Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 5:40 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
470 upvotes
Thornhill
Sanyo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 10:54 pm
With Ontario new minimum wage, no doubt food is going to be mighty expensive soon.... $10 big mac combos are on the way.
I thought they are already $10. They are in touristy areas and every time I buy a combo and upgrade the fries, I am at around that mark. They suffering though because of the prices people are not going as often. I used to go maybe 4 times a month,but now once every 5-6 weeks. It's just not worth $10. I just go to taco bell/kfc for their $5 boxes.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4485 posts
2215 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:50 pm
I thought they are already $10. They are in touristy areas and every time I buy a combo and upgrade the fries, I am at around that mark. They suffering though because of the prices people are not going as often. I used to go maybe 4 times a month,but now once every 5-6 weeks. It's just not worth $10. I just go to taco bell/kfc for their $5 boxes.
Will become $7 soon
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2502 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
So has anyone sat down and done the math for what percentage of the total cost of a Big Mac is actually labour?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7447 posts
2401 upvotes
ON
dazz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:50 pm
They suffering though because of the prices people are not going as often. I used to go maybe 4 times a month,but now once every 5-6 weeks. It's just not worth $10.
They need to sit down and do some more number crunching on their products if they want to be #1
There comes a point when it makes more sense to reduce your price and make less profit per product knowing that volume will make up for it and you'll net the same money.
In the process, your customers are happier, and there are a lot more of them to spread the word.
Be too expensive, and you turn everyone off. Fewer people come, you keep raising the rates to make money and fewer still. The cycle eventually ends you.

In some businesses, they probably do this because people will still pay it. It becomes a game of how high can you make it before they finally say no. But the small number still pay it so you still get your money. No need to make people happy. e.g. 407 tolls (lol)

But for a company like McD's - their reputation has been cheap food, fast. If they lose the cheap and only have the fast, do they have much of a competitive place in the market? Probably not.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11198 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:33 pm
So has anyone sat down and done the math for what percentage of the total cost of a Big Mac is actually labour?
That "Labour" is paid the same whether there are 2 customers or 20...it's a wage by the hour, not by the burger.
Apr 22, 2014
762 posts
178 upvotes
, ON
I only go for their breakfast menu and that is it. Not worth paying close to $10 for their burgers.
You can go to Harveys and get 100x better quality and taste for burgers.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3309 posts
440 upvotes
I only eat their angus burger or seriously chicken, to me it is pretty good value. I use the coupons
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4013 posts
312 upvotes
Food anywhere & everywhere is getting more expensive than it used to be. Even mom & pop shops that I frequent have had price increases sometime in the last 18 months. Wages increase, lease rates increase, food costs increase, believe it or not, overwhelming majority of restaurants make very little profit. It has the highest failure/bankruptcy rate of any business
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18766 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Just went to my local McDonald and med coffee price went up by $0.02 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Weird.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11198 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 10:24 am
Just went to my local McDonald and med coffee price went up by $0.02 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Weird.
I'm guessing it's so they get the two pennies no matter what now whether you pay cash or with your bank card.
(the digital penny is forever, with no rounding)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
3344 posts
663 upvotes
What's the least expensive item on the menu at McDonald's nowadays ... (including drinks etc etc)
Jul 26, 2015
378 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:22 pm
What's the least expensive item on the menu at McDonald's nowadays ... (including drinks etc etc)
people said it's the special sauces or 50 cent cookies
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14065 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
Wait till the min wage increases to $15.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11198 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
The Mcdonald's I went to raised their beverage prices and now it's ten cents more for ordering iced tea, which defeats the purpose of not having to pay 13% for the small pop.
(iced tea is only 5% taxable)
I did not clue into the price increase right away, but I still saved 5 cents, lol
For free cheeseburger day (Sept 18, 2017)
The free cheeseburger plus the small iced tea came to $1.75. ($1.69 plus 5% tax, vs a pop price of $1.59 plus 13% tax)
Thankfully, there's free refills and I was at a location with self serve pop.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26181 posts
6055 upvotes
GTHA
Some U.S. news...

McDonald's is finally planning to roll out a replacement for the Dollar Menu — and it could be the biggest fast-food news in years
http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonald ... nt-2017-10
- McDonald's is rolling out a new value menu in 2018.
- The menu will offer items priced at $1, $2, and $3.
- McDonald's has struggled to attract budget-conscious customers since killing the Dollar Menu in 2014.

McDonald’s traffic grows again, solidifying CEO’s turnaround
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/76 ... urnaround/
McDonald's domestic same-store sales gained 4.1 per cent in the third-quarter, compared with an average estimate of 3.4 per cent. Globally, the measure gained six per cent, which also topped estimates.

Easterbrook, 50, has built his comeback on a revamped menu — including cheaper drinks, premium burgers and all-day breakfast in the U.S. — along with a push to franchise more of its restaurants globally.