Cell Phones

I chose the Samsung Galaxy S3 over the LG Nexus 4

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2012 3:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8845 posts
119 upvotes
I'm glad my N4 is on order even if its back ordered... I had a GS 1 which has clear burn in issues and my Galaxy Nexus suffers from burn in also. Until they get it right, no more LED for me.
it's me ramin.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10027 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm leaning toward the S3 as well. I don't like using a case and the N4 has glass on the back that is just begging to be shattered - it was stupid design decision on the iPhone 4/4S and it's stupid on the N4. Also, the battery life doesn't appear to be very good and you can't get an extra/better battery for it either. The SD card slot and LTE option are nice to have and it's a popular phone so there's lots of ROMs available so I won't have to use TouchWiz.

Really I'm only losing out on the screen and the price... assuming I could even get one from Google rather than on the reseller market. Unless anyone else has an additional argument to convince me otherwise?
Apr 23, 2011
902 posts
112 upvotes
TORONTO
D3lit3 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 7:25 pm
Someone's butthurt he didn't get to order the superior N4 and now is trying to justify it with a Samdung.

This just in: Bloated phones and touchwiz still suck.

Have fun with your pentile AMOLED.
have you even seen pentile AMOLED screens?
[OP]
Nov 13, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Amourek wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 3:01 am
I'm leaning toward the S3 as well... Really I'm only losing out on the screen and the price... assuming I could even get one from Google rather than on the reseller market. Unless anyone else has an additional argument to convince me otherwise?
You're also losing out on the fastest updates, Roms notwithstanding. Its a Google phone through and through. But I look back at the GNexus and the GS2. They've run comparable software thanks to the dev community. So perhaps you just lose a few months in terms of updates.

I'd rather have the hardware features than than the software.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
4713 posts
252 upvotes
Coquitlam
i still fail to see the benefit of being able to shout "first!" when a OS update comes out. 99% of my time is using apps, not going through phone settings. I dunno why some people are so hyped about getting updates first.

as long as i dont get crashes and it runs smooth, i can wait 3 months for updates.

I run customs roms anyways so "pure" Android is useless to me. de-bloated is good tho.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
MY EBAY FEEDBACK
Apr 23, 2011
902 posts
112 upvotes
TORONTO
madman604 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 9:30 am
i still fail to see the benefit of being able to shout "first!" when a OS update comes out. 99% of my time is using apps, not going through phone settings. I dunno why some people are so hyped about getting updates first.

as long as i dont get crashes and it runs smooth, i can wait 3 months for updates.

I run customs roms anyways so "pure" Android is useless to me. de-bloated is good tho.
it's not so much about getting it first, as much as being REALLY SLOW to update.

what are we... on android 4.2? some samsung devices still only have 4.0 or even 3.2 official. The hardware can run 4.2 just fine, so people keep asking "what's the holdup?"
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2505 posts
169 upvotes
I am currently a iPhone 5 user but if I ever lost my iPhone and in need of a replacement phone (without signing a new contract), I would definitely get the Nexus 4.

Nexus 4 is dirt cheap for a unlock phone, but without LTE and SD card slot, that really blows... If one were to sign a contract anyways, I would definitely consider a phone that's heavily discounted such as Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5. When you sign a contract, you need some kind of benefits!

Being a iPhone 5 user, people always put a sticker thinking I am a fanboy. Well, I am not. My view with iPhone 5 is two-third financial reasons: 1. Most subsidized phone on the market if sign with contract, meaning I get great discount! I paid $129 plus tax for a $699 retail phone. Beat out all others that I can think of in terms of discount. 2. Due to so many Apple fanboy out there, iPhone has best resell value on the market, so I get my money back (example: i bought a used iphone 4 for $360, used it, and sold it right before iphone 5 came out for $360! I also did this with ipad 2, ipod nano! I only lost $10 in total with all my Apple investment.). So having so many fanboy is a good thing. 3. Lastly, I use andriod before and I simply like iOS better. It just work very well IMO.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
madman604 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 9:30 am
i still fail to see the benefit of being able to shout "first!" when a OS update comes out. 99% of my time is using apps...
Some Android app features require the latest OS. Again, custom Roms do help... so good point.
Nov 19, 2005
930 posts
69 upvotes
I picked up a Note II International instead of the Nexus 4. This thing screams.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
aeobikes wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 3:15 am
They are nothing impressive. This from someone who has used them for two years. The technology is yet to evolve further. LCD is much further overall.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Nov 5, 2009
270 posts
24 upvotes
dreamwalker wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 10:40 am
I picked up a Note II International instead of the Nexus 4. This thing screams.
This is another story. Getting a Note 2 over the 4 is an honorable decision and one with merit.

But a Galaxy S3? Really? That ***** was released like half a year ago.

You know it's too old to be rocking when radio stations have commercials on the S3. Radio stations are light years behind.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
...okay, so I've dishonoured my family by grabbing the S3 for cheaper than the Nexus 4. Sarcasm aside, it is okay to not have the latest piece of gadgetry. Huawei Summit was released last month, but I doubt anyone would suggest it would be an honourable decision and one with merit.

And I don't even know why people are taking exception to my preference for the S3 over the Nexus 4. I want expandable storage and LTE. Nexus 4 doesn't give it. Conversation done, no? Lay off the kool-aid and enjoy your own phone.
May 10, 2010
171 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
The screen on the S3 is still fantastic, and overall the phone can still compete. The differences between the N4 and S3 should make it an easy call for people. As much as people like to bash touch wiz it does provide some very useful features.

I loved my S3 and adore my note 2. As always get the best device for your needs.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1384 posts
181 upvotes
I love my Note II; however, if it came down to the Nexus 4 or the S3, I could possibly see myself opting for the latter. The reason for that is: LTE and microSD space. As much as people wanna deny it.. it's 2012 and LTE is pretty much a mandatory requirement now.

With that being said, the DC-HSPA+ is still fairly decent for many users.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8845 posts
119 upvotes
aeobikes wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 3:15 am
Yes, Burn in, regardless of pixel arrangement. LED screens are good for when you're wearing polarized sunglasses, thats it..
it's me ramin.
× < >