Careers

I???m working at a new job last week but i want to quit

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 3:16 pm
Mar 13, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

I???m working at a new job last week but i want to quit

I recently started a new job last week, am on 3 months probation i really loved it especially manager and my coworkers are very helpful in my past 2 days i’ve worked. The only thing i was iffy about was the hours and how it takes 1hr to get home from work.

Today My family member found a different job that could benefit me more and guarenteed fulltime with more pay. I know there’s a lot of post about this, i can’t help i have this feeling inside me like guilt that i was wasting my managers / my trainers time. I keep thinking about other people feelings over mine. I was wondering if anyone felt like this overcome that fear and quit their job for something better? Is it an butthole move if i quit my job (that i work 2 days so far)over a different job?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Pikachuchu wrote: I recently started a new job last week, am on 3 months probation i really loved it especially manager and my coworkers are very helpful in my past 2 days i’ve worked. The only thing i was iffy about was the hours and how it takes 1hr to get home from work.

Today My family member found a different job that could benefit me more and guarenteed fulltime with more pay. I know there’s a lot of post about this, i can’t help i have this feeling inside me like guilt that i was wasting my managers / my trainers time. I keep thinking about other people feelings over mine. I was wondering if anyone felt like this overcome that fear and quit their job for something better? Is it an butthole move if i quit my job (that i work 2 days so far)over a different job?
No. You gotta think about yourself.

It sucks, and not a great move on your part but stuff happens.

If your employer had to get rid of you do you think they would be concerned about feeling bad about it? Probably not.
Jul 15, 2003
910 posts
554 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
OldMarriedGuy wrote: No. You gotta think about yourself.

If your employer had to get rid of you do you think they would be concerned about feeling bad about it? Probably not.
Agreed. I used to be like you OP, having feelings for companies and coworkers, but then I realized that at the end of the day, I need to look out for myself. It doesn't mean that I look at every company/coworker negatively, it just means that if a better opportunity comes up (whether it's commute, career path, salary, benefits, etc), I don't think about hurting their feelings because if they want the best for me, they should either offer me something to keep me, or wish me the best and not hold grudges against me.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15619 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
lol 1 hour to get home from work. Seriously?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 25, 2012
92 posts
49 upvotes
If you think new job will benefit you more, go for it . Currently I'm working downtown toronto and making 90k. It takes me about 30 minutes to commute. Love the job/coworkers and not a lot of works to do. I go to school part-time as well. However I have nothing else to learn at my current workplace. So I'm currently in an interview process for another role in different field for 70k and the commute time is going to be triple (1h 40 minutes).
The reason I want to get in this new role because of the skills and experiences I will get from working there . So I can combine my current experiences/skills with skills I get from new role in the future for Solution Architect or Security Architect .

So it is not about money and commute-time . It is more about planning your career path and keep growing.

PS. my previous job I did make more than my current workplace but I switched to learn new skills lol .

Good luck with planning your career path

Regards,
KC
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Look out for yourself and your family. If things changed in the company, they wouldn't feel bad and will drop you in a second.

And 1hr commute is nothing
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
SlickOP wrote: If you think new job will benefit you more, go for it . Currently I'm working downtown toronto and making 90k. It takes me about 30 minutes to commute. Love the job/coworkers and not a lot of works to do. I go to school part-time as well. However I have nothing else to learn at my current workplace. So I'm currently in an interview process for another role in different field for 70k and the commute time is going to be triple (1h 40 minutes).
The reason I want to get in this new role because of the skills and experiences I will get from working there . So I can combine my current experiences/skills with skills I get from new role in the future for Solution Architect or Security Architect .

So it is not about money and commute-time . It is more about planning your career path and keep growing.

PS. my previous job I did make more than my current workplace but I switched to learn new skills lol .

Good luck with planning your career path

Regards,
KC
I'm looking for Security and Solutions Architects, let's talk :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
1 Hour commute! Poor OP.

I went from work from home to 1.5 hr commute.

My longest commute was 2 hours for an amazing job. Would I do that again? 12 years ago yes, right now, nope.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
No. You gotta think about yourself.

Agreed! Only you are responsible for you, not anyone else. Don't feel bad/guilty for a decision that's best for you.

As for the 2 comments below - just because YOU both are OK with spending 2-4 hours commuting each day, doesn't mean everyone else is. You are not better, smarter or tougher or whatever else you think you are because you choose to use your time this way. Others rather spend their time on something that's more meaningful to them, no need to be judgemental or patronizing because you have a different perspective.
bhrm wrote: 1 Hour commute! Poor OP.

I went from work from home to 1.5 hr commute.

My longest commute was 2 hours for an amazing job. Would I do that again? 12 years ago yes, right now, nope.

Cheapo-Findo wrote: lol 1 hour to get home from work. Seriously?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15619 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
5 mins to get to work for me.
hierophant wrote: Agreed! Only you are responsible for you, not anyone else. Don't feel bad/guilty for a decision that's best for you.

As for the 2 comments below - just because YOU both are OK with spending 2-4 hours commuting each day, doesn't mean everyone else is. You are not better, smarter or tougher or whatever else you think you are because you choose to use your time this way. Others rather spend their time on something that's more meaningful to them, no need to be judgemental or patronizing because you have a different perspective.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Agreed! Only you are responsible for you, not anyone else. Don't feel bad/guilty for a decision that's best for you.

Realizing commute AFTER taking a job is pretty shortsighted.

I absolutely make sure my own candidates are 100% okay with commute in the interview process. If they say yup and take the job, it's their choice and decision to commute and also responsibility.

As for walking away from a job so soon, tread very carefully as the world is small.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
the proper way is the continue to work at your current position...and look for a something else too.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: the proper way is the continue to work at your current position...and look for a something else too.
But he already found something else...
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
Probation period works both ways. They are trying you out as a worker, and you are trying out the job. Be polite, tell them you found other work, and give them as much notice as possible. They should understand. No sense burning bridges as you may need them in the future.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
QUit!
Believe me your employer would cut you like a knife
It’s business nothing personal
You have to look after yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: lol 1 hour to get home from work. Seriously?
That would be a long time to me. Especially if it takes similar time to get there. That's a lot of your life wasted.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Kkhan15 wrote: Look out for yourself and your family. If things changed in the company, they wouldn't feel bad and will drop you in a second.

And 1hr commute is nothing
I hour commute is most definitely not nothing. Especially since I don't get the impression that this is a "career" type job. If I'm wrong OP can correct me on that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
OP, it has only been a couple days. You are free to quit (politely) and they haven't lost much - they'll just move on to the next candidate on the list.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: That would be a long time to me. Especially if it takes similar time to get there. That's a lot of your life wasted.
Unfortunately in the GTA almost everywhere is a one hour commute because of traffic.

I’m only about 20-25kms away from work and it takes me almost an hour by transit (drive, park, train and short walk).
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote: Unfortunately in the GTA almost everywhere is a one hour commute because of traffic.

I’m only about 20-25kms away from work and it takes me almost an hour by transit (drive, park, train and short walk).
Exactly the same for me. I do get to work from home but I go into the office in my new job most of the time and due to horrible GTA traffic and taking the train downtown Toronto, it takes about 40-45 mins for me. Then TTC streetcar it a few blocks adds up to about 50-55 minutes.

It's not bad though, as I have a Nintendo Switch to play Smash Brothers on, an iPad to watch movies, a phone to browse the web, a work laptop to do work, a Kindle to read books or I can just sleep. I have tons of options to do in the 40-45 minute ride.