Food & Drink

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2017 9:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2866 posts
436 upvotes

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

Every now and again, I'll be going around the supermarket and notice that a certain item that I used to buy is no longer available. Sometimes, it's a temporary supply/re-supply issue and if I'm patient, a few weeks later, there it'll be again in its usual spot on the shelf. Sometimes though, it never does re-appear and its shelf-tag & space disappears ("oh no!") - only for you to months later perhaps be surprised & relieved to suddenly come across it at a different supermarket ("Hey, it *wasn't* discontinued, after all!"). And sometimes, you'll just never see it again, anywhere...

This thread is therefore for any of those items that you believe, know or suspect *are* still in production but for whatever reason seem to have disappeared from your local supermarket's shelves -- and not come back.

With the help of the RFD community perhaps we can find out whether an item's lack of availability is locally-isolated or widespread -- and hopefully identify a chain or specific store location that still carries it (a *confirmed sighting*!). Or, perhaps if one of us has actually contacted the manufacturer and received a reply, we can confirm for the RFD community that the product has been indeed been permanently discontinued.
:idea:

To help give the posts in this thread a uniform look and hopefully to save you a bit of time if you're adding a new item to the thread, please find below a pre-formatted template that can be used: [indent]just Copy & Paste the text in the code-block below into your Reply and edit the fields as needed:
[php]I am looking for:
_item (_size)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: _ ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: _stores
- I`VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
[/php]
note: Of course, posting an image is not mandatory but it is helpful as it will help readers know what you're actually talking about. We might not have ever bought the item but we might recognize its package. Therefore, if you're not posting an image, please be sure to delete the relevant 'img tag' section from the template before posting and in its place, write a brief description of the item & its packaging type.[/indent]

I'll start it off with a few items that I can think of off the top of my head:
Unico Red Wine Vinegar (sold in 500mL & 1L bottles)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1 year ago?
- USED TO BUY IT AT: No Frills, Metro, RCSS, Walmart, local independent grocer
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above
UPDATE DEC 2010: PRODUCT FOUND by multiple RFDers at GTA-area Highland Farms
UPDATE APRIL 2011: PRODUCT ALSO FOUND AT FRESHCO & LONGOS

- PRODUCT IMAGE:
Sharwood's Curry Powder - 'Hot' (sold in 113g plastic canister)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1 year ago?
- USED TO BUY IT AT: I don't remember! RCSS??
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: RCSS, Walmart, No Frills, Metro, local independent grocer
- PRODUCT IMAGE: (note: my last one actually had a solid pink background)
Kraft/Peek Freans 'Nice' cookies
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 6 months ago?
- USED TO BUY IT AT: No Frills, Metro, RCSS, Walmart, local independent grocer
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above
UPDATE: Just found them again Dec 7th at my local Walmart & Metro.
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
PG tips - Orange Pekoe tea
note: PG tips 'Orange Pekoe' is available (packaged in Canada by Unilever Canada), but it's still hard to find in Canada. It is inferior to the not-available but #1-selling (in the UK) standard 'PG tips' blended black tea, but it is better than nothing
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: in my town, 2 years ago(?)*
- USED TO BUY IT AT: my local Metro
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: my local Metro, RCSS, No Frills, Walmart, local independent grocer
- * I FOUND IT AT: 1 specific Metro location, 1 town away. (I make special trips!)
Update Dec 31st 2010: also found at Freshco
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
Orville Redenbacher's 'Hot Air' Gourmet Popcorn
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: in my town, 2 years ago?*
- USED TO BUY IT AT: No Frills, Dominion, RCSS
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above + Walmart, RCSS, Sobeys
- *I FOUND IT AT: an independent grocer, 1 town away. (I make special trips!)
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
Anyone seen any of those items recently?
429 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Highland Farms has 4 liter bottles of Unico red wine vinegar; maybe they still have the smaller bottles.
Dec 25, 2006
659 posts
17 upvotes
Woodstock, NB
I can't find the Salt and Pepper popchips anywhere in edmonton!!

I thinkn shoppers drug mart stopped carrying them, and replaced it with the much worse sour cream and onion.

does anyone know of a location that has them?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2866 posts
436 upvotes
WolfDV wrote:
Dec 8th, 2010 7:50 pm
Popchips popped potato chips - Salt & Pepper flavour
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: n/a
- USED TO BUY IT AT: SDM in Edmonton
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: SDM in Edmonton
- PRODUCT IMAGE:

I can't find the Salt and Pepper popchips anywhere in edmonton!!
I thinkn shoppers drug mart stopped carrying them, and replaced it with the much worse sour cream and onion.
does anyone know of a location that has them?
Have you tried the Sobeys at Victoria Trail NW & 137 Ave?

Btw, doesn't really help you but my local Costco has 'barbecue' flavour, in a 424g bag. (Didn't note the exact price but $5.85 is in my head for some reason).
Dec 7, 2009
1 posts
Victoria
kinda random but I'm looking for a can of vanilla coke. I have a friend who was practically addicted to the stuff when it was available here - would make a good christmas present. Any idea for places in Victoria or online where you can buy 1 can without costing like 20 bucks for shipping?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5640 posts
247 upvotes
BC
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 12:05 am
god damn bugles

Thank you! And what is with that??
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17651 posts
780 upvotes
Brampton
Red Wine Vinegar is definitely still available, my parents have a salad made with olive oil/red wine vinegar several times a week, they've made the same simple dressing ever since I was a little kid
Discord: ZAvMRrc
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
22 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 1:14 am
Red Wine Vinegar is definitely still available, my parents have a salad made with olive oil/red wine vinegar several times a week, they've made the same simple dressing ever since I was a little kid

I think he was talking about Unico's brand....
Oct 11, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Co-op brand Pizza Bites. They only ever came in one flavour, deluxe, but damn were they ever good... I haven't seen those for 3 years at least...
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17651 posts
780 upvotes
Brampton
Jay Hova wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 10:53 am
I think he was talking about Unico's brand....

I could be crazy but I'm pretty sure that's the brand they buy.. They definitely used to, at least..
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17651 posts
780 upvotes
Brampton
How about Pillsbury pizza rolls? They were little bite sized things I used to love as a little kid, but now I think only Pizza Pops are still available

Not that I would buy them today, but they are gone as far as I know
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2866 posts
436 upvotes
callitasicit wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 12:25 am
Hotchos.
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 12:05 am
god damn bugles
Noted. But if you actually wanted some feedback on them, you're going to have to help me out by providing a bit more info. See template I posted (you don't have to use it but the more info you provide, the easier it is for others to help).
ateale wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 12:37 am
kinda random but I'm looking for a can of vanilla coke. I have a friend who was practically addicted to the stuff when it was available here - would make a good christmas present. Any idea for places in Victoria or online where you can buy 1 can without costing like 20 bucks for shipping?
I called Coca-a-Cola and was told that it is "discontinued" and has not been available in Canada "for a long time" and therefore is not available in Victoria, BC or Ontario or anywhere else. I said it was definitely on shelves in Ontario this past summer and the woman told me "No, it is and was discontinued". Her accent gave away that she was probably at HQ in Atlanta, Georgia so I asked if there was a number for Coca-Cola Canada that I could call. "No. Thank you for your interest in Coca-Cola products. Was there anything else I can help you with today?..."

I don't know about Victoria, but if you have a friend on the mainland who can help you out, I know of a convenience store in Vancouver that had it 2 months ago, and which has a selection of imported canned pop. It's the Hasty/Nasty Market at 3150 Main St near E 16 Ave, tel (604) 874-9309. (cool store, the 'H' in its store sign changes to a 'N' at night!). Give them a shout and see if they still have it.
Oct 11, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
duckdown wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 1:27 pm
How about Pillsbury pizza rolls? They were little bite sized things I used to love as a little kid, but now I think only Pizza Pops are still available

Not that I would buy them today, but they are gone as far as I know
They changed the recipe and then shortly after, they discontinued them because the new ones sucked (well, I thought so..). After that Co-op came out with their Pizza bites which were so awesome... *sniff* I miss them.. :(