Shopping Discussion

I dont want to renew my contract with rogers but..

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 7:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 13, 2008
8 posts
Windsor, Ontario

I dont want to renew my contract with rogers but..

i dont want to renew my contract wiht rogers but my phone is broken, i have a spare old phone lying around but i want a new one, or semi new :cheesygri do i have to renew my contract wiht rogers to get the new phone? or can i get it with my contract still continuing.

Thnz =)
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19186 posts
4263 upvotes
Thornhill
clearlyjunk wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 7:12 pm
i dont want to renew my contract wiht rogers but my phone is broken, i have a spare old phone lying around but i want a new one, or semi new :cheesygri do i have to renew my contract wiht rogers to get the new phone? or can i get it with my contract still continuing.

Thnz =)
Depends where you get this new/semi new phone:

Buy from Rogers at full price: No renewal in contract
Buy from Rogers at discounted price: Renewal in contract
Buy from any other source(RFD BST, HoFo BST, Kijiji, etc.): No renewal in contract
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7734 posts
932 upvotes
This is what you do:

Call to cancel, they swill switch you to retentions. Here you ***** and moan about what you want and what you feel you can get elsewhere.

They will give you a wicked plan on a new 3yr contract with a discounted new phone.

So you get your phone, you're happy.

Then, since your plan is so amazing, you can do a Transfer of Responsibility for the contract (post it for sale on the BST/Kijiji/Craigslist). You can make money off the contract depending on how good it is.

Winner!!!!

A little bit of work and you get a brand new, current phone (think: anything you want), for a very very cheap net cost.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
Go to the source, they are clearing out a lot of their phones. So you can get brand new phones for $100-$300, that are a lot cheaper than going through the full price of a rogers store, and even cheaper than buying used phones, depending on the phone.

Or you can get a prepaid phone, and put your sim card in the prepaid phone, but unless you want a full qwerty keyboard (samsung hype for $85), going to the source will probably be better off.