• Mar 21st, 2017 1:25 am
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER

I did not have a link in my signature

Yet it was deleted (by moderators I suppose). What gives?
Last edited by WebDesign on Mar 20th, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
6965 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
You broke a rule I suppose....what was on your sig?
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:31 pm
Yes it was deleted (by moderators I suppose). What gives?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
It said:

"check out tsx-today.com" without any link just like this, text. I have had it for years.
Last edited by WebDesign on Mar 20th, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7663 posts
12257 upvotes
Scarborough
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:35 pm
It said:

"check out tsx-today.com" without any link just like this, text
Clickable link or not, it's a rule violation. I'll be amending the rules so that it's clearer of this fact moving forward. The only exceptions are for BST feedback sites and select photo sharing websites.

I'm assuming you own or have a connection to that website and that also means it violates our rule against self promoting.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
What is the point of signature besides self promotion?
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Signature Policy:
Signatures have a 4 line limit
Maximum font size in signatures is 3
No images are allowed within the signature area
External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings
All standard forum rules apply to signature content

Where is the prohibition of self promotion?

It says "links" not just text. A text url is not a link. Most forums prohibit links to avoid spam.

What you are saying is that you are changing the rules to govern even what is written in them.

A major change like that should be announced.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
"self promotion" is not even mentioned in the rules.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1256 posts
520 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:10 pm
What is the point of signature besides self promotion?
sig·na·ture
/ˈsiɡnəCHər,ˈsiɡnəˌCHo͝or/
noun
noun: signature; plural noun: signatures

A person's name written in a distinctive way as a form of identification in authorizing a check or document or concluding a letter.
•the action of signing a document
"the license was sent to the customer for signature"
•a distinctive pattern, product, or characteristic by which someone or something can be identified.
"the chef produced the pâté that was his signature"

Pretty sure "self-promotion" wasn't a part of the definition though.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Of course those who sign autographs do not do it for self promotion. "sarcasm".
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1256 posts
520 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:14 pm

Where is the prohibition of self promotion?

It says "links" not just text. A text url is not a link. Most forums prohibit links to avoid spam.

What you are saying is that you are changing the rules to govern even what is written in them.

A major change like that should be announced.
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:21 pm
"self promotion" is not even mentioned in the rules.
•Do not spam or advertise (including posting non-RFD affiliate links or referral links)
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
There are no affiliate or referral links in my sig.

Admin himself is posting his facebook and twitter. That is what sigs are, personal introductions, such as your website. No different than a business card.
The rules are, rightly, to avoid affiliate type spam. That has nothing to do with me. My site is my BST: I know what I am talking about and people respect that.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2728 posts
1884 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:35 pm
It said:

"check out tsx-today.com" without any link just like this, text
The word "links" in the Forums Rules is surely used in a broad meaning that includes, hyperlinks, plain text URLs or disguised links using leet, etc. Using these tricks to circumvent (forum) rules and/or a website Terms of Service agreement is as old as the Internet.

RFD signatures must obey the general rules for "posts" and "content" (another word used in its broadest sense in the RFD Forum Rules and RFD ToS)

Check out the statements highlighted in the attached snapshot of the RFD-Forums Rules.

----------
Edit 1:

BTW, blogging and external links to blogs in signature also violate the rules/ToS.

---------
Edit 2:

Advertising (for oneself or a third-party, it doesn't matter) is also an unauthorized use of the forums according to the Red Flag Deals website Terms of Use (item 5. Prohibited Use of the Sites). Idem for solicitation.
Images
Last edited by aviador on Mar 20th, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yare yare daze...
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So you are saying that somehow my own personal website is spamming and advertising? That is a lie.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
aviador wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:12 pm
The word "links" in the Forums Rules is surely used in a broad meaning that includes, hyperlinks, plain text URLs or disguised links using leet, etc. Using these tricks to circumvent (forum) rules and/or a website Terms of Service agreement is as old as the Internet.

RFD signatures must obey the general rules for "posts" and "content" (another word used in its broadest sense)

Check out the statements highlighted in the attached snapshot of the RFD-Forums Rules.
Again there is nothing in the rules about self promotion. I am not even self promoting, I am just introducing myself.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2728 posts
1884 upvotes
WebDesign wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:16 pm
Again there is nothing in the rules about self promotion. I am not even self promoting, I am just introducing myself.
I guess your name is not tsxtoday and the result of googling that word is not even a personal blog (so, you're not introducing yourself) but a company's storefront for selling advertisement slots, services and promoting a larger website it's part of. Soliciting for that company in your signature via a Google search of that company's name (as you're currently doing) can also be construed as advertisement and solicitation irrespective of how you dice it or sugar coat it ("self-introduction".)
yare yare daze...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel