Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Hyundai] [ONT] Hyundai Ioniq SE Electric - $28,352 all-in after ONT rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 8:28 pm
Sep 8, 2014
504 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nissan Leaf has $3000 off MSRP on now, advertised on their outgoing older model.
VW won't ship any more e-Golf for another 6 months, but at $34K OTR, it's double the price of a Smart ED.

Smart at $19K OTR is the cheapest EV, and you can easily get $2K off MSRP, putting that at $17K OTR.
Ref:
smart-smart-ont-smart-electric-drive-19k-otr-2125701/

Tesla offers discounts on inventory cars, but since Model 3 is effectively sold out for next year of production, it will be a while till that happens.
Oct 7, 2008
782 posts
99 upvotes
If you're in Ontario, going to Quebec might be easier way to get an EV. You can get one in USA as long you can find some one willing to sell it to you, might have to drive quite a ways south though to find one.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29070 posts
994 upvotes
Fernando Po
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:52 pm
What are your thoughts on the Smart Electric Drive coupe? Positives and negatives?
53 miles range says it all.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Apr 12, 2007
226 posts
47 upvotes
BC
fatpiggy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:49 am
Since all EVs are in short supply, any chance of getting one from US and still apply for the rebate?
No US also have their own rebates though.
Sep 15, 2011
701 posts
249 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
brownbobcat wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:14 pm
Yes, it would be huge if that was the actual difference, but it's not - as was pointed out earlier. A compact size sedan like the Civic should easily get 100km/10L, which conservatively equates to annual gas cost of 25000/10 * $1.20/L = $3000, or a difference of $2500 annually. If you were to pick a more similarly sized car to the Leaf like the Versa, Rio or Fiesta, the difference would probably be around $2000 annually max.
To support this a bit: I have a 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo Fiesta. Over the 88000km I've put on it in the last 2.5 years I've averaged 5.3L/100KM. This includes winter driving, driving with kayaks (3 of them!) on the roof, driving with a roofbox... I see 4.8L/100KM when I'm driving normal trips at 115KM/H - pretty incredible milage. Normally on a tank I can go 850km before I have to start looking for a gas station.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
hoody123 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:08 pm
To support this a bit: I have a 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo Fiesta. Over the 88000km I've put on it in the last 2.5 years I've averaged 5.3L/100KM. This includes winter driving, driving with kayaks (3 of them!) on the roof, driving with a roofbox... I see 4.8L/100KM when I'm driving normal trips at 115KM/H - pretty incredible milage. Normally on a tank I can go 850km before I have to start looking for a gas station.
That's amazing mileage! I drive a Prius for Uber part time and put close to 3k miles per month. My mileage is around 4.5L/100km in fall and spring (less AC use), around 5.2L/100km in dead of summer and about 6.2L/100km in winter. I drive conservatively, don't mash the pedal that hard, but if I have room to go, I'll easily push 130km/hr + on highways. Always keep my eye on the odo to make sure I don't cross the 140km/hr mark. Consequences are severe if you get caught. I'm that jackass Prius driver people complain about lol.

Still, it's amazing to me that a regular gas car gets similar mileage as my Prius. Even though the Ford fiesta is a 3cylinder shoe box, that is still impressive as hell. Is it a manual or automatic?? Makes me think the newer ICE cars are going to push the envelope even higher in terms of fuel efficiency. In the end this competition with EVs and plug ins will only result in better tech, and win win for consumers.
Sep 8, 2014
504 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hoody123 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:08 pm
I see 4.8L/100KM when I'm driving normal trips at 115KM/H - pretty incredible milage
For a gas car, certainly.
Consider this.

An Ontario electric utility offers a 2c/kWh rate for overnight EV charging. With all fees, that's near 5c/kWh.
Ref my thread:
ontario-canada-overnight-2c-kwh-ev-char ... n-2122796/

A large EV sedan (Tesla as an example) averages ~23 kWh/100 km with high speed (no one passing you) left lane driving, and ~20 kWh/100 km at speed limit.
23 kWh * $0.05/kWh = $1.15 / 100 km.

So a massively large comfortable highway cruiser gets the equivalent of a gas car with 1L/100 km efficiency, 4.8x better than your "incredible" mileage.

Just listing this for comparison sake. Not to rub it in. Just to make people aware of where things are going. The penalty for owning a large vehicle goes away with EV's, especially Tesla with their excellent aero efficiency at high speed.

Note that 60% of all of the driving we do in our Tesla is on free supercharger routes, so it's not fair to compare, as we don't pay at all to charge for most trips. And my family is staying this weekend in a hotel that supplies free charging for guests, another perk of driving EV's.
Sep 15, 2011
701 posts
249 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:02 pm

That's amazing mileage! I drive a Prius for Uber part time and put close to 3k miles per month. My mileage is around 4.5L/100km in fall and spring (less AC use), around 5.2L/100km in dead of summer and about 6.2L/100km in winter. I drive conservatively, don't mash the pedal that hard, but if I have room to go, I'll easily push 130km/hr + on highways. Always keep my eye on the odo to make sure I don't cross the 140km/hr mark. Consequences are severe if you get caught. I'm that jackass Prius driver people complain about lol.

Still, it's amazing to me that a regular gas car gets similar mileage as my Prius. Even though the Ford fiesta is a 3cylinder shoe box, that is still impressive as hell. Is it a manual or automatic?? Makes me think the newer ICE cars are going to push the envelope even higher in terms of fuel efficiency. In the end this competition with EVs and plug ins will only result in better tech, and win win for consumers.
Admittedly, stop and go traffic is not a consideration where I drive, I never have to deal with traffic. It is manual - currently the 3 is only available in manual in North America.
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:07 pm
For a gas car, certainly.
Consider this.

An Ontario electric utility offers a 2c/kWh rate for overnight EV charging. With all fees, that's near 5c/kWh.
Ref my thread:
ontario-canada-overnight-2c-kwh-ev-char ... n-2122796/

A large EV sedan (Tesla as an example) averages ~23 kWh/100 km with high speed (no one passing you) left lane driving, and ~20 kWh/100 km at speed limit.
23 kWh * $0.05/kWh = $1.15 / 100 km.

So a massively large comfortable highway cruiser gets the equivalent of a gas car with 1L/100 km efficiency, 4.8x better than your "incredible" mileage.

Just listing this for comparison sake. Not to rub it in. Just to make people aware of where things are going. The penalty for owning a large vehicle goes away with EV's, especially Tesla with their excellent aero efficiency at high speed.

Note that 60% of all of the driving we do in our Tesla is on free supercharger routes, so it's not fair to compare, as we don't pay at all to charge for most trips. And my family is staying this weekend in a hotel that supplies free charging for guests, another perk of driving EV's.
Well, I'm not here to suggest that my car has anything on electric vehicles in the least (but the engine IS incredible and has won more awards than any other I'm aware of...), I was only offering up that ICE cars don't have to get the milage you were stating, for comparison purposes, you can do better. Not to mention that cost of ownership considerations change things substantially - particularly when range considerations enter into the equation. I heavily considered electric when I bought my car, but in the end, nothing could compare pricewise to where I ended up. Were my commute shorter, I'd probably have pushed hard to get the Smart.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
hoody123 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:27 pm
Admittedly, stop and go traffic is not a consideration where I drive, I never have to deal with traffic. It is manual - currently the 3 is only available in manual in North America.
yeah, that makes sense. I just looked over the 3 cylinder fiestas on fuelly and fuel economy is high but its only 6.7L/100. My prius in ideal conditions can get around 3.5L-4.0L/100km.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9050 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
some1not wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
It's only quicker due to it's smaller battery. They both will charge at the same rate let's say 6.6kwh on a L2 charger and if both had the same capacity battery both will be fully charged at about the same time.
I don't think that's fully correct. The Bolt comes with a 7.2kw charger while the Ioniq has like a 6.6kw like you stated.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4225 posts
2077 upvotes
Kitchener
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:27 pm
I don't think that's fully correct. The Bolt comes with a 7.2kw charger while the Ioniq has like a 6.6kw like you stated.
Forget about getting more than 5.8kW at L2 public chargers though on ANY EV rated for 6.6kW+ charging. The public units typically run at a lower voltage, 208V vs 240V at home. My Leaf charges at 6.6kW at home but never gets much more than 5.8kW at public chargers. The Bolt would be 5.8kW at a commercial L2 charger, but also can use L3 (which often cost money to use). Basically I charge around 52km per hour at home, but only about 45km per hour in public even if I'm using the EXACT same Sun Country unit I have at home.
Oct 23, 2013
122 posts
61 upvotes
I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected.

I didn't like the "spoiler" that goes right through the back window nor the styling. On top of that, the dealer was trying to sell it to me for $30k OTR after rebates, but with 0% financing (~$165 bw/84-month term). Lease rates are at 4%.

So I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf instead.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
Nyaxite wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:14 pm
I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected.

I didn't like the "spoiler" that goes right through the back window nor the styling. On top of that, the dealer was trying to sell it to me for $30k OTR after rebates, but with 0% financing (~$165 bw/84-month term). Lease rates are at 4%.

So I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf instead.
I sent you a PM regarding the 18 Leaf as it is off-topic.
Mar 10, 2008
913 posts
60 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:01 pm
I sent you a PM regarding the 18 Leaf as it is off-topic.
Well now I'm curious...