Page 1 of 2

I chose the Samsung Galaxy S3 over the LG Nexus 4

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 2:01 pm
by GDoxta
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 and chose it over the Nexus 4, due, in part, to circumstances. But hindsight being 20/20, I think I made the right choice.

Long time Android user. I had the G1, Magic, and went to BB for a bit, then returned to the HTC EVO3D. It's time for a new phone. That being said, I HUP'd to the EVO3D in October 2011 with a 3 year contract, so I wasn't eligible for a subsidized phone this time around.

My EVO3D is running CM10 and I love Google Now. I didn't want to lose that feature or the ability to keep up with Android updates. So the Nexus 4 is the perfect match, right? I'm investing in this phone with the understanding that I'll keep it for at least 2 years. Nexus always gets the newest updates. And its only $310! What else could I ask for?

How about storage space? I love the pricing of the Nexus 4, but I wouldn't risk getting the 8GB version. First, you don't get the whole 8GB when its formatted. Secondly, even if the entire 8GB was available, that would not leave much space for music, video, photos, and applications. Sure, I could transfer them to my computer or to the cloud. But why not just have it on the phone? I realize that dropbox might offer some relief from the storage issue, but what about when I don't have a decent connection to the Internet? 8GB is not enough. And so I'd have to get the 16GB version of the Nexus 4. Well, now we're talking about $360+tax = $406.80. And that doesn't account for shipping (yes, I know its been waived now).

So now I'm paying upwards of $400, which is getting close to the cost of a used Samsung Galaxy S3.

But I want this phone for the next two years. And I'm starting to think about Internet speeds in the future. I don't mind HSPA+. I'm with Rogers. It'll be like max 21mbps, but that translates into 2-8mbps in practice. Again, not a big problem. Except that my HTC EVO3D is HSPA+ and I have problems streaming Youtube on occasion. It kind of sucks that my smartphone is sometimes too slow to be smart. I don't really watch Youtube that often, but when I do watch it, I want to be able to stream HD. So Nexus 4 doesn't satisfy that need for me to the same degree that an LTE phone would. And for the Nexus 4 I'm paying close to the same price as a used Samsung Galaxy S3.

But why is the Samsung Galaxy S3 so special? I mean besides the 16GB standard and LTE? Well, it also has a huuuuge dev community. So I'm guaranteed the latest updates (within a reasonable time). But the Samsung Galaxy S3 isn't quadcore like the Nexus 4.

But do I need Quadcore? Maybe in two years right? I don't know. But I do know that I need storage (and the option to expand beyond 16GB if I so feel the need). And I do know that I want LTE speeds (especially since it doesn't cost me anymore).

But the Nexus 4 is $400! Screw it, I'm getting it on November 13 at 12:00 p.m.

Fast-forward to November 13 at 11:47 a.m. I log into the Play Store. What the heck?! Its on sale already? Okay, grab the 16GB. Grab it! I try. I swear I try. I mean its in my cart. I've clicked checkout. I know I have competition, so for God's sake, I'm trying. Google tells me there's an error. Okay, I'll try again. It will sell-out. It did as much in the UK this morning. I know, because I checked at 3:00 a.m. to be sure it wasn't on sale. And I checked at 8:00 a.m. when the U.K. was already sold out. And here I am at 11:48 a.m. struggling to get my piece of the Nexus pie.

Alas, its in my cart again. The 16GB version. And I click checkout, but Google has a problem with my transaction. Why? It's Google. They own the Web. Or at least they understand how to handle high traffic. Look at their flagship gateway. It gets billions of visits a year (maybe more!). Why is this happening?

I try again. But I can't. Because the phone that was for sale is now all of a sudden coming soon. Which is hogwash, right? It was here. It might be coming back soon, but its already came. Is it sold out? Let's try the 8GB. I mean I really want to win this competition. So screw it, I'll take any Nexus.

There's still the 8GB. Ahhh... reason intercedes. I don't want the 8GB. It's not enough space. Plus I've done the math. The phone plus $20 in shipping plus tax means I'm still paying $370. I could get a 16GB LTE Samsung S3 for around $450. I might even be able to get Rogers to bend the rules for me and offer me a slightly discounted S3 for less than $400.

So I don't pull the trigger. I try the 16GB again. No luck. Okay, maybe I'll get the Nexus 4 8GB and try it out. If I don't like it I can sell it, right? Dang. It's sold out.

Okay. Screw it. I'll get the 16GB phone with LTE and expandable memory. I'll install a JB ROM on it. And I'll enjoy the phone without waiting a few days for delivery.

And I do. I'm charging the phone as I type. And I'm relieved to know I'm not waiting weeks for my back-ordered phone that was sold as in stock.

I'm not upset at Google. If it were a bricks and mortar sale, I would have had to wait in line for hours without the guarantee of getting the Nexus. This time around, I just had to be cognizant of the time. So little lost except the opportunity to own the Nexus 4.

But I know there will be a new Nexus on the horizon. With LTE. Maybe not expandable memory. But I could live with 16GB.

So for now, I'm enjoying my Samsung Galaxy S3. Rogers bent the rules a bit. I'm back on a new 3 year contract (with my retentions plan). But I got a new phone 1 year into my 3 year plan. I paid less than $400 taxes in. So I figure I did okay.

I don't claim to say the Samsung Galaxy S3 is better than the Nexus 4. It just fits the bill for me better than the Nexus 4 does. And that's all that matters, right?

Re: I chose the Samsung Galaxy S3 over the LG Nexus 4

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 2:13 pm
by coriolis
The SGS3 is a good choice, two of my buddies have it and I envy the speed of it compared to my GNexus. It'll be interesting to compare it to my N4 when it arrives.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 2:20 pm
by Canuckers
Good choice. As good price/spec, personally it is still an LG... So I wouldn't trade my S3 for it.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 4:08 pm
by hakira
GDoxta wrote:
But I know there will be a new Nexus on the horizon. With LTE. Maybe not expandable memory. But I could live with 16GB.
Sure but that's next year :/ If google keeps with their (narrowing) vision it will not have a microsd and will probably still be stuck at 16gb, automatic no-buy for an increasing amount of people.

I'm looking at the Note 2 vs the S3 myself... the Note 2 has class leading hardware right now but it's quite a bit more expensive than an S3 and has way less dev support.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 4:27 pm
by mukhtar1982
You tried. You failed. You tried again. No dice still. You think "grapes are sour". You get the Samsung Galaxy s3 with an extension of your contract. Cool story, bro.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 4:37 pm
by desidealer49
mukhtar1982 wrote: You tried. You failed. You tried again. No dice still. You think "grapes are sour". You get the Samsung Galaxy s3 with an extension of your contract. Cool story, bro.
+1

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 5:07 pm
by BD006
desidealer49 wrote: +1
+2

Tl;dr

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 5:12 pm
by Menace
S3 with the stock ICS or JB 4.2 will be the best.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 7:25 pm
by D3lit3
Someone's butthurt he didn't get to order the superior N4 and now is trying to justify it with a Samdung.

This just in: Bloated phones and touchwiz still suck.

Have fun with your pentile AMOLED.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 7:29 pm
by GDoxta
mukhtar1982 wrote: You tried. You failed. You tried again. No dice still. You think "grapes are sour". You get the Samsung Galaxy s3 with an extension of your contract. Cool story, bro.
I don't think grapes are sour... or I'm not claiming the Nexus 4 isn't good. I said as much at the end of my cool story.

One of the biggest selling points of the Nexus 4 is fast updates. That's what made me like the phone first. But the phone doesn't meet some of my wants in certain areas. I want expandable storage. I want LTE. I don't want to feel like my phone is lacking features in a year.

But I admit, I wanted the Nexus. I couldn't have it and so I got the GS3. In hindsight, its the phone that best aligns with my needs anyway. So it worked out.

If the Nexus 4 had LTE, I think the storage issue would be less significant. But combined, no LTE and limited storage makes me admit the S3 is a better fit for me.

The fast updates of the Nexus still make it an appealing phone. The excellent build quality (at least as reported) makes it an appealing phone. The quadcore processor makes it an appealing phone.

But my assessment, in hindsight, makes me glad I got the Samsung S3.

I'm not saying the grapes are sour. I just decided to eat a kiwi. Some people like apples :) To each their own.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 7:33 pm
by D3lit3
GDoxta wrote: I don't think grapes are sour... or I'm not claiming the Nexus 4 isn't good. I said as much at the end of my cool story.

One of the biggest selling points of the Nexus 4 is fast updates. That's what made me like the phone first. But the phone doesn't meet some of my wants in certain areas. I want expandable storage. I want LTE. I don't want to feel like my phone is lacking features in a year.

But I admit, I wanted the Nexus. I couldn't have it and so I got the GS3. In hindsight, its the phone that best aligns with my needs anyway. So it worked out.

If the Nexus 4 had LTE, I think the storage issue would be less significant. But combined, no LTE and limited storage makes me admit the S3 is a better fit for me.

The fast updates of the Nexus still make it an appealing phone. The excellent build quality (at least as reported) makes it an appealing phone. The quadcore processor makes it an appealing phone.

But my assessment, in hindsight, makes me glad I got the Samsung S3.

I'm not saying the grapes are sour. I just decided to eat a kiwi. Some people like apples :) To each their own.
DUDE HOW DO YOU HANDLE THE ***** PIXELS THOUGH? It's ridiculous. Do you not use your phone's screen at all?

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 7:44 pm
by LegobrandonCP
I did the same yesterday! Planning to get CM10 on it, but I have no clue how.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 8:18 pm
by steve-0101
D3lit3 wrote: DUDE HOW DO YOU HANDLE THE ***** PIXELS THOUGH? It's ridiculous. Do you not use your phone's screen at all?
What exactly are you going on about?

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 8:24 pm
by shaolinmonk
Rather go with lucky gold star then the Samdung..

Vanilla android, screen and price seal the deal for me.

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 8:31 pm
by enhanced
D3lit3 wrote: Have fun with your pentile AMOLED.
Damn, bro, what an insult. OP got burned HARD.
D3lit3 wrote: DUDE HOW DO YOU HANDLE THE ***** PIXELS THOUGH? It's ridiculous. Do you not use your phone's screen at all?
steve-0101 wrote: What exactly are you going on about?
Not sure really, but I think he thinks the Galaxy Nexus' screen is like this:

[IMG]http://headshotsmarathon.org/home/wp-co ... an8bit.jpg[/IMG]

While the Nexus 4's screen is like:

[IMG]http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20Megaman/MegamanBig2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Nov 16th, 2012 9:33 pm
by Trooob
I'm glad my N4 is on order even if its back ordered... I had a GS 1 which has clear burn in issues and my Galaxy Nexus suffers from burn in also. Until they get it right, no more LED for me.

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 3:01 am
by Amourek
I'm leaning toward the S3 as well. I don't like using a case and the N4 has glass on the back that is just begging to be shattered - it was stupid design decision on the iPhone 4/4S and it's stupid on the N4. Also, the battery life doesn't appear to be very good and you can't get an extra/better battery for it either. The SD card slot and LTE option are nice to have and it's a popular phone so there's lots of ROMs available so I won't have to use TouchWiz.

Really I'm only losing out on the screen and the price... assuming I could even get one from Google rather than on the reseller market. Unless anyone else has an additional argument to convince me otherwise?

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 3:15 am
by aeobikes
D3lit3 wrote: Someone's butthurt he didn't get to order the superior N4 and now is trying to justify it with a Samdung.

This just in: Bloated phones and touchwiz still suck.

Have fun with your pentile AMOLED.
have you even seen pentile AMOLED screens?

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 9:00 am
by GDoxta
Amourek wrote: I'm leaning toward the S3 as well... Really I'm only losing out on the screen and the price... assuming I could even get one from Google rather than on the reseller market. Unless anyone else has an additional argument to convince me otherwise?
You're also losing out on the fastest updates, Roms notwithstanding. Its a Google phone through and through. But I look back at the GNexus and the GS2. They've run comparable software thanks to the dev community. So perhaps you just lose a few months in terms of updates.

I'd rather have the hardware features than than the software.

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 9:30 am
by madman604
i still fail to see the benefit of being able to shout "first!" when a OS update comes out. 99% of my time is using apps, not going through phone settings. I dunno why some people are so hyped about getting updates first.

as long as i dont get crashes and it runs smooth, i can wait 3 months for updates.

I run customs roms anyways so "pure" Android is useless to me. de-bloated is good tho.