Food & Drink

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 5:43 pm
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
90 upvotes
Hamilton
Last yr i was addicted to Presedents choice frozen "Bread pudding"....cant find it now!....whats up with that?? Ive looked in No frills/metro & fortinos.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
545 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
duckdown wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 1:27 pm
How about Pillsbury pizza rolls? They were little bite sized things I used to love as a little kid, but now I think only Pizza Pops are still available

Not that I would buy them today, but they are gone as far as I know

I was just in Highland Farms today, and they have 4 liters Unico red wine vinegar for $6.99, .5 liter for $1.49
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 12:33 pm
I was just in Highland Farms today, and they have 4 liters Unico red wine vinegar for $6.99, .5 liter for $1.49
I don't have a Highland Farms near me, but thank you for confirming that it is still found on some store's shelves. I'm going to email Unico and find out why it's disappeared from my town...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
'Quick' Quaker Oats (bag or tube)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1 year ago?
- USED TO BUY IT AT: Metro, everywhere?
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: Metro, RCSS, No Frills, Walmart, local independent grocer
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
Image | Image
After looking everywhere for about a month, and come up empty handed, I bought Quaker "Large Flake" oats instead. I've no problem doing that, but they do take longer to cook, and it's weird that the Quick Oats have disappeared.
Update: Found Dec 22nd at COSTCO, 5kg box for $8.39
Update: Found Dec 31st at Freshco, 1kg bag for $2.92
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8257 posts
2696 upvotes
Toronto
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 5:40 pm
After looking everywhere for about a month, and come up empty handed, I bought Quaker "Large Flake" oats instead. I've no problem doing that, but they do take longer to cook, and it's weird that the Quick Oats have disappeared.

If you're looking for oats for cereal I highly recommend the PC Blue Menu Steel Cut Oats. Lower glycemic index than the quick stuff and I find they taste better too. True, the cooking time is longer but I add oats and flavourings to some boiling water and microwave at 50% power for 20 mins. I even add a couple of spoons of quinoa for some extra protein. Stir once about half way through. Add fruit and sweeteners near the end to just cut through. I make a big batch on Sunday that's good for at least 4 big bowl fulls through the week. Just pop it in the microwave in the morning to heat through and you're good to go.

Bought a 840gm can at NF for $3.
http://reviews.presidentschoice.ca/6584 ... eviews.htm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
49 upvotes
Looking for "langue de chat" cookies or cats toungue cookies, here they might be called vanilla wafers.
I used to buy the Lu brand and another brand at Metro- they were $2.99 or $3.99 for a 200 gram box and so good.

I tried the Nilla wafers from Christie and those are not that crisp and have a fake vanilla taste.
Deli near me had the "cat toungue" cookies a few months ago, but not any more.

Chocodirect has some now, but they seem kind of expensive there.
Guess if i can not find them I'll buy from chocodirect, would rather buy at an actual store though.

or if anyone has a recipie.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
3049 posts
167 upvotes
You can find Nice cookies in bulk at the Peek Freans Factory Outlet: 5 Bermondsey Road, East York, Ontario, M4B 2T7
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 6:34 pm
If you're looking for oats for cereal I highly recommend the PC Blue Menu Steel Cut Oats.
Thanks, I'll give them a try next time per your recommendation!
Bookpreviews wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 7:01 pm
Looking for "langue de chat" cookies or cats toungue cookies, here they might be called vanilla wafers.
I used to buy the Lu brand and another brand at Metro- they were $2.99 or $3.99 for a 200 gram box and so good.
I've had these before, but didn't know what they were called.
Here's a product image. I'll keep my eye out for them.
edit: have looked everywhere, not seen them. Have contacted 'LU' for assistance.. will update.
tmpz wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 7:17 pm
You can find Nice cookies in bulk at the Peek Freans Factory Outlet: 5 Bermondsey Road, East York, Ontario, M4B 2T7
Good stuff, thanks. I went there once about 10 years ago and $10 bought enough cookies to keep me satisfied for months..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
49 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 9:19 pm
Thanks, I'll give them a try next time per your recommendation!

I've had these before, but didn't know what they were called.
Here's a product image. I'll keep my eye out for them.

Good stuff, thanks. I went there once about 10 years ago and $10 bought enough cookies to keep me satisfied for months..

Yup, it is those cookies.
the ones Chocodirect has it is another brand, but the cookies taste exactly the same.
The box says Biscuits Bouvard.
next time I'm getting 5 boxes as they are too easy to eat...
I wish I knew how to make them though, I rarely ever buy packaged cookies.
either make them or get some at a bakery (i go to a middle eastern bakery and they never charge me tax :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
49 upvotes
sillysimms wrote:
Dec 19th, 2010 1:15 am
Here's a recipe. Never used it, but they look very easy and inexpensive to make. If you don't like that particular recipe, there are others via google:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Langues-De ... etail.aspx
Thanks,
not sure if I'll try that one as a few people said it came out like shortbread.

Speaking of shortbread, I can bake some that tastes exactly like the Walkers shortbread....only better and fresher.
the recipie from the Cordon Bleu cookbook is awesome.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
Answering my own post (I"ll update my original)
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 5:40 pm
'Quick' Quaker Oats (bag or tube)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1 year ago?
- USED TO BUY IT AT: Metro, everywhere?
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: Metro, RCSS, No Frills, Walmart, local independent grocer
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
Image | Image
FOUND AT: Costco.
:)

Costco had a 5kg box of Quaker 'Quick' Oats for $8.39.
The box said it contained '2 bags', so it's 2x 2.5kg.
.. and works out to $1.68/kg of oats.

That's pretty good, as the lowest price I I'd paid before was $2.92 for a 1kg bag at No Frills!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
From a recent RFD 'egg nog thread' [link]:
PC Blue Menu Egg Nog (1L bottle)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1yr ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: Loblaws, RCSS
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: RCSS
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
I looked for this at a RCSS today and they had a floor display of PC-brand egg nog with product signage for both this and their 'PC Rich and Creamy Egg Nog' (white bottle, same price @ $3 per L - see linked thread for photo), however the display was filled only with the 'PC Rich and Creamy' product - no 'Blue Menu' stuff in sight.

RFD'er 'bonterra' had previously said he/she couldn't find the 'Blue Menu' nog anywhere this year.
ANYONE seen it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2884 posts
473 upvotes
Here's another one:
Silani Mozzarella balls (3-pack) (3x 280g bulk pack)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 2 months ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: Costco
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: Costco
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
** STATUS CONFIRMED BY MANUFACTURER AS DISCONTINUED **
A bit of background on this one: Silani mozzarella balls are and have been available in most of my local supermarkets for some time now, and were until a few months ago--until some time earlier this year--sold in individual 340g pouches (ranging in price from $4.49 at Longos to $5.49 each at Metro). Costco, however, sold a 3-pack strip of smaller individually-packaged balls (280g x 3 = 840g total weight), and they were super value at $7.99 when I started buying them last March. They were even better value when Costco's price dropped to $6.99 in late June/early July. I was happy to see that it remained at that price-point as buying them at this price at Costco saved me 37% off the best supermarket price in my area!

But a month or 2 ago, I went to Costco to buy some more and oh no!... they were not in their usual home. In fact, they were NOWHERE to be found! Aagh!

I held off for a week or 2, but still they had not re-appeared, so in desperation I started comparing prices during my normal weekly supermarket rounds. To my surprise, *everywhere* was now carrying the (individually-packaged) product in a tiny 260g package, for around the same price they had all been charging not even a year ago for 340g!

I paid $4.99 for a 260g ball (equivalent to $1.92 per 100g vs $0.83 per 100g @ Costco), and then after my last visit to Costco and still coming up empty handed, sent off an email to Silani to find out what was going on. They replied quickly, but (sadly for me) confirmed that Costco had been the only retailer carrying the mozzarella ball 3-pack and that Costco has recently discontinued placing orders for it, meaning that the 3-pack product is now effectively unavailable anywhere/everywhere. :(

Costco does still sell Mozzarella in bulk but it's in huge single-block packages weighing in at (IIRC) 1.1kg and 2.3kg, and the value is not even anywhere near so good (I believe they were $12.50 and $22-$23 respectively, so 20%+ more expensive than the 3-packs). I also find that re-wrapping cheese at home is never as successful at keeping the mold/dryness away as when it's vacuum-packed at the factory, so buying such large blocks of cheese is not something I'm all that interested in.

If there's a consolation, it's that FreshCo (Sobey's 'budget' supermarket) [link] now has a number of stores across Ontario and frequently has (Silani brand) mozzarella on special - last week and this upcoming week for instance, a 260g ball is/was on special for just $1.77 -- which is 18% better than Costco's Silani 3-pack ever was. (It's equivalent to a price of $5.70 for the 3x 280g pack).

It's just a shame that's not a REGULAR price!