Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
582 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Hyundai Engine Malfunction Light

Need some technical advice from RFD's mechanics. It's for a 2010 Sonata 4 cylinders at 122,000 kms (75,800 miles).

Engine Malfunction Light came on solid. Using ODBII reader, my mechanic friend read the codes to be

P0106 Current, Pending, Permanent - Faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
P0304 Pending - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

He replaced MAP sensor and Coil pack. But the Engine Light remains on solid. Now its only giving code P0106 which kind of points back to MAP sensor.

Spark plugs has never been replaced so I've been suggesting to replace it anyway proactively.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions what else may be causing the Engine Light?
2. When do Spark Plugs typically get replaced?
31 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2539 posts
925 upvotes
GTA
The plugs should be changed by the manual, but even if they're platinum's (which usually get changed around 160k) and they haven't been yet, it wouldn't hurt to do it.

How does the car behave with the P0106 code being thrown now?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2952 posts
698 upvotes
Edmonton
Your mechanic friend is one of those people who just dunp part with no diagnosis. What a fail.

You can check a map sensor but putting it into a vacuum.

Perfect vacuum wouls be 14.7 psi (g) at sealevel. That would have the map sensor at full voltage or perfect 0 volts (depends on the sensor and circuit)
Slowly adding or lowering the pressure should slowly lower or higher the voltage.

For all you know the old map sensor was perfectly fine. Get it checked out right.

Edit: if map is good. Check the map sensor wires at ecu and then work from there
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1660 upvotes
Change the plugs and reset the ECU/ECM.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32362 posts
6757 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree with the poster above in that your mechanic just pulls parts and does not know why. He needs to learn diagnostics.
"Common Misdiagnoses

Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real cause is an Intake Manifold vacuum leak
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real cause is a stuck-open EGR Valve
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real problem is a defective Idle Air Control Motor, which causes a very low engine idle"

http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0106
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Your friend, yea? He posting on RFD too? Did he tell you it is the front left tire? Just change it. :)

Seriously, Could be a defective MAP sensor from manufacturer. Bring it back, and ask for new one.

exhaust wrote:
May 31st, 2015 4:08 pm
Need some technical advice from RFD's mechanics. It's for a 2010 Sonata 4 cylinders at 122,000 kms (75,800 miles).

Engine Malfunction Light came on solid. Using ODBII reader, my mechanic friend read the codes to be

P0106 Current, Pending, Permanent - Faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
P0304 Pending - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

He replaced MAP sensor and Coil pack. But the Engine Light remains on solid. Now its only giving code P0106 which kind of points back to MAP sensor.

Spark plugs has never been replaced so I've been suggesting to replace it anyway proactively.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions what else may be causing the Engine Light?
2. When do Spark Plugs typically get replaced?
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
582 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
eldiablo wrote:
May 31st, 2015 6:16 pm
Change the plugs and reset the ECU/ECM.
OK thanks for the tip we'll look into that.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2952 posts
698 upvotes
Edmonton
exhaust wrote:
May 31st, 2015 7:56 pm
OK thanks for the tip we'll look into that.
are you guys for real?
SERIOUSLY?
There is me, and another poster pete_coach telling you, trying to help you.
The way the DTC works is if the electricity it reads back is out of the range its supposed to be in, the MIL is on and DTC is thrown. I believe once it reads a fail of 100 times within a period of time, then the MIL is on and throws the code. Had it been right, then it would reset fairly quickly even without your own recet ecu method. and the plugs have nothing to do with the voltage reading from the map sensor. If the very odd and very lucky chance that changing plugs fixes it, then you have a ground problem due to corrosion on that wire/intermittent short/ground on that wire and you moved the wire to get it fixed.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
582 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tmkf_patryk wrote:
May 31st, 2015 8:45 pm
are you guys for real?
SERIOUSLY?
There is me, and another poster pete_coach telling you, trying to help you.
The way the DTC works is if the electricity it reads back is out of the range its supposed to be in, the MIL is on and DTC is thrown. I believe once it reads a fail of 100 times within a period of time, then the MIL is on and throws the code. Had it been right, then it would reset fairly quickly even without your own recet ecu method. and the plugs have nothing to do with the voltage reading from the map sensor. If the very odd and very lucky chance that changing plugs fixes it, then you have a ground problem due to corrosion on that wire/intermittent short/ground on that wire and you moved the wire to get it fixed.
Ok thanks for the detailed steps. Will go through those steps!
[OP]
Dec 15, 2008
582 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 31st, 2015 6:21 pm
I agree with the poster above in that your mechanic just pulls parts and does not know why. He needs to learn diagnostics.
"Common Misdiagnoses

Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real cause is an Intake Manifold vacuum leak
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real cause is a stuck-open EGR Valve
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor is replaced when the real problem is a defective Idle Air Control Motor, which causes a very low engine idle"

Thanks for the repairpal.com link Pete_Coach!
Jun 1, 2015
8 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 31st, 2015 6:21 pm
"Common Misdiagnoses

how does a vacuum leak, stuck open egr, low engine idle cause a barometric pressure sensor to read wrong?
They can affect the map sensor, but I cant see how it changes the baro sensor reading
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32362 posts
6757 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, an air leak of any type will cause the sensor to "feel" something outside of it's programmed parameters.
I did not make this up, check any P0106 fault tree and they will inform you what the possible causes of the CEL are. My point in the link is that there is a lot of mis-diagnosis and mechanics are replacing parts before they find the root cause. Many "techs" do not do proper diagnosis and even change the sensor when the sensor is just relaying information. Assuming the sensor is faulty is just laziness on the part of the mechanic.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Jun 1, 2015
8 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 9:50 am
Well, an air leak of any type will cause the sensor to "feel" something outside of it's programmed parameters.
so does the barometer checks for air leaks?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2341 posts
438 upvotes
Winnipeg
Not trying to highjack the thread but how was the life before this good computer and a heck lots of sensors and miles of wires are pushed into the modern cars ? Were people dealing with more car breakdowns or less?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1660 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 12:07 pm
Not trying to highjack the thread but how was the life before this good computer and a heck lots of sensors and miles of wires are pushed into the modern cars ? Were people dealing with more car breakdowns or less?

Who needs computers and all the wires when you have no pollution/emission laws and do not worry about the effects on the climate?