Food & Drink

I feel like McDonald's is getting too expensive.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 5:58 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
rossandmarita wrote: Not just Mcdonalds. Only place semi cheap is subway with a coupon, but then again, is that food?
Vietnamese subs are better, more filling for less than half a subway price. ALL fast food joints are rip-off's giving you as little as possible for the max price as possible. Otherwise they be bankrupt.
Last edited by aznnorth on Jun 23rd, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
rossandmarita wrote: Only place semi cheap is subway with a coupon, but then again, is that food?
Legally speaking, yes Subway sub is food.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
mrweather wrote: What the heck is a “7:1 beef patty”?
7 patties = 1 pound of beef. So 2 patties would be 2/7 of a lb (or a bit more than a quarter pounder).

Standard McD's patties are 10:1 (or 1/10th of a lb each). So a Grand Big Mac has 43% more beef than a normal Big Mac, or 7% more beef than a Quarter Pounder.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
I had no idea this thread even existed. I can remember when I was a kid, the extra value meal was $3.33. Nowadays, I don't really eat anything at McDonald's except for the fries since I accumulate those stamps from the coffees that I buy. Out of everyone I know, I'm probably the only guy that actually likes the coffee at McDonald's. I pretty much buy one cup from there every day since there is a McDonald's like a 2-minute drive from my house.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
2000 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: I had no idea this thread even existed. I can remember when I was a kid, the extra value meal was $3.33. Nowadays, I don't really eat anything at McDonald's except for the fries since I accumulate those stamps from the coffees that I buy. Out of everyone I know, I'm probably the only guy that actually likes the coffee at McDonald's. I pretty much buy one cup from there every day since there is a McDonald's like a 2-minute drive from my house.
Lots of people I know are fans of MCD coffee far better than TH
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
rb wrote: Lots of people I know are fans of MCD coffee far better than TH
The demand for Starbucks Blonde is on the rise, but they don't have enough drive through locations.
If we are strictly talking about walk in (to go) traffic one might argue that Starbucks is now beating out MCD and TH
simply because they got rid of the self serve section. (due to Covid)
Their coffee, when ordered as a "double double" is fully loaded, done by staff, not by the customer until further notice.
This puts them on a level playing field where you literally grab a coffee and go.
It's still a lot more expensive to order a coffee and an English muffin sandwich @ Starbucks than anywhere else though.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
rb wrote: Lots of people I know are fans of MCD coffee far better than TH
When I first started drinking coffee in grade 12, I was a Starbucks addict. This continued through my years at UBC. I forgot which year when McDonald's changed their coffee. They had this advertisement blitz and I gave it a try. Since then, I've changed. Before, McDonald's coffee was terrible. After the change, the taste was like night and day. I feel like McDonald's nailed it in terms of value for the coffee. It's not the most expensive and tastes relatively good. Starbucks just seems downright expensive now even though I do like the taste of their coffees. I know some people will mention the specialty coffee stores, but I'm slow in the morning and will not drive out of the way to get coffee.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
playnicee1 wrote: The demand for Starbucks Blonde is on the rise, but they don't have enough drive through locations.
If we are strictly talking about walk in (to go) traffic one might argue that Starbucks is now beating out MCD and TH
simply because they got rid of the self serve section. (due to Covid)
Their coffee, when ordered as a "double double" is fully loaded, done by staff, not by the customer until further notice.
This puts them on a level playing field where you literally grab a coffee and go.
It's still a lot more expensive to order a coffee and an English muffin sandwich @ Starbucks than anywhere else though.
I don't know what Toronto is like since I haven't been everywhere in the city, but Vancouver doesn't have that many drive-through locations. They're mainly concentrated in the outer edges of Vancouver and in the suburbs. I can only think of one Starbucks with a drive-through in the more central areas of Vancouver right now.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: When I first started drinking coffee in grade 12, I was a Starbucks addict. This continued through my years at UBC. I forgot which year when McDonald's changed their coffee. They had this advertisement blitz and I gave it a try. Since then, I've changed. Before, McDonald's coffee was terrible. After the change, the taste was like night and day. I feel like McDonald's nailed it in terms of value for the coffee. It's not the most expensive and tastes relatively good. Starbucks just seems downright expensive now even though I do like the taste of their coffees. I know some people will mention the specialty coffee stores, but I'm slow in the morning and will not drive out of the way to get coffee.
McDonald’s Canada introduced its reformulated “premium blend” Arabica medium roast coffee in 2009 with a promotion that gave it away to customers for free for two weeks, the beginning of an annual tradition. In 2011, it began widely rolling out its in-store McCafé espresso bars to its locations across Canada. All the while, it has been not-so-subtly promoting its coffee’s taste as vastly superior to the old version, and it clearly worked.

https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... ne-deepens
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Dhanushan wrote: McDonald’s Canada introduced its reformulated “premium blend” Arabica medium roast coffee in 2009 with a promotion that gave it away to customers for free for two weeks, the beginning of an annual tradition. In 2011, it began widely rolling out its in-store McCafé espresso bars to its locations across Canada. All the while, it has been not-so-subtly promoting its coffee’s taste as vastly superior to the old version, and it clearly worked.

https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... ne-deepens
As someone who tried the old version, I can definitely say that's true.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
Sgt_Strider wrote: As someone who tried the old version, I can definitely say that's true.
Agreed. Rotten Ronnie’s coffee used to be crap.
Nov 6, 2006
702 posts
96 upvotes
Montréal
Just saw this mcmuffin offer on the apps.
2-3 years ago this offer were at 3.5$ now 5$ !!!!!
Images
  • Screenshot_20210716-075215.png
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
waltereo wrote: Just saw this mcmuffin offer on the apps.
2-3 years ago this offer were at 3.5$ now 5$ !!!!!
There are no good offers or coupons right now because it's $1 drink days
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1074 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Regular price here for an egg mcmuffin meal is $6.89 + 13% tax ($7.79).
Let that sink in.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Inflation and Fixed/Variable overhead are driving up prices. That's not what mcdonalds wants you to hear though. They want you to think that minimum wage increases are pushing up the price of your mcfood...

McDonalds Minimum Wage Increase
More specifically, they estimated that a 10% minimum-wage increase leads to a 1.4% increase in the price of a Big Mac.
That 1.4% is miniscule when compared to the increases in Fuel for deliveries, insurance, supplies... But hey, lets blame the minimum wage...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kr0zet wrote: Inflation and Fixed/Variable overhead are driving up prices. That's not what mcdonalds wants you to hear though. They want you to think that minimum wage increases are pushing up the price of your mcfood...

McDonalds Minimum Wage Increase

That 1.4% is miniscule when compared to the increases in Fuel for deliveries, insurance, supplies... But hey, lets blame the minimum wage...
If they can raise prices while minimizing backlash, turn the public against the government and get more tax cuts, boy will they do it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
voltagedrop wrote: Regular price here for an egg mcmuffin meal is $6.89 + 13% tax ($7.79).
Let that sink in.
If that is true, then it is cheaper to buy it all separately.
$3.89 for the sandwich alone (in Ontario) means only 5% tax (for paying less than $4)
then pay separately for a coffee. ($1)
and (if desired) a hash brown for another dollar.
Total = $5.89 (before tax), but you save MORE than a dollar because you also pay only 5% tax instead of 13% for paying for each one separately.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1074 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: If that is true, then it is cheaper to buy it all separately.
$3.89 for the sandwich alone (in Ontario) means only 5% tax (for paying less than $4)
then pay separately for a coffee. ($1)
and (if desired) a hash brown for another dollar.
Total = $5.89 (before tax), but you save MORE than a dollar because you also pay only 5% tax instead of 13% for paying for each one separately.
McMuffin is $4.39 (hash brown is $1.99) at my nearby locations, so it's already above the 5% threshold for just the sandwich. Sausage or chicken mcmuffins without egg are the only ones below $4 now.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210716-104740.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)