Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 10:17 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2014
727 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

I haven't had McDs in a while. I just went there. Got a Filet O Fish meal + an extra burger. I paid more than $10. WTF? I know there is inflation and all, but McDonald's is way too expensive now IMO. The portion is small too. I don't get full after a meal + extra burger. Maybe I am a big eater but I get "OK" filled with that portion.

But I can also go to a local pizza place and get a medium pepperoni pizza for less than $8. And this pizza gets me "full to the point of puking" if I tried to eat it all.

This has me thinking McDonalds is getting way too expensive. This is kinda shocking for me since I haven't been in a while. Isn't McDonald's supposed to be a volume sell place that caters to the lower income class people generally speaking? I think they are losing their way here a bit with the pricing. I mean, I can go to Subway and get a Footlong sub for $6 and I'd be as full as a standard McD meal, although the McD meal comes with a drink.
997 replies
Oct 31, 2012
584 posts
19 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Agreed, but try their value menu, price isn't bad. I only go to McD's when I am down in the US, where the price is much better.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3834 posts
82 upvotes
Yep, their prices are getting to the point where it makes people think, if I am going to spend $10 on food, I will buy some quality from a food truck or nice restaurant, not at McD's. I love their coffee tho.
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18923 posts
4128 upvotes
Toronto
You don't say ... +1 on the coupon .. or simply don't go.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8087 posts
2891 upvotes
Toronto
Wait for the coupons.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13929 posts
9550 upvotes
Toronto
if you don't want to wait for coupons, buy a SPC card. Gets you a $3.99 combo at McDonalds anytime

https://www.spccard.ca/deals

"McDouble or Junior Chicken sandwich with medium fries & medium soft drink for $3.99 (plus tax).* ONTARIO only "
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4807 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
It's easy to deceive by selling large volumes of heavy simple carb foods for cheaper. Not trying to be health police in this thread but even with fast food you shouldn't go by calories per dollar for pricing.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
791 upvotes
Brampton
for $10 you can go to any shawarma or kebab place and get a full meal, rice/potatoes with a salad and chicken for 10 bucks. Compare that to the ridiculously small amount of food you get at McDicks and it's a no brainer

On a side note, had a McChicken a week or two back and opened up the sandwich to see a bun that was over 25% bigger than the actual chicken itself.. They've downsized on literally every aspect of their food
Discord: ZAvMRrc
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3776 posts
731 upvotes
Sask.
We only go with the coupons - just had my Big Mac fix a few days ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2422 posts
370 upvotes
Medium coffee + muffin = $1.94 taxes in. That excludes the free coffee you get after seven cups. That's good value to me.

I never get anything else from them, though.
Jun 4, 2013
349 posts
7 upvotes
Burlington
Would have to agree with all the points being made. My cousin and I were just talking about this three days ago. It's not worth the price.

I also had the same thought of McDs generally being for lower income people (that's the perception), yet the prices don't exactly reflect that.

I haven't eaten McDs in 6 years other than nuggets but if I were, I too would only go with coupons as I do with Harveys, A&W and Quiznos.

And +1 on only buying in the US. When I could eat McDs back in 2008, I remember the Jr. McChicken here was $1.59 or $1.79 or something on the value menu. In the US the actual McChicken burger was $1 on their value menu. Anyway, now I only eat nuggets and only in the US because it's $5 for 20.

And for sure, for 8 to 10 bucks there are many options out there for better food and probably healthier.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11332 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
elephantrider wrote:
Sep 9th, 2014 7:02 am
Agreed, but try their value menu, price isn't bad. I only go to McD's when I am down in the US, where the price is much better.
There's no free refills in the States, so the savings are hardly savings.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1985 upvotes
Nowhere
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2014 12:06 pm
There's no free refills in the States, so the savings are hardly savings.
A free refill adds little value but they do have free refills in the US. Perhaps you were at an older location. I frequently use McDonalds for free wi-fi when I am in the US and I always get free refills. They didn't have dollar drinks this summer and drinks are no longer on the dollar menu.

As for coupons, you don't have to wait. You can get the make it a meal survey coupon anytime as long as you have an old receipt. You can use the same receipt multiple times. With this coupon, buy a large sandwich and get a medium drink and fries free. I don't go to McDonalds without it.