4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Wrong thread use search function
Oct 3, 2016
423 posts
697 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Hey Madlove, this section of the forum is dedicated specifically to post of sales, clearances or deals that might be acquirable by other members. For a thread such as this one, use of the shopping discussion subforum would be more advantageous for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
3014 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone comment on belair vs sonnet??

Currently with belair but they raised my premium by $100 even with my clean driving record. I got a quote with sonnet and its $200 cheaper than belair. I called into belair to cancel my renewal but they said they had a few customers switch back due to two reasons.

1. The quote online increased after they made payments with sonnet and they pulled up your record(?!?)

2. Alot of customers came back after switching due to a significant increase in premium after the first year.

Also, my dad is part owner of the vehicle but he isn't apart of my policy. Belair said he would also need to call in to proceed with the cancellation. Is this true or are they just giving me a hard time so I dont leave them?!?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
congeetime wrote: Can anyone comment on belair vs sonnet??

Currently with belair but they raised my premium by $100 even with my clean driving record. I got a quote with sonnet and its $200 cheaper than belair. I called into belair to cancel my renewal but they said they had a few customers switch back due to two reasons.

1. The quote online increased after they made payments with sonnet and they pulled up your record(?!?)

2. Alot of customers came back after switching due to a significant increase in premium after the first year.

Also, my dad is part owner of the vehicle but he isn't apart of my policy. Belair said he would also need to call in to proceed with the cancellation. Is this true or are they just giving me a hard time so I dont leave them?!?
If the rate increases the next renewal year, just switch to another company.
May 2, 2018
61 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
congeetime wrote: Can anyone comment on belair vs sonnet??

I highly doubt what they're saying is true, especially since their job is to keep you as a customer. So in so far as rates increasing after the first year, welcome to the world of car insurance in Ontario. A lot of insurance companies do that. I had it happen with Desjardines. Amazing rate the first year, then I get the renewal and BOOM $60 a month more even though no claims, no accidents, nothing. I called in and they're like yep we just reassessed the area you live in. I do notice a lot more Chinese people moved up here so maybe that's why. But anyway I shopped around and got a better deal elsewhere. It's frustrating no doubt but that's how it is until the government here closes that postal code loophole that insurers use to hike your rates. When it comes to car insurance don't have loyalty to any insurance company because when you file a claim they're all the same crap. As long as you get the coverage you need at the best possible rate that's all that matters.
Feb 18, 2007
188 posts
24 upvotes
My belair direct rates just went up an extra $40 a month! I'm going to switch to Sonnet.
Jun 29, 2007
9 posts
Toronto
Just got my renewal from Aviva and the rates are ridiculous so I did some online quotes. Sonnet’s was the lowest by far for both home and auto so I went head and purchased both.

I had to enter my driver’s license number and I mentioned the correct number of accidents and tickets (which would’ve been reconfirmed through my license number anyway) and yet the price was still so low. My credit card has already been charged for the first and last month, and I received an email with the policy documents - is it likely that they’ll somehow raise my premiums after “running more reports”? My policies aren’t effective until late December but I don’t want to have to scramble to find another insurance carrier at the last minute..
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
moonal wrote: Just got my renewal from Aviva and the rates are ridiculous so I did some online quotes. Sonnet’s was the lowest by far for both home and auto so I went head and purchased both.

I had to enter my driver’s license number and I mentioned the correct number of accidents and tickets (which would’ve been reconfirmed through my license number anyway) and yet the price was still so low. My credit card has already been charged for the first and last month, and I received an email with the policy documents - is it likely that they’ll somehow raise my premiums after “running more reports”? My policies aren’t effective until late December but I don’t want to have to scramble to find another insurance carrier at the last minute..
If you received the policy already, they're not going to run anymore checks.
Jun 29, 2007
9 posts
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: If you received the policy already, they're not going to run anymore checks.
Just a little wary since quote to bind took all of 10 minutes!
Mar 15, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
"Just a little wary since quote to bind took all of 10 minutes!" And so you should be. And so should anyone else who believes they can get an "accurate" quote online, within 10 minutes. based on minimal information, fed into Sonnets robo quote. I cannot speak about vehicle insurance because I live in BC but, home insurance is the one area I can. I live in rural BC. Have done so for 25 years. When we first bought home insurance for a "broad" coverage we paid $750.00 for 1 year. We now pay $1350.00/year. Not much has changed in our original risk position. We still burn wood, still have no fire department, have had no claims, but have every year shopped for better rates. We are currently with Intact Insurance because after entertaining quotes on "person to person" meetings with a myriad of other companies, this company is the cheapest premium for "broad" coverage. It is far fetched to believe that Sonnet can quote 50% less on a premium for same coverage when the 25 or more insurance companies that I have sought quotes from cannot even comprehend doing that. Think of it, not one Canadian needing insurance would stay with their insurance company if they knew there was one insurance company that could legitimately save them 50% on a premium. Word travels fast when it comes to saving money. Don't forget the age old saying, " If it is too good to be true, it usually isn't". Anyone can compare online quotes eg. Square 1 vs Sonnet. If filling out Square 1 form is more comprehensive to reach a consensus on premium, how can Sonnet undersell on a 10 minute quote based on negligible information?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Screwedagain wrote: "Just a little wary since quote to bind took all of 10 minutes!" And so you should be. And so should anyone else who believes they can get an "accurate" quote online, within 10 minutes. based on minimal information, fed into Sonnets robo quote. I cannot speak about vehicle insurance because I live in BC but, home insurance is the one area I can. I live in rural BC. Have done so for 25 years. When we first bought home insurance for a "broad" coverage we paid $750.00 for 1 year. We now pay $1350.00/year. Not much has changed in our original risk position. We still burn wood, still have no fire department, have had no claims, but have every year shopped for better rates. We are currently with Intact Insurance because after entertaining quotes on "person to person" meetings with a myriad of other companies, this company is the cheapest premium for "broad" coverage. It is far fetched to believe that Sonnet can quote 50% less on a premium for same coverage when the 25 or more insurance companies that I have sought quotes from cannot even comprehend doing that. Think of it, not one Canadian needing insurance would stay with their insurance company if they knew there was one insurance company that could legitimately save them 50% on a premium. Word travels fast when it comes to saving money. Don't forget the age old saying, " If it is too good to be true, it usually isn't". Anyone can compare online quotes eg. Square 1 vs Sonnet. If filling out Square 1 form is more comprehensive to reach a consensus on premium, how can Sonnet undersell on a 10 minute quote based on negligible information?
The question is, how can Sonnet produce a policy, if 10min isn't enough?
Mar 15, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
That's what is so great about freedom. Freedom to choose, or not. Freedom to make mistakes,or not. Freedom to sink or swim. The days of dong business on a handshake are diminishing if not gone. The HOOK from online insurance companies like Sonnet are cast in 10 questions. The BAIT is the instantaneous low ball quote. The NET ...."The 5 minutes to get insured is based on the average Sonnet customer experience. Your customer experience will be based on your information and the products that we have to service your insurance needs. We reserve the right to verify this information. Quotes provided are valid for 45 days, and are intended to be an estimate only. Actual premiums, rates and terms of coverage will only be determined after you submit an application for insurance which is accepted by Sonnet Insurance Company. Always refer to your insurance policy for information about your coverage, including limits, deductibles, and exclusions. In case of discrepancy, the insurance contract prevails over general information available on this site. Any policy related changes made on this site will not be effective until you receive confirmation. Rest assured Sonnet (Economical) would be out of business attempting low ball competitors.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Screwedagain wrote: That's what is so great about freedom. Freedom to choose, or not. Freedom to make mistakes,or not. Freedom to sink or swim. The days of dong business on a handshake are diminishing if not gone. The HOOK from online insurance companies like Sonnet are cast in 10 questions. The BAIT is the instantaneous low ball quote. The NET ...."The 5 minutes to get insured is based on the average Sonnet customer experience. Your customer experience will be based on your information and the products that we have to service your insurance needs. We reserve the right to verify this information. Quotes provided are valid for 45 days, and are intended to be an estimate only. Actual premiums, rates and terms of coverage will only be determined after you submit an application for insurance which is accepted by Sonnet Insurance Company. Always refer to your insurance policy for information about your coverage, including limits, deductibles, and exclusions. In case of discrepancy, the insurance contract prevails over general information available on this site. Any policy related changes made on this site will not be effective until you receive confirmation. Rest assured Sonnet (Economical) would be out of business attempting low ball competitors.
Say what?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1137 posts
450 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Did you know the average length/policy of a Sonnet customer is 8 months!?!?

Think about that for a second.

They attract greasy clients (this will change in the future).

Auto insurance in Ontario is performing terribly right now.

Sonnet is losing a ton a dough, just like many of the other major carriers.

We are in the worst hard market in over 10 years, ask anyone in the industry.

However, Sonnet is a reputable company owned by Economical, they will be jacking up rates in 2019, but if you can, lock in a sweet deal for 1 year - get it while its good! (cause if won't be for very long)

Personally, I am with Sonnet.

They have under priced the market (especially in the GTA - terrible, terrible idea) and will pay for it (they already are) - I am taking advantage of their low rates while I can.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6697 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Screwedagain wrote: "Just a little wary since quote to bind took all of 10 minutes!" And so you should be. And so should anyone else who believes they can get an "accurate" quote online, within 10 minutes. based on minimal information, fed into Sonnets robo quote. I cannot speak about vehicle insurance because I live in BC but, home insurance is the one area I can. I live in rural BC. Have done so for 25 years. When we first bought home insurance for a "broad" coverage we paid $750.00 for 1 year. We now pay $1350.00/year. Not much has changed in our original risk position. We still burn wood, still have no fire department, have had no claims, but have every year shopped for better rates. We are currently with Intact Insurance because after entertaining quotes on "person to person" meetings with a myriad of other companies, this company is the cheapest premium for "broad" coverage. It is far fetched to believe that Sonnet can quote 50% less on a premium for same coverage when the 25 or more insurance companies that I have sought quotes from cannot even comprehend doing that. Think of it, not one Canadian needing insurance would stay with their insurance company if they knew there was one insurance company that could legitimately save them 50% on a premium. Word travels fast when it comes to saving money. Don't forget the age old saying, " If it is too good to be true, it usually isn't". Anyone can compare online quotes eg. Square 1 vs Sonnet. If filling out Square 1 form is more comprehensive to reach a consensus on premium, how can Sonnet undersell on a 10 minute quote based on negligible information?
Hard to read.

Paragraphs and spacing would make your points easier to understand.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
RobertSmalls008 wrote: Did you know the average length/policy of a Sonnet customer is 8 months!?!?

Think about that for a second.

They attract greasy clients (this will change in the future).

Auto insurance in Ontario is performing terribly right now.

Sonnet is losing a ton a dough, just like many of the other major carriers.

We are in the worst hard market in over 10 years, ask anyone in the industry.

However, Sonnet is a reputable company owned by Economical, they will be jacking up rates in 2019, but if you can, lock in a sweet deal for 1 year - get it while its good! (cause if won't be for very long)

Personally, I am with Sonnet.

They have under priced the market (especially in the GTA - terrible, terrible idea) and will pay for it (they already are) - I am taking advantage of their low rates while I can.
Did they penetrate Brampton that they underestimated their risks?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
Any time I call for quotes - using those online quote sites - sonnet never comes up as the cheapest or one of the cheapest. It is always Aviva - which seems to be a mixed review whenever I try to read about companies on review sites or here - I'm willing to go somewhere else but two brokers came up with them (Aviva) so I guess I must say I'm a bit perplexed.
Dec 8, 2018
1 posts
I recently signed on with Sonnet and my quote was higher than previous providers. Since I needed insurance immediately I had no choice but accept their quote. I don’t see how people are getting cheaper quotes unless my suspicions are right. This company only exists on paper. I call them up to make changes and they say go pn line to do it. Next time I go on line it tells me to contact them by phone! This is definitely some kind of scam! I have my lawyer on speed dial for when I should try to make a claim. How can anyone have confidence in a business that has no brick and mortar building?If anyone here has made a successful claim with Sonnet then please post the claim process here. Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)