Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5937 posts
3527 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Brian71 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 8:36 pm
I've done both I-77 and I-77. I liked I-79 better mainly because it was more scenic. The major curves were around Beckley VA and further south by the tunnels. It's less like the Parkway once you're in North Carolina. The view from one of the rest stops is worth stopping to look at.

Like others have said avoid I-95. I took that route to Virginia Beach and I was stuck in stop-go traffic around Washington for 3 hours. I was told it's normal.
Hmm, sounds like you made the classic rookie mistake of following your GPS’s advise for staying with I-95 or the Washington Bypass I-495... GPS’s tend to pick these routes cause they are significantly shorter in mileage... BUT the traffic around DC IS NUTS.

Everyone, makes this error once... cause once is more than enough sitting in the Interstate Parking Lot.

For future reference, should you ever be in the vicinity again...
No one does the I-95 big city east coast trek (Washington - Baltimore - Philly - NYC - Boston) unless they absolutely have to.

Coming from Ontario and heading to Virginia Beach or Points south, the secret to connecting from I-81 to I-95 is not to follow your GPS... and use either I-66 and then Hwy 17 to get to I-95, or I-64 to I-95 at Richmond ... or get off I-81 at Harrisburg PA and head towards Gettysburg PA / Leesburg VA on Hwy 15 until you meet up with Hwy 29 / 17 to connect to the I-95. This last route, is actually the shortest route, surprisingly... and incredibly scenic & historic as it meanders past the many Civil War Battlegrounds, and thru the Hobby Farms & Estates of Wealthy Virginians, many of whom make the commute to high power jobs in Washington (nicknamed Horse Country by the locals).
Jul 20, 2012
545 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 12:37 am
Hmm, sounds like you made the classic rookie mistake of following your GPS’s advise for staying with I-95 or the Washington Bypass I-495... GPS’s tend to pick these routes cause they are significantly shorter in mileage... BUT the traffic around DC IS NUTS.

Everyone, makes this error once... cause once is more than enough sitting in the Interstate Parking Lot.

For future reference, should you ever be in the vicinity again...
No one does the I-95 big city east coast trek (Washington - Baltimore - Philly - NYC - Boston) unless they absolutely have to.

Coming from Ontario and heading to Virginia Beach or Points south, the secret to connecting from I-81 to I-95 is not to follow your GPS... and use either I-66 and then Hwy 17 to get to I-95, or I-64 to I-95 at Richmond ... or get off I-81 at Harrisburg PA and head towards Gettysburg PA / Leesburg VA on Hwy 15 until you meet up with Hwy 29 / 17 to connect to the I-95. This last route, is actually the shortest route, surprisingly... and incredibly scenic & historic as it meanders past the many Civil War Battlegrounds, and thru the Hobby Farms & Estates of Wealthy Virginians, many of whom make the commute to high power jobs in Washington (nicknamed Horse Country by the locals).
We stopped one night at Harrisburg PA. We've talked about going back. You're correct, the GPS got us in that mess but Google maps got us out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6685 posts
1243 upvotes
Mississauga
Stribor40 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 8:46 am
I took my familly to Boston last year and drive was great. We used I-90 on the way to Boston. We are planning a trip to Charleston in SC and according to Google Maps I-77 and I-79 is the way to go.
What i am interested is comparasion of these highways regarding curves. Reason I am asking is thaf 77,79 are very curvy and I dont want my kids to get motion sicness.
I guess I want to compare these 2 highways against I-90. I figured if they were able to handle I-90 on the way to Boston and curves are similar to 77,79 then great.
Anyway any feedback would be much appreciated.
Please don't take this the wrong way. Curves on any highway are made for everybody to drive on. Please don't shelter your kids from life.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3320 posts
859 upvotes
markham
I drive this route from FLA every spring...there is no quick way through Charlotte..if I could avoid it without driving an extra 500 km I would..but having said that..it is still the quickest route...but I wouldn't intentionally go out of my way to visit unless i had to...now if you have to go...I don't think it matters.

Having convo's with locals there...they like to claim they are in the centre of the country..10 hours north to Canada or south to FLA...and ..4 hours to the beach any direction they say.
Feb 6, 2006
3 posts
Love the route 77-79 south from Erie . Done it 30 times , several with kids . You will see more deer in one day on this route than you will all year here in S. Ont. Your kids will be preoccupied looking for them. As long as you are not driving in winter condition it is a fantastic scenic route with less trucks than any other north south interstate. I have found that my family members are more likely to get car sick on windy secondary roads not the Major interstates. If you take the Hwy 19 shortcut ( though It is no longer is a shortcut because of all the new stoplights) make sure you stop at the New River gorge viewing centre. It is the deepest river canyon you will ever see.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6940 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
jamo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:27 am
Love the route 77-79 south from Erie . Done it 30 times , several with kids . You will see more deer in one day on this route than you will all year here in S. Ont. Your kids will be preoccupied looking for them. As long as you are not driving in winter condition it is a fantastic scenic route with less trucks than any other north south interstate. I have found that my family members are more likely to get car sick on windy secondary roads not the Major interstates. If you take the Hwy 19 shortcut ( though It is no longer is a shortcut because of all the new stoplights) make sure you stop at the New River gorge viewing centre. It is the deepest river canyon you will ever see.
How bad are the stoplights? Are you suggesting that it might be easier to go the whole interstate round than to cut through via Hwy 19?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!