Food & Drink

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 6:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
midget_man wrote:
May 18th, 2016 7:21 am
Or you could just go to any store (Asian stores for the best price I'd guess) and buy a bag of black seeds and a bag of white seeds and mix them together yourself for a fraction of the price.
Thanks. I wish I could go to an Asian store and pick them up. None here. When I do get to Toronto I can spend the whole afternoon browsing at T&T.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9826 posts
887 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
May 18th, 2016 1:05 pm
Thanks. I wish I could go to an Asian store and pick them up. None here. When I do get to Toronto I can spend the whole afternoon browsing at T&T.
If you can't find them at T&T, then try Korean markets like PAT or Galleria. I know for sure they sell them there.

On a side note, have you ever tried toasting them? So much tastier.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
May 18th, 2016 2:31 pm
If you can't find them at T&T, then try Korean markets like PAT or Galleria. I know for sure they sell them there.

On a side note, have you ever tried toasting them? So much tastier.
I often toast them just on a plate in the microwave. They take on a nuttier taste.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
May 18th, 2016 3:32 pm
I often toast them just on a plate in the microwave. They take on a nuttier taste.
ever try shichimi togarashi? it has black and white sesame seeds along with a few other spices to jazz it up.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
May 18th, 2016 4:00 pm
ever try shichimi togarashi? it has black and white sesame seeds along with a few other spices to jazz it up.
It's delicious. A little hint of heat and some nice citrus in the mix!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
Got my black sesame seeds at a natural foods store, they're Organic! Lol.

Now I'll mix them together in a shaker bottle I emptied out.

I remembered the brand was Bento, and emailed them. They said they are in the process of redesigning the product and it is not available right now. If anybody else is looking for it. Thanks for all the ideas of where to find the black sesame seeds and alternatives.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
Walmart carries the McCormick black sesame seeds at $4.97. Horrid spice but never discount them for spices because their Great Value line is supplied by McCormicks. They have a few deals like 250g black pepper $6.50, they have thyme and dill in bulk bags for $1.50-2 (and this usually isn't in the supermarket lineup). Always worth checking them out.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
lecale wrote:
May 19th, 2016 1:00 pm
Walmart carries the McCormick black sesame seeds at $4.97. Horrid spice but never discount them for spices because their Great Value line is supplied by McCormicks. They have a few deals like 250g black pepper $6.50, they have thyme and dill in bulk bags for $1.50-2 (and this usually isn't in the supermarket lineup). Always worth checking them out.
I never would have thought to look for black sesame seeds in the spice rack, but, as you posted, there they were. $4.97 for 55 gms.!! I thought the $6.20 I paid for 250 gms, of Organic Black Sesame seeds was exorbitant.

While looking at the McCormick line noticed they now offer a Cocoa Chile Powder Blend. Have to hand it to them, they do follow trends.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
May 19th, 2016 12:48 pm
Got my black sesame seeds at a natural foods store, they're Organic! Lol.
I'm too late, but have you heard of Yupik? I saw some of their stuff on Amazon. I've never bought anything from them myself so I can't say if they are any good. They have a store in Montreal and sell all kinds of stuff.

https://www.yupik.ca/products/9882-BLACK-SESAME-SEEDS/

A kilo from Amazon is around $12.50 and free shipping over$25

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NAU9GMK
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
May 20th, 2016 12:30 am
I never would have thought to look for black sesame seeds in the spice rack, but, as you posted, there they were. $4.97 for 55 gms.!! I thought the $6.20 I paid for 250 gms, of Organic Black Sesame seeds was exorbitant.

While looking at the McCormick line noticed they now offer a Cocoa Chile Powder Blend. Have to hand it to them, they do follow trends.
Latest trends for your amusement from http://www.mccormickgourmet.ca/en-ca/

Cinammon Seasoning with Chia (cinnamon, chia seed, nutmeg, natural flavour (contains milk), black pepper.)

Italian Seasoning with Flax (dehydrated vegetables (garlic, onion, red bell pepper), spices and herbs (including red pepper), flax seed, high oleic sunflower oil, spice extractives.)

Matcha Green Tea and Ginger Seasoning (matcha green tea, rice flour, sugar, ginger, natural flavour (contains milk), coconut, corn maltodextrin, modified corn starch.)

Sriracha Seasoning
(SPICES (INCLUDING RED PEPPER), SUGAR, SALT, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, CITRIC ACID, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, SPICE EXTRACTIVES, CAYENNE PEPPER SAUCE (SALT, SPICES, VINEGAR, DEHYDRATED GARLIC), NATURAL FLAVOUR, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, VINEGAR SOLIDS, CALCIUM SILICATE, SILICON DIOXIDE.)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
Cheap wrote:
May 20th, 2016 1:08 am
I'm too late, but have you heard of Yupik? I saw some of their stuff on Amazon. I've never bought anything from them myself so I can't say if they are any good. They have a store in Montreal and sell all kinds of stuff.

I've bought Yupik and it was good and I have/will buy again. Not a kilo of black sesame seed though ;)
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
Cheap wrote:
May 20th, 2016 1:08 am

Nope, I had never heard of Yupik. Thank you for posting it. I'm looking forward to exploring their product selection.

I find there just aren't enough companies doing online food product orders in Canada. It's great to hear of another option.

When I wanted Gochujang sauce I had to order from the States and it took quite awhile to get here.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
May 20th, 2016 2:03 pm
Nope, I had never heard of Yupik. Thank you for posting it. I'm looking forward to exploring their product selection.

I find there just aren't enough companies doing online food product orders in Canada. It's great to hear of another option.

When I wanted Gochujang sauce I had to order from the States and it took quite awhile to get here.
Yupik is available thru Amazon too
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6211 posts
1110 upvotes
Mr. Goudas Barbados Hot Sauce!!! Can't find it anywhere. Please post if you see it anywhere.

I bought Matouks Calypso but it's not quite mustardy enough.