Food & Drink

I was charged full HST for prepared food under $4 today.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 6:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2010
6 posts
20 upvotes
GTA

I was charged full HST for prepared food under $4 today.

Was this legal? Or is there something wrong with the restaurant's system?

Have attached a pic of the receipt.

I even spoke to the manager and politely asked him about it, and instead of being apologetic, he was adamant it was totally fine and that they have been doing it for years! I know it's a question of a few cents, but just curious what the laws state etc, and if there's any repercussions for the restaurant to have been doing this for years, and to god knows how many people?
I wouldn't care if the manager would at least acknowledge it's an issue, but his attitude was what annoyed me, and got me even more curious about it?
Images
  • IMG_7612.JPG
44 replies
[OP]
Nov 8, 2010
6 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
I realized I hadn't mentioned this, but this was in Ontario. Mississauga, Ontario to be specific.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Oh the horror
[OP]
Nov 8, 2010
6 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
FreshCo wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 9:25 pm
RIP OP's life savings.
It isn't about that. It's about the fact that they were insistent that they've been doing it for years and that they've been doing nothing wrong at all. That's what got to me. It's the principle of it and the attitude towards it, rather than the amount.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1643 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener
Good point. They're making extra profit. Report them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comment ... n_ontario/

There is no provincial ST charged on any restaurant meal that is less than $4.00 making it effectively 5% as opposed to 13% what you pay if your bill crosses $4 threshold. I think it was a move to protect poor back in days when restaurant meals would have been available under $4. But in today's times when the food inflation has risen so much that you can barely get anything that can be qualified as a 'meal' for $4.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2010
6 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
sam123 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 9:44 pm

There is no provincial ST charged on any restaurant meal that is less than $4.00 making it effectively 5% as opposed to 13% what you pay if your bill crosses $4 threshold. I think it was a move to protect poor back in days when restaurant meals would have been available under $4. But in today's times when the food inflation has risen so much that you can barely get anything that can be qualified as a 'meal' for $4.
How so?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13943 posts
885 upvotes
sam123 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 9:44 pm

The post above yours answered the question. Coffee alone isn't a meal. 13% is correct. There is nothing to report.
Last edited by Ojam on Sep 30th, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7559 posts
1002 upvotes
Toronto
I wish I cared enough to be as vigilant as some of you guys. I have no idea what tax should be applied to what food items lol. Is there an easy-to-read guide somewhere?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20961 posts
1907 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 9:54 pm
The post above yours answered the question. Coffee alone isn't a meal. 13% is correct. There is nothing to report.
Incorrect. Meals is a broad term and includes coffee:

The following goods are qualifying prepared food and beverages for purposes of the rebate:

food or beverages heated for consumption;
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20961 posts
1907 upvotes
manutdcanada wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 9:49 pm
How so?
Its not illegal for the restaurant to collect the full HST; it then becomes your job to file form GST189 to receive the rebate. I would be interested to see if you receive a direct deposit for the few cents.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8061 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto
#FirstWorldProblems

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 28, 2011
374 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Let's say it was a huge fast food restaurant with hundreds of locations that did this, say even Timmies that collects extra 8% on every coffee

You guys wouldn't care?

I agree with OP its the principle that they are not following the tax rules be it one mom and pop shop or a multi billion dollar fast food company
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
235 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Kasakato wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 10:50 pm
Incorrect. Meals is a broad term and includes coffee:

The following goods are qualifying prepared food and beverages for purposes of the rebate:

food or beverages heated for consumption;
McDonald's charges full hst on pop too