Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 10:10 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7281 posts
2296 upvotes
ON
Wonder if they'll crack the code on how to make a BLT bagel.
One of the world's greatest mysteries.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 10:30 pm
Wonder if they'll crack the code on how to make a BLT bagel.
One of the world's greatest mysteries.
To be fair, BLT Bagel does have McChicken sauce which doesn't taste like retail available mayonnaise.
But since McDonalds is apparently releasing their McChicken sauce at retail, we'll have to wait for another "news" article from Yahoo to debunk the mysteries.

EDIT: I should start a news website. I think I cracked one of the secrets to the BLT Bagel.
Last edited by death_hawk on Mar 25th, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25658 posts
5838 upvotes
GTHA
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 10:16 pm
Figures it's Yahoo "Finally" figuring out how to make a McMuffin.
What's next? "Finally" figuring out how to write a "news" article that everyone figured out 30 years ago?
How are they still in business?
Fyi, Yahoo! did not write this. They got this from another site.

https://www.popsugar.com/food/Homemade- ... e-37941512
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 11:08 pm
Fyi, Yahoo! did not write this. They got this from another site.
I wonder if that site paid for it to be there or if Yahoo ripped it off and posted it.
Outside of the "author" spot, I see no reference to the original site.

Also that doesn't help their credibility either.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25658 posts
5838 upvotes
GTHA
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 11:11 pm
I wonder if that site paid for it to be there or if Yahoo ripped it off and posted it.
Outside of the "author" spot, I see no reference to the original site.

Also that doesn't help their credibility either.
Yahoo! News is a news aggregator. They post articles from other websites and news services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_News
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
What IS interesting is their french fry recipe:
https://www.popsugar.com/food/Homemade- ... e-37204857

I question it however, since McDonalds makes no mention of corn syrup and they use canola over peanut oil.
Also lard tallow hasn't been in use for quite some time in the US or Canada.
That also makes me question the beef boullion.
However, this is (probably) a US site and the US DOES in fact have meat (well "Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*)" in their fries so the bouillon might replicate US fries.

The recipe writer is stupid for other reasons though.
Even though the beef boullion is optional, they make no mention of where to use it.
Plus there's a discrepancy between the fridge and the freezer. You're supposed to put it in the fridge but remove it from the freezer?

As with most recipes, this is just stupid.
But I may take the concept of it (beef bouillon) and make it my own.
Jan 14, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
CupOfCats wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 8:50 pm
Coupons in the post save a few bucks, but when I go there with my wife and son, he has the happy meal and we get two meals or I get a burger and poutine my bill is close to $20.

I'm really shocked the amount of people without much money can afford to go in there all the time, it isn't a cheap place to eat anymore.

I can get 3 schwarma's for cheaper, or buy a whole chicken at Metro with some sides and have money left over.

What happened to Mcdonalds being cheap and nasty? Now it's nasty and expensive
Seriously, a lot of you need to give your head a shake. Restaurants operate on super slim margins, that's why most of them fail. The industry average is about 3-6% That means for every 100k in revenue the restaurant is making 3-6k profit.

McDonalds isn't really all that expensive. If you want to compare eating out to buying groceries at home then yea, it obviously coasts more but that's not exactly rocket science or a fair comparison.

People in here who are complaining about MCdonalds being expensive are probably the same ones who are bitching about the cost of hydro, gas, insurance, smaller grocery packaging, higher grocery costs, higher rent or housing costs, higher property taxes & lots of other things

It's not like businesses are exempt from these things. Newsflash people: Wages, rent, hydro, gas, insurance, food costs all have increased just as much and in a lot of cases more for the restaurants then for yourselves. Not to mention there's an additional 13% tax on top that you don't pay at the grocery store.

If you want to argue that Mcdonalds food tastes terrible that's one thing, but it's not expensive at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3379 posts
1328 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
McDonald's did used to be cheap in comparison to other things though. Now, not so much. Maybe if you strictly buy off the value menu it is cheap, but not if you want other stuff.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
This is interesting.
I tried the auto order machine at dinner time. I had a coupon for a $3.79 breakfast combo.
The machine simply asked me to manually enter the coupon code, so I did. Then machine insisted that the combo price is only $3.69.
Thanks! I think I'll use the machine more often and save a dime if this behavior keeps up! lol
(I was also able to replace the coffee with a small iced tea for only 5 cents more, and small fries to replace the hash brown at no extra charge. New price came to $3.74 plus tax)
May 20, 2012
91 posts
8 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I went in a McDonalds recently, for the first time in about 15 years. Couldn't believe how dirty it was, and what low quality food they were serving. Surely there are better options for people looking for a cheap meal?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 9:57 pm
(I was also able to replace the coffee with a small iced tea for only 5 cents more, and small fries to replace the hash brown at no extra charge. New price came to $3.74 plus tax)
This is one really neat thing about the machine.
You have options that you'd never know were possible with the regular menu.
I get iced coffee all the time. Never knew I could add espresso to it until the automated kiosk.
It's actually kind of neat to explore when you have time.
van800 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 10:30 pm
I went in a McDonalds recently, for the first time in about 15 years. Couldn't believe how dirty it was, and what low quality food they were serving. Surely there are better options for people looking for a cheap meal?
Really? Every experience I've had in most locations has been the exact opposite of what you just said.
Well except the cheap part. They're getting expensive. But the cleanliness and quality have been WAY up compared to 10-15 years ago.
Hell, they serve ghirardelli.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
^I can argue that while the washrooms seemed to be kept well, the table cleaning at one location was lacking.
Oct 12, 2009
300 posts
69 upvotes
colossk1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 10:23 am
Seriously, a lot of you need to give your head a shake. Restaurants operate on super slim margins, that's why most of them fail. The industry average is about 3-6% That means for every 100k in revenue the restaurant is making 3-6k profit.

McDonalds isn't really all that expensive. If you want to compare eating out to buying groceries at home then yea, it obviously coasts more but that's not exactly rocket science or a fair comparison.

People in here who are complaining about MCdonalds being expensive are probably the same ones who are bitching about the cost of hydro, gas, insurance, smaller grocery packaging, higher grocery costs, higher rent or housing costs, higher property taxes & lots of other things

It's not like businesses are exempt from these things. Newsflash people: Wages, rent, hydro, gas, insurance, food costs all have increased just as much and in a lot of cases more for the restaurants then for yourselves. Not to mention there's an additional 13% tax on top that you don't pay at the grocery store.

If you want to argue that Mcdonalds food tastes terrible that's one thing, but it's not expensive at all.
Mcdonalds is expensive when there are cheaper alternatives out there. Mcdonalds always had that reputation as the cheapest out there but it isn't. Most of the places I go to work out better value for money, but I'm surprised how many people who aren't well off continue to go there. Although our household income is around 150k a year, eating there isn't an issue, but because I grew up on a council estate, budgeting and looking for a deal is just part of who I am. Whenever I go to the local one I'm surprised when people obviously who haven't got a pot to piss in can afford the amount they buy
2010 Contest Wins: 0
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
Not too many places you can still get a burger for $2.