Locked: Hydro Power Saver

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2012 5:53 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2006
27 posts

Hydro Power Saver

I received a call this weekend introducing this product costing about C$250/- and free to try out for 2 months. According to the seller you can save atleast 30% of your electric bill by simply plugging the device into any of our sockets at home.

Has anyone heard about this kind of device or is it a scam. I have tried an internet search but have not come up with anything. This is their website hydropowersaver.com, is it worth getting into this?
Share:
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
6138 posts
907 upvotes
Sounds like it does the work of a line conditioner. However I've never heard of a line conditioner that saves that much power ~30%.

I've heard of line conditioners curbing start up spikes thus reducing huge current draws. But that doesn't save much.

If you buy this, tell us. I have this magic rock that keeps away tigers. Since you're an RFDer I'll give it to you for $100 it's usually priceless to me.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2006
27 posts
tebore wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:05 pm
I have this magic rock that keeps away tigers. Since you're an RFDer I'll give it to you for $100 it's usually priceless to me.
Where did you get that rock from? Bet you must be an explorer, I was looking for something similar but for lions if you get a hand on that I will pay 500$ you have to prove it though by taking the magic rock and approaching the lion :D
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
medhora wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 2:52 pm
I received a call this weekend introducing this product costing about C$250/- and free to try out for 2 months. According to the seller you can save atleast 30% of your electric bill by simply plugging the device into any of our sockets at home....?
Scam.
It's a power factor correction device:
http://hydropowersaver.com/test&spec.htm

Real costs savings in an average house = about 9 cents per month.

The math:
http://powerelectronics.com/power_manag ... 5PET23.pdf
[OP]
Nov 28, 2006
27 posts
l69norm wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:22 pm
Scam.
It's a power factor correction device:
http://hydropowersaver.com/test&spec.htm

Real costs savings in an average house = about 9 cents per month.

The math:
http://powerelectronics.com/power_manag ... 5PET23.pdf
Thank you for your reply if its only 9c per month how can they claim 30%! and how can they back up the product with 2 months money back if not satisfied? On the other hand yes sounds too good to be true or else these people would be going door to door and selling these products if it was true! :mad: will save me 30%. I would put that in my car as well :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3295 posts
16 upvotes
ah the power of internet :o
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
medhora wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 3:56 pm
Thank you for your reply if its only 9c per month how can they claim 30%! and how can they back up the product with 2 months money back if not satisfied? On the other hand yes sounds too good to be true or else these people would be going door to door and selling these products if it was true! :mad: will save me 30%. I would put that in my car as well :lol:
The ad says:
"...the PowerSaver will help to reduce up to 30% of your monthly electricity bill" and "...results may vary...."

In a factory/ industrial setting where you have a lot of electric motors, you are charged an extra penalty by the utility for having for poor power factor. A power factor correction device would save you money under those conditions.
Jan 27, 2008
759 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on the phone with them right now!

First of all, heavy accent, difficult to understand, and exacerbated by the phone connection cutting in and out (VOIP system under high strain?)

You can't expect to call me and expect me to shell out $100+ in 5 minutes on the phone, with a company I've never heard of!

I was transferred to the associate's manager, who told me the same. I basically said the above, and asked him to send me brochures to my home address. He then gave me a number and a website (hydroenergysaver.com) and told me to call back if interested. Ha.

PASS.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
If this really worked, you wouldn't be hearing about it from some guy calling you up on the phone to try and sell it to you: the government and hydro companies would be offering discounts to get you to buy it.

It sounds like that $200 device they were peddling at Canadian Tire where, if you wrapped its wire around your incoming water pipe, it would soften your hard water by blasting the minerals with magnetic pulses or something like that. Would it really be hidden away in Canadian Tire if it was an alternative to large, bulky, expensive water softeners with ongoing consumable costs?
Feb 17, 2004
234 posts
12 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Jun 9th, 2008 5:32 pm
The ad says:
"...the PowerSaver will help to reduce up to 30% of your monthly electricity bill" and "...results may vary...."

In a factory/ industrial setting where you have a lot of electric motors, you are charged an extra penalty by the utility for having for poor power factor. A power factor correction device would save you money under those conditions.
Yes, I agree- industrial power metering uses wattmeters and varmeters to measure both in phase power (watts) and out of phase power (reactive or capacitive vars) to determine the power factor and penalize for a poor power factor in addition to charging for watts. Household metering only measures watts or in phase power - if this device claims to save you money by correcting your power factor in a residential situation - I say it's bogus.
Feb 17, 2004
234 posts
12 upvotes
Q8. What is the construction and principal of power saver?

The power saver is sealed in vacuum unit. Disassembling the unit may cause damage to the power saver itself. The saving principal will not be described here for reason of business secrecy how ever the product consists of a highly effective with especially designed power control chip, making it possible to enhance RF and reduce power waste more efficiently.

"For the reason of business secrecy" the "saving principal" is a capacitor - I wonder if the broken english is part of their secret business plan too. Once again - don't waste your money.
Nov 30, 2005
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
So frustrated.... They just called me. They claimed they got my name and address from the Canadian Government???

I've been on the national do-not-call list since day one.

I reported them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9226 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
Next time they call you tell them you will just cut back on your pwr usage and save that way. No need to spend a 100 to save $.
Aug 13, 2008
368 posts
4 upvotes
an informative scam alert post IMO
Oct 27, 2004
170 posts
28 upvotes
If you are in Toronto, Toronto Hydro is on TimeOfUse now with smart meter. Weekend and off-peak weekday reduced your rate from 93 cents to 44cents. Much better saving if you can shift some of your heavy duty electricity consumption to off-peak.

http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/elect ... Rates.aspx
× < >