Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Hyundai] [ONT] Hyundai Ioniq SE Electric - $28,352 all-in after ONT rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 8:28 pm
Jul 7, 2007
26 posts
4 upvotes
Was the Hyundai dealer willing to process the $14k rebate for you and take it off the purchase price? If so, which dealership was it?
Nyaxite wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:14 pm
I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected.

I didn't like the "spoiler" that goes right through the back window nor the styling. On top of that, the dealer was trying to sell it to me for $30k OTR after rebates, but with 0% financing (~$165 bw/84-month term). Lease rates are at 4%.

So I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9050 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Where did you test drive the Ioniq? I want to test it too...

Can you share what offer you got on your 18 LEAF that you went with instead? THANKS
Nyaxite wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:14 pm
I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected.

I didn't like the "spoiler" that goes right through the back window nor the styling. On top of that, the dealer was trying to sell it to me for $30k OTR after rebates, but with 0% financing (~$165 bw/84-month term). Lease rates are at 4%.

So I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9050 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
dgege wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:32 pm
Well now I'm curious...
Me too, please share the comparison on the offer you got with the LEAF vs the Ioniq with me...interested
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41016 posts
9911 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:07 pm
For a gas car, certainly.
Consider this.

An Ontario electric utility offers a 2c/kWh rate for overnight EV charging. With all fees, that's near 5c/kWh.
Ref my thread:
ontario-canada-overnight-2c-kwh-ev-char ... n-2122796/

A large EV sedan (Tesla as an example) averages ~23 kWh/100 km with high speed (no one passing you) left lane driving, and ~20 kWh/100 km at speed limit.
23 kWh * $0.05/kWh = $1.15 / 100 km.

So a massively large comfortable highway cruiser gets the equivalent of a gas car with 1L/100 km efficiency, 4.8x better than your "incredible" mileage.

Just listing this for comparison sake. Not to rub it in. Just to make people aware of where things are going. The penalty for owning a large vehicle goes away with EV's, especially Tesla with their excellent aero efficiency at high speed.

Note that 60% of all of the driving we do in our Tesla is on free supercharger routes, so it's not fair to compare, as we don't pay at all to charge for most trips. And my family is staying this weekend in a hotel that supplies free charging for guests, another perk of driving EV's.
I thought that charging rate is good until end of year?

Any idea.how much it will be in phase 2?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1065 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:18 am
No US also have their own rebates though.
Wrong, government EV rebates apply not where you buy the car, but where you register it. I f you can find a dealer in US that is willing to sell it to you with exporting documentation then there won't be a problem getting rebate in ON.

P.S. this thread needs to be moved to 'Automotive' discussion. There is no 'Hot Deal' if Hyundai is not offering anything off MSRP.
Aug 23, 2007
197 posts
68 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:20 am
I thought that charging rate is good until end of year?

Any idea.how much it will be in phase 2?

My question is whether or not this will be worth it for people who keep their cars 8-10+ years... and my guess is NEGATIVE. We have had a few hybrid cars/trucks at work over the years (management thought it would be good for PR) and they all had to be sent to the scrap yard quite early because the electric systems eventually crapped out and it wasn't worth keeping the vehicles. It's typically the batteries that will go on them after 5 years or so, but there were other electric issues too that were quite expensive to fix, since all the systems on these things are electric (power steering, brakes, transmission shifter, etc... even the gas cap door!). A power steering module that needed to be swapped out twice on some of our hybrids was $1200 a shot for the part, just to give you an idea. Resale value on them is total crap too and no car dealer wants these in their lots as trade-ins, since used electric and hybrid cars simply never sell and linger around the lot forever (and so dealers tend to avoid them like the plague).

All in all, our hybrids at work were great on gas, but ended up costing more in maintenance and relatively short lifespans than their full-gas cousins of the same generation (that we still have around and running, by the way). All that electric car hype is drummed up by big businesses and phonies like Al Gore who make billions on supposedly "saving the planet", but the reality of the actual math is not as awesome as it looks on paper. Essentially, you have to be well off to drive an electric car, much more so than if you plan on driving the equivalent gas-only model... unless you only lease these things and get rid of them before the bills start piling up (and it's been proven that leasing new cars continuously is not for folks on a budget).

Here's a thought: instead of looking solely at "cost of gas mileage vs. electric mileage", it would be much more REALISTIC to compare TOTAL long-term ownership costs between gas and electric cars of the same make and model for a change, like after 10 years of ownership (which any modern vehicle should easily last). From the much higher price tag at the dealer to what it costs to fix/maintain these things and to what the resale value will be years down the line... and don't forget: you can't get these fixed/maintained at the corner garage, as they require mechanics to be specialized in electric/hybrid cars or else it's illegal for them to work on these things (for safety reasons). Translation: the maintenance/repairs will have to be done exclusively at the dealership, plus parts prices are ridiculously high for anything hybrid or electric when compared to gas-only vehicles (because this niche market commands a huge premium). Cha-ching!

;)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41016 posts
9911 upvotes
762mm wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:27 am
My question is whether or not this will be worth it for people who keep their cars 8-10+ years... and my guess is NEGATIVE. We have had a few hybrid cars/trucks at work over the years (management thought it would be good for PR) and they all had to be sent to the scrap yard quite early because the electric systems eventually crapped out and it wasn't worth keeping the vehicles. It's typically the batteries that will go on them after 5 years or so, but there were other electric issues too that were quite expensive to fix, since all the systems on these things are electric (power steering, brakes, transmission shifter, etc... even the gas cap door!). A power steering module that needed to be swapped out twice on some of our hybrids was $1200 a shot for the part, just to give you an idea. Resale value on them is total crap too and no car dealer wants these in their lots as trade-ins, since used electric and hybrid cars simply never sell and linger around the lot forever (and so dealers tend to avoid them like the plague).

All in all, our hybrids at work were great on gas, but ended up costing more in maintenance and relatively short lifespans than their full-gas cousins of the same generation (that we still have around and running, by the way). All that electric car hype is drummed up by big businesses and phonies like Al Gore who make billions on supposedly "saving the planet", but the reality of the actual math is not as awesome as it looks on paper. Essentially, you have to be well off to drive an electric car, much more so than if you plan on driving the equivalent gas-only model... unless you only lease these things and get rid of them before the bills start piling up (and it's been proven that leasing new cars continuously is not for folks on a budget).

Here's a thought: instead of looking solely at "cost of gas mileage vs. electric mileage", it would be much more REALISTIC to compare TOTAL long-term ownership costs between gas and electric cars of the same make and model for a change, like after 10 years of ownership (which any modern vehicle should easily last). From the much higher price tag at the dealer to what it costs to fix/maintain these things and to what the resale value will be years down the line... and don't forget: you can't get these fixed/maintained at the corner garage, as they require mechanics to be specialized in electric/hybrid cars or else it's illegal for them to work on these things (for safety reasons). Translation: the maintenance/repairs will have to be done exclusively at the dealership, plus parts prices are ridiculously high for anything hybrid or electric when compared to gas-only vehicles (because this niche market commands a huge premium). Cha-ching!

;)
Let me guess, your fleet doesn't include Toyota hybrids?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4225 posts
2077 upvotes
Kitchener
Not sure why you're comparing a complicated hybrid system with nickel metal hydride batteries and thousands of moving parts to an EV with lithium ion batteries and less than 10 moving parts? That's a huge stretch.

Ever wonder why there are so many Prius taxis?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
1867 posts
700 upvotes
MARKHAM
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:59 am
Let me guess, your fleet doesn't include Toyota hybrids?
My car got a write off due to collateral dmg on a huge accident. I'm planning to get a hybrid for my new daily drive. I'm favoring the ioniq hybrid, heard they are one of the most reliable brand in recent years and parts for repair are pretty cheap too. Better than Prius? It's damn ugly to me.
Oct 23, 2013
122 posts
61 upvotes
a11u11 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:49 pm
Was the Hyundai dealer willing to process the $14k rebate for you and take it off the purchase price? If so, which dealership was it?
Yes I believe so, though I'd still have to fill out the paperwork as far as I'm aware. Hyundai Collingwood, they have one SE with CCP in silver coming in 2-3 weeks.

Also, since it's 0% financing, you may even be better off pocketing the $14k.
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:11 pm

Can you share what offer you got on your 18 LEAF that you went with instead? THANKS
No offers yet, I just put money down pending offers and rebates. They don't have that info just yet.
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:13 pm
Me too, please share the comparison on the offer you got with the LEAF vs the Ioniq with me...interested
I'd happily share any juicy offer I received, but I got nothing at this point.

Just to be clear, I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf mainly because of the little bit of extra range and features (ProPilot Assist) it has over the Ioniq. It just happens that I make a 200km journey several times a year, and would rather use my own car rather than my SO's for at least the summer months.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41016 posts
9911 upvotes
JasonCao wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:55 am
My car got a write off due to collateral dmg on a huge accident. I'm planning to get a hybrid for my new daily drive. I'm favoring the ioniq hybrid, heard they are one of the most reliable brand in recent years and parts for repair are pretty cheap too. Better than Prius? It's damn ugly to me.
Yeah, PHEVs are pretty good with MPG but I'll go with a BEV for our next car. Read some of @IntrepidRT post and you will see how he likes his Leaf so much more than his hybrid (non-plug in) Sonata.

but PHEV is a good way to get the full $14k rebate in Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9050 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
But this is what you said in bold font...

"I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected."

I just want to know where you tested the Ioniq, which dealership? I'm guessing Collingwood? Thanks
Nyaxite wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:01 am
Yes I believe so, though I'd still have to fill out the paperwork as far as I'm aware. Hyundai Collingwood, they have one SE with CCP in silver coming in 2-3 weeks.

Also, since it's 0% financing, you may even be better off pocketing the $14k.

No offers yet, I just put money down pending offers and rebates. They don't have that info just yet.

I'd happily share any juicy offer I received, but I got nothing at this point.

Just to be clear, I pre-ordered the '18 Leaf mainly because of the little bit of extra range and features (ProPilot Assist) it has over the Ioniq. It just happens that I make a 200km journey several times a year, and would rather use my own car rather than my SO's for at least the summer months.
Oct 23, 2013
122 posts
61 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:43 am
But this is what you said in bold font...

"I test drove an Ioniq on the weekend and was impressed.

It certainly felt quick, it drove well, the regen was fairly strong, the sound system was great, and it was more spacious than expected."

I just want to know where you tested the Ioniq, which dealership? I'm guessing Collingwood? Thanks
Yes, Collingwood. They had a black one that was already sold but available to test drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3316 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga
So overpriced. Forget the rebate. How in the heck is this worth $40K for that dinky car?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4225 posts
2077 upvotes
Kitchener
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:11 pm

Pre-ordered the '18 Leaf as well for both myself and my dad while we wait for our Model 3 reservations. Will probably go with the SV trim @ $39,500 - $14,000 incentive. My '15 Leaf lease is coming up (when I get to 96,000km which will be in the next 6 months) and we also want to replace the Sonata with a BEV.
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:40 am

Yeah, PHEVs are pretty good with MPG but I'll go with a BEV for our next car. Read some of @IntrepidRT post and you will see how he likes his Leaf so much more than his hybrid (non-plug in) Sonata.

but PHEV is a good way to get the full $14k rebate in Ontario.
Different experience. We BABY the Sonata to try to get the fuel mileage......can get it down to about 5.0L/100km in the summer, more like 6.5L/100km in the winter. Driving the Leaf is a COMPLETELY different experience than the Sonata Hybrid. VERY quick, very responsive, lots of fun to drive. The Sonata is more like a rolling couch that's VERY comfortable and quite luxurious, but it's pretty funny how different BEV's and Hybrids are from each other in general.
ar2020 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:51 am
So overpriced. Forget the rebate. How in the heck is this worth $40K for that dinky car?
It's not that small of a car, have you driven one? Making assumptions usually isn't in the best interest of anybody. I KNOW the cargo capacity of the Ioniq electric is MUCH better than in our full size Sonata Hybrid. Many people think that the mid-sized Leaf is a subcompact (these people aren't the brightest), but realistically it has more trunk space than many crossovers. I can carry a snowblower in the trunk without folding the rear seats (I do have to fold the snowblower handle though).
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Sep 13th, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.