Food & Drink

The "I can't find __ any more" thread (for food products recently found unavailable)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 12:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7318 posts
804 upvotes
GTA
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 24th, 2010 1:18 am
Here's another one:

A bit of background on this one: Silani mozzarella balls are and have been available in most of my local supermarkets for some time now, and were, until a few months ago, sold in individual 340g pouches (ranging in price from $4.49 at Longos to $5.49 each at Metro). Costco, however, sold a 3-pack strip of smaller individually-packaged balls (280g x 3 = 840g total weight), and they were super value at $7.99 when I started buying them last March. They were even better value when Costco's priced dropped to $6.99 in late June/early July. I was happy to see that it remained at that price-point as buying them at this price at Costco saved me 37% off the best supermarket price in my area!

But a month or 2 ago, I went to Costco to buy some more and oh no!... they were not in their usual home. In fact, they were NOWHERE to be found! Aagh!

I held off for a week or 2, but still they had not re-appeared, so in desperation I started comparing prices during my normal weekly supermarket rounds. To my surprise, *everywhere* was now carrying the (individually-packaged) product in a tiny 260g package, for around the same price they had all been charging not even a year ago for 340g!

I paid $4.99 for a 260g ball (equivalent to $1.92 per 100g vs $0.83 per 100g @ Costco), and then after my last visit to Costco and still coming up empty handed, sent off an email to Silani to find out what was going on. They replied quickly, but (sadly for me) confirmed that Costco had been the only retailer carrying the mozzarella ball 3-pack and that Costco has recently discontinued placing orders for it, meaning that the 3-pack product is now effectively unavailable anywhere/everywhere. :(

Costco does sell still sell Mozzarella in bulk but it's huge single-block packages weighing in at (IIRC) 1.1kg and 2.3kg, and the value is not even anywhere near so good (I believe they was $12.50 and $22 or $23 respectively, so 20%+ more expensive than the 3-packs). I also find that re-wrapping cheese at home is never as successful at keeping the mold/dryness away as when it's vacuum-packed at the factory, so buying such large blocks of cheese is not something I'm all that interested in.

If there's a consolation, it's that FreshCo (Sobey's 'budget' supermarket) [link] now has a number of stores across Ontario and frequently has (Silani brand) mozzarella on special - last week and this upcoming week for instance, a 260g ball is/was on special for just $1.77 -- which is 18% better than Costco's Silani 3-pack ever was. (It's equivalent to a price of $5.70 for the 3x 280g pack).

It's just a shame that's not a REGULAR price!

I don't think it would necessarily cause them to disappear for this amount of time, but there was a recall, specifically for the 340 g product, in April. I would think by now they would be back on the shelf, but perhaps the recall has had some impact on the 340 g packages? Of course, if you have bought the 340 g packaging after April, it doesn't explain it. It was a specific UPC recall with a best before date of 2011 MR 01:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/cor ... 01ce.shtml

Edit: I just noticed your post was actually confirming that Costco pack has been discontinued. Oh well, there is a little more background on the 340 g!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6675 posts
1343 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2010 6:06 pm
RFD'er 'bonterra' had previously said he/she couldn't find the 'Blue Menu' nog anywhere this year.
ANYONE seen it?
Thanks for posting this query. I still haven't found it anywhere and, judging from the lack of posters saying they found it somewhere, it just isn't available.

The item I couldn't find today was Lindt White Chocolate. Everywhere I looked (Wal-Mart, Metro, Shoppers) had the same selection and didn't include the white version. My Cranberry Bliss Bars just aren't going to be the same without it.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Spagettios
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1995
- USED TO BUY IT AT: all gorcery stores
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: everywhere I go

M&M Pizza Rolls
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1yr ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: M&M Meats
Mar 3, 2008
602 posts
261 upvotes
The biggest one I miss is Oroweat's Australian Toaster Biscuits. I used to love those things.

The last time I had them was in the late 90's. I think you could buy them from Safeway before. I always look for them but I never find them. I assume that they have been discontinued since then BUT I am hoping someone may know where to find them.
Think much, speak little, write less.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3956 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I am looking for a store that had Wonder Bread "Thins" when I need them. It seems that they are very sporatic in carrying it. They have it one week and not the next so I usually buy it 5 loafs at a time and freeze it. Seems I can only find it at Great Canadian now.

The other thing I need is Gatorade crystals. No frills had them as did other stores at 4.59 per container. Now the only place I can find it is Great Canadian at 6.50 per can.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2883 posts
472 upvotes
(note: I fixed the spelling & added image & formatting)
taylyn wrote:
Dec 24th, 2010 1:51 am
SpaghettiO's
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1995
- USED TO BUY IT AT: all grocery stores
- PRODUCT IMAGE:
"SpaghettiO's' is still produced in the USA by Campbell's Soups (used to be produced by 'Franco American'), but there is no mention of it on Campbell's Canada website. (Perhaps that's a good thing, as 15,000,000lbs of the stuff was recalled in the USA this past June -- the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CIFA) said at the time that none of the product had been available in Canada [source]).

I have contacted both Campbell's Soup USA and Canada for more information as to why it was discontinued here. Meanwhile, I found a post on ChowHound.com from November 2010 [link] that reported that SpaghettiO's *were* recently found available at a store in Toronto, at:
Seaport Merchants - Newfoundland Foods
Address: 1101 Victoria Park Avenue, tel: (416) 755-9960
Google streetview screencap:

Also, interestingly, in October 2009, a product comparison done on the snack-related blog site http://www.secondratesnacks.com between SpaghettiO's and Chef Boyardee mini spaghetti rings declared the Chef Boyardee product better. In Canada, the product is known as 'Chef Boyardee Minis Spaghetti Rings with Meatballs' [link]. You might want to try that and see if it's to your liking as an acceptable substitute. (Apparently others elsewhere in the US are saying that since Campbell's took over the SpaghettiO's brand, its quality has gone downhill).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2883 posts
472 upvotes
(note I've added formatting to the following quoted item):
taylyn wrote:
Dec 24th, 2010 1:51 am
M&M's Pizza Rolls
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 1 yr ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: M&M Meats
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: everywhere I go

M&M's is no longer carrying this product, but I do know that it was produced for them by 'Food Rolls Sales Ltd.' of Niagara Falls, ON., who produce a number of foodstuffs for various 'private label' brands. I've contacted them to see if they can suggest substitute.

edit: I haven't heard back from 'Food Roll Sales' yet but the Assistant Buyer for 'M&M Meat Shops' wrote back and said:
M&M Meat Shops, Dec 2010 wrote: Unfortunately, this product was discontinued because our supplier was no longer able to make this product for us. We are in the process of finding a new supplier. I cannot tell you when this product will be available, as we are still looking for a new supplier.
In the meantime, I came across a food blogger named Katrina who was also missing the Pizza Rolls product from M&M's and who decided to take matters into her own hands and come up with a home-made recipe. If you're so inclined, here's a link to her recipe: http://alittlenorthofcrazy.blogspot.com ... rolls.html
photo source: http://alittlenorthofcrazy.blogspot.com
Dec 24, 2008
149 posts
12 upvotes
Hamilton
sonic wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 11:06 am
Last yr i was addicted to Presedents choice frozen "Bread pudding"....cant find it now!....whats up with that?? Ive looked in No frills/metro & fortinos.

I had that for the first time this year. My mom found it in the superstore, so its still around.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2883 posts
472 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 27th, 2010 1:57 am
"SpaghettiO's' is still produced in the USA by Campbell's Soups (used to be produced by 'Franco American'), but there is no mention of it on Campbell's Canada website. <SNIP>

I have contacted both Campbell's Soup USA and Canada for more information as to why it was discontinued here.
Though I'd sent my respective enquiries via webforms found on the CampbellSoup '.ca" and ".com" websites, the 2 emailed replies I've now received were both from "Campbell Soup Company Web Team", sent from the same email server, using c/s Reference #s that were in direct succession (and sent with 1 minute of each other) - indicating that both US & Canadian customer enquiries are handled by the same central customer-service centre.

Nothing really surprising about that... unless, that is, they're giving out conflicting information. :facepalm:

The reply to my CampbellSoup.com (US) enquiry: (bold/red formatting added by me)
Campbell Soup Company wrote: Unfortunately, we do not produce or sell this product in Canada as our research indicates there would not be sufficient demand at the present time. You will appreciate that it is only through large volume production and distribution that we are able to sell our products through normal marketing channels at a reasonable cost to consumers. We will, however, continue to evaluate the market and your interest is sincerely appreciated.
The :facepalm: reply to my CampbellSoup.ca enquiry: (bold/red formatting added by me)
Campbell Soup Company wrote: Currently Franco-American SpaghettiOs is being manufactured and distributed in your area. If you do not see this product on the shelf we suggest you bring this to the attention of the grocery store manager who can order this product from the Campbell Company of Canada Sales Representative.
I've replied and am looking forward to their follow-ups.. :lol:

edit: Dec 30th, received follow-up reply - confirming what we knew to be true already...
Campbell Soup Company wrote: This product is not available in Canada.

We do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you on this issue.
Mar 22, 2010
400 posts
7 upvotes
Longos (at least the one in Maple) Has red & white Unico wine vinegar 1.99

RenegadeX wrote:
Dec 8th, 2010 11:39 am
Every now and again, I'll be going around the supermarket and notice that a certain item that I used to buy is no longer available. Sure, sometimes there's a temporary supply/re-supply issue with a product but usually if you're patient, a few weeks later, there it'll be again in its usual spot on the shelf. But sometimes, they just never do ever re-appear (oh no!). And sometimes months later, you'll be surprised & relieved to suddenly come across it at a different supermarket. And sometimes, you'll just never see it again, anywhere. This thread is therefore for any of those items that you believe, know or suspect *are* still in production but for whatever reason seem to have disappeared from your local supermarket's shelves -- and not come back.

With the help of the RFD community perhaps we can find out whether an item's lack of availability is locally-isolated or widespread -- and in some cases, identify a chain or specific store that still carries it (a *confirmed sighting*!). Or, perhaps if one of us has actually contacted the manufacturer, they confirm for the RFD community that the product has been indeed been permanently discontinued.
:idea:

To help give the thread a bit of a uniform look and hopefully to save you a bit of time if you're adding a new item to the thread, I'm going to provide a pre-formatted template for you to use.[indent]Just Copy & Paste the text in the code-block below to your Reply and edit the fields as needed:
[php][/php]
note: Of course, posting an image is not mandatory but it is helpful as it will help readers know what you're actually talking about. We might not have ever bought the item but we might recognize its package. If you're not posting an image, please be sure to delete the relevant section from the template before posting.[/indent]

I'll start it off with a few items that I can think of off the top of my head:

Anyone seen any of those items recently?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2883 posts
472 upvotes
Keelenorth wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 8:57 pm
Longos (at least the one in Maple) Has red & white Unico wine vinegar 1.99
Thanks - I'll check my local Longo's. Unico has not written back yet..
Nov 15, 2006
900 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Schidlers Grill Ems - Italian Flavour (Green package)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 6 months ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: Metro, Price Choppers, Sobeys
- IVE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above, and every other bloody store.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14371 posts
122 upvotes
Mississauga
Franks Chile Lime sauce..just when I discovered it rocks on popcorn !

Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 5:55 pm
Franks Chile Lime sauce..just when I discovered it rocks on popcorn !

Mmmmm... I love sauces on popcorn.
Dec 30, 2010
2 posts
Ottawa Valley, Ontar…
IRN-BRU (341- or 500 mL bottles)
- LAST SEEN APPROXIMATELY: 8 months ago
- USED TO BUY IT AT: various Loblaws, No Frills, Superstore, Zehrs locations
- I'VE RECENTLY LOOKED FOR IT AT, UNSUCCESSFULLY: All of the above and others likely to carry it (Metro/Food Basics, Sobeys/Price Chopper, Walmart)
- PRODUCT IMAGE:

Got hooked on this popular Scottish pop thanks to my Gr. 3 teacher (1991-92 school year) who was from Scotland. These days, the closest store I know of that still sells it (I'm in the Ottawa Valley) is the Superstore in Westboro... Loblaws in Kanata used to have it. Last couple of times I've found it were at No Frills in Picton about a year and a half ago, and this past April at Zehrs in Kincardine, while in the area on business. Other than that, it's just about impossible to find Irn-Bru and other A.G. Barr stuff in these parts...

If you know of anywhere in the Ottawa area (or Peterborough, Kingston or Barrie areas) that still sells Irn-Bru and you can confirm the availability, please let me know!