Careers

I didn't receive my final paycheck after a 2 weeks probation.

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 1:58 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts

I didn't receive my final paycheck after a 2 weeks probation.

So I've been hired at a small company in Quebec province and they told me it's going to be a 2 weeks probation. I started on 23th of April and during those 2 weeks I only received a paycheck stub for the first 2 days due to the payroll cycle. Next week on 3th of May, they told me they don't want to continue with me and that I'll receive my final paycheck by the following week... which would have been around the 8th of May. It's been a week since then and I still didn't received the money. I will mention that I did not get to sign any contract and the only document I have from them is that first paycheck stub.

Is there a chance to get my money for those 7 days by filling a complaint with the labour board or I've been scammed and there's no way to get that money?
8 replies
Nov 29, 2017
730 posts
488 upvotes
What did the company say when you inquired?
[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts
Omakase wrote:
May 17th, 2018 12:57 pm
What did the company say when you inquired?
I didn't yet but before I call them, I want to make sure I can threat them with a complaint in case they don't want to give me my final paycheck.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1024 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
So, you're going to go in there with your guns drawn already? It's probably just a finance team blunder. Just call HR and talk to them. They'll get it straightened out.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts
ds2chan wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:14 pm
So, you're going to go in there with your guns drawn already? It's probably just a finance team blunder. Just call HR and talk to them. They'll get it straightened out.
Well it's a worst case scenario and I just wanted to know if in such a situation I could file a complaint in order to get my paycheck.
Last edited by MellowD9 on May 17th, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1024 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
MellowD9 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:38 pm
Well it's a worst case scenario and I just wanted know if in such a situation I could file a complaint in order to get my paycheck.
Gotcha. Good luck with HR. Make sure to double check the paystub when you receive it and make sure it's correct.

[OP]
May 16, 2018
4 posts
ds2chan wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:42 pm
Gotcha. Good luck with HR. Make sure to double check the paystub when you receive it and make sure it's correct.
Thank you. Are there sometimes delays for the final paychecks? Maybe I just panicked for nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8420 posts
1277 upvotes
Markham
OP, just call the HR of the company, why you wasting time here asking a question that none of us can answer for you.

Maybe they don't have the info of your direct deposit? Maybe they sent the cheque in the mail and it didn't arrive yet?
Your answer is just one phone call away.
HR should be very neutral, and don't bite.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1024 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
MellowD9 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:49 pm
Thank you. Are there sometimes delays for the final paychecks? Maybe I just panicked for nothing.
From my experience there isn't. But, sometimes the finance team get the dates wrong about when a person's final day is. I'm not sure how since I assume it should be entered in their system somewhere.

One time, I got paid for an extra 1 or 2 days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)