cannot supply enough energy during peak hours one of two things will happen:
1. No energy
2. Build a new power plant
make your peek...
Aug 13, 2006
893 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
TripleHelix wrote: ...they wouldn't have to build new systems, just start up ones that aren't operational right now.
The thing is once you started it up you cannot easily shut it done. But reality is you don't need that much energy most of the time. You need to run it at full capacity only during peek times. Rest of the time it will be wasting money and resources.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)