Students

I could not get into any university.I am transferring from Humber college.

Nov 4, 2007
879 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
for an engineering program 72 isnt bad at all.....

my only suggestion is try to contact one of the scools and see if upgrading ur mark in summer scool could give you a better chance of getting in. Get like a 100 on your worse course or something and it may put u over 75?

best of luck though
Apr 24, 2009
80 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have 70+ average in your final year of a tech diploma program, you might want to check out Lakehead in Thunder Bay. You can complete a BEng in chemical engineering in two additional years of study after going through a transition program. The program there is unique in that students can graduate with a tech diploma and an engineering degree. Technology diploma grads can also enter at mid-stream in 3rd year after completion of the transition program. There's more info on their website. Good luck.
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
desi007 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2009 2:10 am
I could not get into any university. I have done 3 year Chemical Engineering Technology diploma and my average stands at 72%.I have tried York,Ryerson,UFT,Carleton. :cry:
BlueHurley wrote:
Apr 21st, 2009 5:41 pm
Try uni's outside ontario.
Edit: He's probably interested in chemical engineering.
How is the OP's situation now? All your posts in this thread are scaring me already.... I need to pick between two colleges that give me firm offers.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Aug 12th, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 18, 2015
826 posts
161 upvotes
Antarctica
^ what program?

If you are taking an engineering technology program, most of them are useless imo. If you want a P.Eng and work as an engineer, don't waste your time and go to a university instead. Work on improving your study habits and HS grades instead of doing a 3 year diploma. That is not even worth 1 year of credits at all Ontario engineering faculties except Lakehead.
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:53 pm
If you are taking an engineering technology program, most of them are useless imo. If you want a P.Eng and work as an engineer, don't waste your time and go to a university instead. Work on improving your study habits and HS grades instead of doing a 3 year diploma. That is not even worth 1 year of credits at all Ontario engineering faculties except Lakehead.
Crichtonfan wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 11:39 am
I would get a degree program if you want to go work abroad. Why limit yourself to the GTA? And tuition should be free at least for this year, even if next govt reverses the free grant stuff, so take on OSAP grants. As for what program will get your a job? IT and software are self-driven careers regardless of school (except for Waterloo if we are talking Ontario schools, because of their intimate ties with employers). If you are not interested or passionate about the field or dont like dealing with new technology on a constant basis you are in for a grueling road to retirement. That said, I have heard nice things about Sheridan and Seneca @York IT programs.
Combining the idea in these two posts, does Crichtofan suggest an engineering technology prospective student to not enroll in a college but a university, get a degree and go abroad for more opportunities, meanwhile get the P.Eng qualification on the way? However, if a prospect has to settle unfortunately for an engineering technology program in college in the GTA, pick only either Seneca or Sheridan.
Sep 2, 2015
59 posts
10 upvotes
East York, ON
gilboman wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 9:12 pm
72 is not a 3.2gpa..its not even a 3.0 :o
gilboman wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2009 9:12 pm
72 is not a 3.2gpa..its not even a 3.0 :o
70 = B = 3.0
Nov 19, 2014
798 posts
219 upvotes
If you're interested in engineering concepts but can't get into engineering school, try a computer science or programming course.

Almost every university and college offers some type of CS/programming diploma or degree. Software engineers that are good make an extremely lucrative living (more than lawyers, CPAs, Pharmacists etc.). Plus, if you're actually a good programmer and you can prove it, there will be plenty of jobs, even if you're out of a small regional Canadian tech school. There are a decent number of BCIT alumns for instance at Microsoft and Amazon.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
Well, I like science in general and application of theory. However, numerous posts reveal that sciences are interesting to be studied. However, the sciences feature tough careers and large debts if a prospect is not at or near the top of his or her field, not to mention politics may factors in at some occasions. Obviously, supporting staff in health sciences are available but they are chasing the paycheck. A woman worked two part time jobs after Michener -- I think -- because she could not find full time work. Law schooling and professions feature high suicide rates. So when I can choose my path at this moment, my question for corner3 follows. If I can get into engineering school, do you mean I shall try computer or program engineering than the science? Or shall I go into economics, finance or actuarial fields?
Nov 19, 2014
798 posts
219 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 1:48 pm
Well, I like science in general and application of theory. However, numerous posts reveal that sciences are interesting to be studied. However, the sciences feature tough careers and large debts if a prospect is not at or near the top of his or her field, not to mention politics may factors in at some occasions. Obviously, supporting staff in health sciences are available but they are chasing the paycheck. A woman worked two part time jobs after Michener -- I think -- because she could not find full time work. Law schooling and professions feature high suicide rates. So when I can choose my path at this moment, my question for corner3 follows. If I can get into engineering school, do you mean I shall try computer or program engineering than the science? Or shall I go into economics, finance or actuarial fields?
Bro, are you serious? You sound so whiny. :rolleyes: Every profession and major has its downfalls. Sorry you can't just waltz into a job because you have a university degree. Welcome to reality.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
O... I tried to improve my expression. I thank you corner3 you pointed out -- Improve my language one sentence at a time. Given that I am a prospect, I can misinterpret the market for science graduate. I have already picked one offer over another. I like applying things that produces results... possibly because I take care of my family in ways.

Also, if my wordings cause you to retrieve your word choices, please let me know.