Food & Drink

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 11:49 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6712 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 9:57 pm
Mr. Goudas Barbados Hot Sauce!!! Can't find it anywhere. Please post if you see it anywhere.

I bought Matouks Calypso but it's not quite mustardy enough.
I never bought the Barbados hot sauce because it looked too mustardy.

Now that it's Caribana , you may find Caribbean offerings at stores like Walmart, food Basics and Metro.

If it's been discontinued, only Asian stores may have old stock on their shelves.

Is it the Nupak brand you are looking for?

Nupak has discontinued some of their products it seems.

Like their dried pigeon peas which was a hot seller.

As far as Matouks, only one I like is the West Indian hot sauce with chunks of papaya.

It's what I have with my Fried chicken.

Chiefs has a yellow mustardy sauce but I don't like the taste of chief products.

They are watery and full of fillers it seems.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 12:49 am

As far as Matouks, only one I like is the West Indian hot sauce with chunks of papaya.

It's what I have with my Fried chicken.
Thanks.

That's a funny coincidence. I just bought that one yesterday when I got the Matouk's Calypso sauce. And had it on a fried chicken sandwich. Looks like I might have to put in an order to Chilly Chiles in Ottawa, they have a few brands of Barbados sauce, including Lottie's which is very good.

Wish I could also find the Windmill brand somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6712 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 10:44 am
Thanks.

That's a funny coincidence. I just bought that one yesterday when I got the Matouk's Calypso sauce. And had it on a fried chicken sandwich. Looks like I might have to put in an order to Chilly Chiles in Ottawa, they have a few brands of Barbados sauce, including Lottie's which is very good.

Wish I could also find the Windmill brand somewhere.
Lolz. You're a true food adventurer.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 11:30 am
Lolz. You're a true food adventurer.
;-) People were saying that when I was buying oysters from WalMart. Lol!! Too bad they're not getting them anymore, they were cheaper than anywhere else.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3755 posts
1209 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
bonterra wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 6:07 pm
;-) People were saying that when I was buying oysters from WalMart. Lol!! Too bad they're not getting them anymore, they were cheaper than anywhere else.
You just have to watch out for the cottonseed oil so your appetizer is not like an engine change...otherwise cheap smoked mussels and oysters are fair game. There are always coupons at Christmastime ;)

(EDIT: mmm, cheap smoked bivalve, mashed with Worcestershire sauce, lemon and minced onion, paprika and cream cheese, spread on hot buttered rye toast.)
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 6:26 pm
You just have to watch out for the cottonseed oil so your appetizer is not like an engine change...otherwise cheap smoked mussels and oysters are fair game. There are always coupons at Christmastime ;)

(EDIT: mmm, cheap smoked bivalve, mashed with Worcestershire sauce, lemon and minced onion, paprika and cream cheese, spread on hot buttered rye toast.)
These were boxes of live oysters. I think the price was $11.99 for 33. As long as they got them in, I bought them. Didn't get a bad one once.

I was also buying the canned when they were a buck a can or so.
May 28, 2012
9389 posts
1755 upvotes
Saskatoon
I can't find the 1.89 L jugs of Kikkoman soy sauce in the two places I used to buy it: Costco and RCSS. Anyone know if that size was discontinued?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2876 posts
449 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 10:45 pm
I can't find the 1.89 L jugs of Kikkoman soy sauce in the two places I used to buy it: Costco and RCSS. Anyone know if that size was discontinued?
I noticed that too! I'd been buying it at Costco and RCSS (when it was on sale there, typically at $4.98) for years. Then a few months ago, Costco switched to San J's Tamari (organic and wheat/gluten free) which meant the price per L tripled. Yikes! I filled in a Comment Card to voice my disappointment.

After it disappeared from Costco, I looked for it in RCSS. Gone! But Metro still has it - but it's priced at something ridiculous like $10.99. Could certainly be that the size is discontinued and Metro just has old stock. I wasn't going to pay that so checked a few other stores for the jugs - none found.

Fortunately for me, last month when I was getting desperate, I found the 591mL bottles on sale at RCSS - $1.94ea down from regular price of $3.99ea. That's equivalent to $6.20 for the 1.89L jug - not as cheap as before but I realized probably the best I'd manage. I bought 4 bottles, so I'm good for a while!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9757 posts
846 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen those sizes at Asian markets, so I don't think they discontinued the size, but rather weren't good enough sellers for Costco and RCSS to continue selling them.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11052 posts
1496 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 1:00 pm
Mars2012 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen those sizes at Asian markets, so I don't think they discontinued the size, but rather weren't good enough sellers for Costco and RCSS to continue selling them.
The sales were most likely good, but sometimes other companies pay big bucks for shelf space to get their product in there.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4547 posts
140 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
I think I saw it at Chef Depot
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1327 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
Been searching for red-tinned, pull-tab Moroccan sardines: specifically, Marock brand in tomato sauce (which are actually from Morocco).

NOT Titus, Sumaco, Ligo, etc. that are from other countries (Portugal, Thailand, etc.). Haven't been able to find them for months at the typical Asian supermarkets (T&T, Super King, B-Trust, Blue Sky, Jian Hing, Oceans, etc.)

Home automation, CanadaHiFi Magazine, photography, EVs.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
Can't find my favourite tortilla chip, Tostitos Artisan Fire Roasted Chipotle. It seems to have been replaced with Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Salsa flavour. Hope it'll be back, it's disappeared for a few months on other occasions.

Also looking for PC Chicken Dumplings/Potstickers. My Superstore only has vegetable, Independent doesn't have any of the three flavours, pork, vegetable or chicken. I like the size of the bag and often have points offers for vegetable/sides. Guess I'll have to get the huge bag of potstickers from Costco. Anybody have a brand of chicken potstickers to recommend?

I've noticed the PC Memories of Tunisia Harissa sauce on clearance at a couple of stores. Might want to stock up if you like it.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9757 posts
846 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 1:00 pm
Funny that this thread was bumped. I was at PAT Korean food market last night. While browsing the various aisles, my eyes fixated on the 1.89L Kikkoman Soy Sauce. I was wondering why and then I remembered this thread. I'm 6 months late, but confirmed... 1.89L Kikkoman Soy Sauce is not discontinued.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2144 posts
280 upvotes
Orleans
Previously sold at Costco : Philippine Brand Dried Coconut

Wish I could find it somewhere else